Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm not so sure about Trump himself not being guilty of crimes.

Apparently, he is careful to not use email, and to use cutouts like Cohen for a lot of things, but I don't buy that he was Mr. Magoo wandering cluelessly through a nest of criminals and traitors.
Good point. Perhaps I should've also said that it would not surprise me at all if Trump is guilty of a crime and Mueller does find a "gotcha" piece of evidence. Ha.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWonderWoman View Post
To everyone who is gloating over this. Today Trump, Cohen, etc., tomorrow or next week it will be You, your kid, your father, your sister. When is this underhanded crap going to stop?
If I did something illegal, I'd expect it.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Did you say FBI or was that the KGB?
Clearly not the KGB. The KGB would never challenge anything Putin did because it's not an independent agency. This was the FBI whose employees are sworn to uphold the Constitution and do not have to pledge loyalty to the president.

Thank goodness for our Constitution and the foresight of our founders.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh I think it's very likely that Trump is considering firing Mueller. What would happen then?
I think so too, but if this raid on Cohen is the straw that breaks the camel's back it is misguided. Technically the investigation of Cohen will proceed full force because it is being handled differently and for different reasons.

If Trump shuts down that investigation and fires Mueller too, it will have far worse consequences for Trump than even merely firing Mueller. It would establish a pattern of obstruction of justice.

This separate investigation is a second harpoon in the Great White Whale.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have made much the same point before. It is well known that Mr. Trump has difficulty in not blurting out things that would better be left unsaid (witness, when he first became President, his meeting with some Russians in the Oval Office where he apparently spilled some secret concerning Israel).

Thus, I can see where those around him, wishing him to beat the odds and become President, may have entered into conspiracies with Russians and Wikileaks, to name but two, to improve his chances. Yet, knowing how Mr. Trump is, keeping him well 'out of the loop'.

Indeed, that day when Candidate Trump suddenly asked Russia to get the missing Clinton emails (I still think he was joking), those like Manafort et al may have been gasping in shock, but thankful that Mr. Trump was utterly ignorant of what was going on behind the scenes.

To me, the question is: did Mr. Trump subsequently discover what his team had been doing, and 'covered up' for them? Again, it is similar to Mr. Nixon: he did not order or know about the break-in to the Democratic party headquarters in the Watergate complex; however, once he was informed it was his own people (three days after the break-in), he, loyal to a fault, began to engage in the cover-up.
You are too kind.

I doubt that Trump was the mastermind here. But if he didn't know what was going on at the start, he surely knew before long, and definitely knows now.

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
After Referral from Mueller, Federal Prosecutor Sends FBI to Raid Office of Trump’s Lawyer
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-office-trumps
You seem to miss the point
That this was what Rosenstein promised when he testified to Congress about how Mueller would proceed if he found evidence that a crime not related to the Russia investigation was uncovered during that same investigation
Rosenstein said that Mueller would come to him with the evidence
They would discuss how to proceed
So they did...

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
Yeah sorry but no other investigation resulted in revealing corrupt close associates of a president ever:

- campaign manager
- closest personal lawyer
- multiple associates
- national security head

involved in either money laundering, conspiring against the U.S., bank fraud, lying to FBI, soliciting on behalf of foreign governments.

All proved with court documents.

This is the most corrupt administration ever, by a long distance.

And the investigation is not even close to ending yet.
Granted, lots of corruption in this administration and yes, it may well be the most corrupt ever which doesn't come as any surprise to those familiar with how Trump has always done business (like me).

But to put it in context, Nixon's first VP resigned in disgrace, several of his closest WH associates were convicted and jailed in connection to the Watergate scandal, and he himself resigned in disgrace.
There were 48 total convictions as a result of that investigation.
Still a ways to go to match that for this one.

Having lived through that, some of us are old enough to have seen the current imbroglio coming many, many miles away. There are many parallels between Nixon and Trump - paranoia and hubris at the top of the list.

But to my original point, only those who were either born yesterday or with absolute blinders on believe that Trump has been singled out for some treatment never before seen in the history of this country.
And if they genuinely are not aware, well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Sadly, I will admit -- rather than be disgusted by all this, discouraged, angered -- I'm highly entertained. It's almost better than this season of Homeland.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 AM

1,239 posts, read 511,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Dershowitz has gotten all weird lately. Does he want to handle the appeal that will arise from any actions from the investigations?

In any case, I read some things he said about this Cohen search and seizure warrant, but I stopped when he talked about Mueller doing it. Because Dershowitz was WRONG. This wasn't a Mueller action. This was a New York state action against Cohen for bank and wire fraud (felonies).

Everything about this seems to have been done by the book. Lots of people signed off on it.

Dershowitz seems to have lost his magic. When you aren't careful to have the facts before you speak about them, you are no longer an ace attorney.
I think Dershowitz goal would be to step in towards the end.
He probably doesn't think he could win defending Trump, but if steps in later in the process, he can still be in all the history books without being known as the guy who defended a traitor.

I think he negotiates Trump's surrender (resigning as President, or prison terms after he is no longer President).

Old 04-10-2018, 08:59 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
If I did something illegal, I'd expect it.
Would you be ok with the cops going through every traffic camera, street camera or store camera to find something you may have done a decade or more ago then throw charges at you? That's not how it works and is actually illegal. There is thing called probable cause that MUST be there or it's a violation of the 4th. Probable cause isn't some blanket accusation that covers everything, it MUST be specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies