Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Then do you think Ken Starr should have stopped investigation the Clinton's Whitewater real estate deal that ended up finding out about Monica giving a blow job in the White House that lead to Clinton lying and going through an impeachment hearing? That took years and the Mueller investigation is in its infancy by comparison. Trump is not above the law.
I believed then, and believe now, that a Special Counsel should be limited to a specific purpose. In Clinton's case, Whitewater; in Mueller's case. links/coordination between members of the Trump campaign and the Russian gov't. to interfere with the election.

If a Special Counsel discovers unrelated potential criminal activity, we should have a permanent department he could refer the matters to. We could call it something like Federal Bureau of Investigations or Department of Justice.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:35 AM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Other than failing to distract from the topic of this thread, and miserably so, do you have any coherent comment that is relevant to the discussion at hand? Cohen is in legal peril and this does not reflect well on the sitting president at all. Cohen knows this. Trump knows this. Cohen was smart to tell the world that the FBI agents were courteous and professional. If he knows what is best for him, Cohen should take a hard look at the evidence the SDNY will have on him, and consider cooperating with the DOJ on other ongoing investigations.
What you are saying is that it's OK to intimidate anyone who represents a party so that they "cooperate" against that person.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That's what I've thought as well. He owns a condo in Trump Tower, he's paying for a room at Loew's Hotel, he's a NY power attorney - why does he have to borrow $130K?
Exactly!

Old 04-12-2018, 10:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You know, if the FBI started digging in my personal finances I would sit back and relax, because I have nothing to hide. What you're suggesting is that anyone who is under federal investigation should be able to say, hey, wait a minute, if you look there you're going to find a crime! No fair! You need to stop now, before you find ALL my crimes!

Yeah, in what world does the criminal get to make that determination?
Maybe Trump supporters suffer from the same aversion to following mere laws

Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
so, as a lawyer, you've yet to see anything illegal in the FBI raid of cohen's office and home.
What could be considered illegal about it? Since it was outside their scope, Mueller passed on info of crimes his team discovered to the Southern district of NY. They then presented enough evidence to a judge who granted a warrant.

You think the authorities and the DA, with a case this much in the spotlight and directly tied to the President of the United States, didn't cross their T's and dot their I's? People think they didn't do this by the book?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Oh is this yet another poster that doesn't understand how pardons work?

So then they depose Cohen and he can no longer plead the fifth. Tell me how that helps Trump again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
How is violating election finances a state level crime?

No true. He can issue a blanket pardon even if he hasn't been charged with a crime

I don't? He can still refuse to answer. Then what? Contempt charges? Pardon.

Last straw? I think a lot of people, including Republicans, are outraged by the overreach of Mueller & Co.

All of this might fire up the liberal base, but it sure as hell also fires up the conservative base.
I'm not certain he can refuse to answer after receiving a pardon, unless he is pleading the Fifth to different crimes than those for which he was pardoned.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You know, if the FBI started digging in my personal finances I would sit back and relax, because I have nothing to hide. What you're suggesting is that anyone who is under federal investigation should be able to say, hey, wait a minute, if you look there you're going to find a crime! No fair! You need to stop now, before you find ALL my crimes!

Yeah, in what world does the criminal get to make that determination?
How easy would it be for the FBI to plant something?

And if they started going through your finances, but then evolved into looking into every other aspect of your life, including your entire family, everyone you've ever worked with, etc, you would be fine with that? You've never even so much as driven over the speed limit?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM

26,584 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It is bizarre. The day after the 'raid' and Trump's colorful description of FBI knocking down doors, Cohen purposely and knowingly contradicts that image by stating the FBI politely knocked and were very professional.

Why say anything -- it seems odd.
agreed.

i'm trying not to read too much into it but...... it is bizarre that trump and cohen have, from what i've seen, always maintained a united combative front. in this situation trump is having an absolute melt-down while cohen is acting like he had friends over for afternoon tea.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Wow, that's SO related to the Russia investigation.
SO unfair. The search warrant was for illegal drugs, it's pure coincidence they came across the bomb-making factory in my garage. Police state!

Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM

26,584 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
How easy would it be for the FBI to plant something?
cohen admitted to paying stormy daniels which, if done to benefit the campaign, is an illegal campaign contribution.

no need for planting on that front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies