Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Explain why that’s any different than Haiti or El Salvador?
For one thing, El Salvador experienced very slow growth of 2.2% GDP last year. While completely unexceptional, that is growth. Venezuela is about to devalue their own currency again. El Salvador has private hospitals that are in operation. Malaria is uncommon. That is just the start.

Haiti I answered above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You're flailing so hard. The fact is, you're never going to be able to justify how Trump selectively treats different nations in crisis. If you were truly objective and truly cared about any of these people, you would be equally troubled by his inconsistency as the rest of us are.
I don't believe that you care at all. You just want to point fingers and make accusations.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM

309 posts, read 246,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
For one thing, El Salvador experienced very slow growth of 2.2% GDP last year. While completely unexceptional, that is growth. Venezuela is about to devalue their own currency again. El Salvador has private hospitals that are in operation. Malaria is uncommon. That is just the start.

Haiti I answered above.

So now, GDP, Number of private hospitals and Malaria are the criteria? Few minutes ago, you said Infant Mortality. Please let us know what is correct criteria

Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
We have helped (tried to help) Haiti. Maybe we should discuss where all the money to Haiti has gone and whose foundation played a large role in the Haiti crisis.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...-2016-37826098

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...on-foundation/

Furthermore, Haiti is obviously an island. Venezuela's crisis threatens the recovery of other neighboring nations who are prior to now had tentatively improving their problems.

From the article below:

"Some analysts say the international community has failed to acknowledge the dimensions of the crisis. Some resist terms like “refugee crisis” because, unlike Syria, Venezuela is not a war zone, said Dany Bahar, an economist with the Brookings Institution.

“But, to be honest, if you look at the numbers, the humanitarian crisis that is happening in Venezuela is as bad [as] in any country having a civil war,” Mr. Bahar told a panel last week on the crisis at the Washington-based Inter-American Dialogue think tank.

Colombia and Brazil, which share long land borders with Venezuela, have been under particular pressure. They initially tried to accommodate the fleeing Venezuelans but tightened their border controls in recent days as thousands continued to pour into their territory.

“The borders are unstable at the moment due to both the humanitarian situation and to the number of criminal and violent actors,” Ivan Briscoe, Bogota-based Latin America director with the International Crisis Group, told the news website RefugeesDeeply.com. “I do not think that Colombia has either the resources or experience to be able to manage a large outflow of migrants on its own.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.was...n-wave-south-/
Fine ... so send some money to Colombia - Brazil to help out. No problem. I'm not quite sure why any of this leads to need to "import" Venezuelans. How many can we take and what about the ones left behind - the crisis is widespread.

No problem with some Venezuela immigrants but I'm not quite sure why they go to the head of the list ahead of other populations.

We used to give priority-status to populations fleeing Communism. Like I said ... it really sounds like Trump's criteria is "white" and "christian."

As for national interest ... there was no national interest greater than the promises we abrogated by not providing safe refuge to Iraqi interpreters who risked their lives and that of their families by aiding the US. That failure does not serve the US well for any future guarantees it might wish to make.

As for any blowback ... Trump did this to himself. By acting as he's done in the past to now call "humanity" is pretty unconvincing.

No one likes a hypocrite.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
That has been debunked about 1000 times.

Regardless, apart from the humanitarian aspect, the crisis in Venezuela affects the stability of the region and needs to be addressed.

Would you prefer for him to do nothing? Would that make you happy? Then you could more easily continue with the standard "he's mean" complaint.
I'd prefer for him to be "mean" and focus my tax dollars only on the many people and issues already existent at home.

There is enough work to be done in the country's own backyard to be kept busy for a long time. Only after that should we attempt to play Captain Save-a-Hellhole.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:32 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
I don't believe that you care at all. You just want to point fingers and make accusations.
No, I want a president that represents America well, with compassion, intelligence, honesty, a moral compass and a faithful execution of long-standing American principles. Trump is and has none of these things, and I'm not going to undermine my own integrity by setting aside all his evil and awfulness just so he can get some half-***** win for reasons that have decidedly nothing to do with compassion. So you want to sit there can be all critical of others for not being nice enough to Trump of all people,

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-13-2018 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: rude/personal

Old 04-13-2018, 01:34 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'd prefer for him to be "mean" and focus my tax dollars only on the many people and issues already existent at home.

There is enough work to be done in the country's own backyard to be kept busy for a long time. Only after that should we attempt to play Captain Save-a-Hellhole.
It's America. It can do both.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No, I want a president that represents America well, with compassion, intelligence, honesty, a moral compass and a faithful execution of long-standing American principles. Trump is and has none of these things, and I'm not going to undermine my own integrity by setting aside all his evil and awfulness just so he can get some half-***** win for reasons that have decidedly nothing to do with compassion. So you want to sit there can be all critical of others for not being nice enough to Trump of all people, but you have no understanding of what real morality is.

If Trump did nothing then you would be shouting from the rooftops about Venezuela.

It's not about "not being nice enough to Trump".

It is about the fact that conservatives are impugned every day for being callous and not caring about the poor and not wanting to extend any kind of charity. And yet the first pages of this thread were liberals *laughing* at what is happening in Venezuela.

And you call ME a hypocrite and lacking insight.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 04-13-2018, 01:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There’s absolutely NOTHING happening in Venezuela that isn’t happening in a half dozen other nations in this hemisphere.

I’m fine with taking in refugees, but this seems targeted for no apparent reason. What’s so special about Venezuela?
Agree. Syrian children being gassed and poisoned--that's a no.

Hondurans and Ecuadoran children who are being murdered on the streets of their countries--that's a no.

Iraqis with advanced degrees, jobs and intelligent contributions to make who are already here--get rid of them.

Mexicans with families, businesses, who pay taxes and provide employment who are already here--get rid of them.

This total BS about the 'compassionate' oaf in the oval office is absurd. It's all political with Trump. It's all about what da base wants. It's all about what gets him the most applause at his rallies. As usual it is all about what is good for Trump--it always is.

S***hole countries? No way he'll take anyone from there. They just aren't Norwegian enough.

All of a sudden, a guy with no empathy who has no idea what compassion is, nevermind having it is total and absolute crap. And his tribal defenders are not presenting any logical explanation at all -- it's just the Dear Leader finding god.

Last edited by Enigma777; 04-13-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 01:47 PM

309 posts, read 246,440 times
Quote:
I don't need your lecturing.

If Trump did nothing then you would be shouting from the rooftops about Venezuela.

It's not about "not being nice enough to Trump".

It is about the fact that conservatives are impugned every day for being callous and not caring about the poor and not wanting to extend any kind of charity. And yet the first pages of this thread were liberals *laughing* at what is happening in Venezuela.

And you call ME a hypocrite and lacking insight.

You have me lumped in a category because I am a "Trump supporter" and therefore I have no soul. I don't need you to tell me about the condition of my soul.
You assumed "liberals" were laughing at what's going on in Venezuela. May be they were laughing at Mr. President's hidden reason behind allowing those refugees.
Please note that i am calling it "hidden reason" because no-one knows for sure why he is allowing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies