Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Most of Cohen's crimes are going to be at the State level. There isn't a thing Trump will be able to do about that.
How is violating election finances a state level crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
To get a pardon he'd have to admit guilt. How could that help Trump for Cohen to admit, for example, to paying off three people just before the election to keep quite about Trump's sex life and using campaign funds to do it? Trump would having nothing to gain by giving him a pardon and much to lose no matter the charges. Trump is for Trump.
No true. He can issue a blanket pardon even if he hasn't been charged with a crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Oh is this yet another poster that doesn't understand how pardons work?

So then they depose Cohen and he can no longer plead the fifth. Tell me how that helps Trump again?
I don't? He can still refuse to answer. Then what? Contempt charges? Pardon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
That puts Trump is a very awkward position. He's screwed either way.

If Trump pardons Cohen, that could be the last straw for enough republicans. If Trump allows Cohen to fry and doesn't intervene, Cohen might flip to save himself, and tell Mueller everything.

Trump is a scumbag, he's put himself in this awful position and the only thing he can point a finger at is a mirror.
Last straw? I think a lot of people, including Republicans, are outraged by the overreach of Mueller & Co.

All of this might fire up the liberal base, but it sure as hell also fires up the conservative base.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Most of Cohen's crimes are going to be at the State level. There isn't a thing Trump will be able to do about that.
Not federal election campaign fraud---
And I bet there is evidence of that

Any conspiracy across a state line in furtherance of a crime is Federal charge I believe

So I am sure there will be a grocery list of charges once they sift through the information and sort it out...

Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
How is violating election finances a state level crime?
That's one of many federal crimes they might find. It's nice to see that Cohen was so quickly able to acclimate himself to the federal level.

The thing is, Cohen cut his teeth as a criminal [&] lawyer in NY. He's been covering for Trump and himself for decades here. They will find charge after charge until he breaks (if he hasn't already).

Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Allow me to expand on the Presidential pardon:

Article II, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Constitution (as applicable): "he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

Note that 'reprieves' is also known as 'clemency'. Essentially, from my understanding, a person that has been convicted of a crime is granted 'clemency' by the President. Hence, when Presidents are getting ready to leave office, they frequently grant 'clemency' (or a reprieve, if you wish) to individuals already charged or convicted of a crime, and sometimes actually sitting in prison. It is a type of pardon, but is a forgiveness or commutation of a sentence, or stopping a sentence from being imposed if not yet done.

A Presidential Pardon is more wide-ranging. Again, Mr. Nixon had not been charged with a crime. Mr. Ford granted a 'pardon' for any crimes that Mr. Nixon may have committed during the Watergate cover-up. Mr. Nixon could no longer be charged with a crime.

A pardon may also 'wipe out' the criminal offense, if the person was already convicted. That appears to be more rare from Presidents. However, you often read about a Governor granting a petitioning convicted person a full pardon, which wipes the conviction literally off the books.

In Louisiana (as I learned some years back, concerning a friend of mine), they called it a 'Gold Star' pardon. My friend (whom had been arrested with his brother for importing marijuana, with the brother being the 'ringleader') received such a Gold Star pardon by the Governor (after sitting in prison for two years), and so he did not have to report the felony conviction when applying for jobs or such.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Everybody gets that if he issues a pardon to someone indicted/under investigation he's 100% done for in the public eye even if he personally never gets caught for anything?

It'll be seen as an admission of a cover up. The only thing more important than whether you're guilty or innocent in court when it comes to politics is the public image.

A pardon also doesn't stop people from being forced to talk to authorities.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
I didn't catch the entire story but I heard last night that Cohen is also being investigated for taxi medallions being used to evade taxes?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:13 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I didn't catch the entire story but I heard last night that Cohen is also being investigated for taxi medallions being used to evade taxes?
Wow, that's SO related to the Russia investigation.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:20 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting they should ignore other crimes they come across?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Why is the Russia investigation relevant to an independent inquiry of wrongdoing by the US Attorney and the FBI that has nothing to do with the Special Counsel investigation? This is like you getting pulled over by the cops for speeding and telling the officer that he shouldn't issue you a ticket because it has nothing to do with Russia. Dumb.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
It's not and that is why Mueller referred it to the Deputy AG, who in turn referred it to the SDNY and FBI for follow-up. If it was related to the Russia investigation, Mueller would have dealt with it himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies