Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 01:21 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, Econ 101. Increase the supply of a good you lower prices. Illegals lower wages.
Yes, can't believe how many posters over the years that have argued otherwise or try to play the "other jobs" card.

Because even if the illegals ONLY worked at the poultry plant, it still puts pressure on the other jobs by those that would have worked at the poultry plant. But it's hard to explain close-substitutes in the labor pool to those full of dogma.

I've said it before, it's the greatest corporate con-job of all-time. Exploiting cheap labor, paying laborers less and anyone complaining? Oh, they're just old white deplorables...racists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 01:26 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, can't believe how many posters over the years that have argued otherwise or try to play the "other jobs" card.

Because even if the illegals ONLY worked at the poultry plant, it still puts pressure on the other jobs by those that would have worked at the poultry plant. But it's hard to explain close-substitutes in the labor pool to those full of dogma.

I've said it before, it's the greatest corporate con-job of all-time. Exploiting cheap labor, paying laborers less and anyone complaining? Oh, they're just old white deplorables...racists...
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The liberals, pushing for illegal immigration are the real racists. They are the ones, who in their drive for cheaper labor to mow their lawns, watch their brats and put their roofs on, are pushing for exploitation of brown people, yet somehow those of us opposed to illegal immigration get labeled racist?! Once again, those on the left are masters of projection.
HA HA HA!

And all the Republicans in Big Ag country? What are THEY doing to stop illegal immigration? Their farms depend on it and they KNOW it.

That you like to pretend it's only the democrats is truly projection.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:56 PM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
With a rewards card from my local grocery/pharmacy, I actually paid $1.67 gallon for 20 gallons.
Kroger gives a very decent discount here.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:01 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Gas is about 2.69 per gallon. I continue to not notice.
Saudi Arabia and Russia are cutting production, it will impact our prices.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/06/...tion-cuts.html

Old 12-14-2019, 04:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
HA HA HA!

And all the Republicans in Big Ag country? What are THEY doing to stop illegal immigration? Their farms depend on it and they KNOW it.

Exactly!

Old 12-14-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about.
Wow, great argument you have there. You don't even point out which of my statements you disagreed with.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
HA HA HA!

First off you are 100% accurate, the problem is bi-partisan. Both parties have turned a blind eye to it.

We are currently at about the same levels as when Bush 2 had a Repub house and senate...and they did what about it????

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...on-in-the-u-s/

Secondly, assuming you are talking about the midwest with big ag country? I'm pretty familiar with midwest agriculture and the only ag jobs you find large numbers of illegals are the corporate meat processing plants which are full of illegal workers. *shrug* There are a few others here and there but so much of the crops in the midwest are machinery intensive and not labor intensive.

For things like picking fruit etc. then it's more common but that's much more of a western\southern US thing.

Lastly, only a tiny % work in farming.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...grant-workers/

Old 12-14-2019, 07:11 PM

9,515 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Even I didn’t pay it any attention, until my Shell card bill came in the mail. Holy cow!! My monthly bill was 20% higher than last month and we drove about the same mileage as usual.

WTH? I thought all of this new “drill everywhere you can including in my driveway” type of hands off business friendly deregulation was gonna lower gas prices or at least keep it the same!

Didn’t think I’d see $3 buck gas this year. And don’t tell me about supply and demand because demand is no crazier now than it was last year. Save it.

So someone tell me what’s going on?

My investments and income are rising faster than gasoline prices, hence I don't care. Do you expect prices to remain flat while incomes go up, unemployment goes down, and the stock market is at all time highs?

Old 12-14-2019, 07:27 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, Econ 101. Increase the supply of a good you lower prices. Illegals lower wages.
Well we should kill off all the visa programs and let the wages rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies