Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I wish gas would rise to $4/$5 a gallon. Less cars on the road.
You know what would be great? If more companies would allow their employees to work from home. A lot of jobs do not actually require the person to be IN the office the entire day except for companies who like to heavily monitor your every move. Until that happens, you're going to see a lot of cars on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You know what would be great? If more companies would allow their employees to work from home. A lot of jobs do not actually require the person to be IN the office the entire day except for companies who like to heavily monitor your every move. Until that happens, you're going to see a lot of cars on the road.
My boss actually gave us the ok for this again with rising gas prices. I get to work with the birds singin on the patio

Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Here in TX? Where in TX? I'm in TX and unleaded is at $2.55 ... it hasn't been 2.15 since 04/01.

South Central, from Gonzales-San Antone-Austin.

I have seen higher at a random station here and there in my travels.

I usually hit the Valero. If I got gas at HEB, it would be cheaper.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Here in TX? Where in TX? I'm in TX and unleaded is at $2.55 ... it hasn't been 2.15 since 04/01.
He’s lying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
South Central, from Gonzales-San Antone-Austin.

I have seen higher at a random station here and there in my travels.

I usually hit the Valero. If I got gas at HEB, it would be cheaper.
Nonsense...Gonzales is $2.49 at Valero.

San Antonio is $2.39 at Valero.

Austin is $2.47 at HEB and Valero.

Dude...seriously? SMH

You live in a fantasy world or something.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not everyone works behind a desk on a computer. I drive a semi-tractor, I can't do that from home

Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not everyone works behind a desk on a computer. I drive a semi-tractor, I can't do that from home
The idea that companies will respond to employees having to pay more for gas by letting them work from home is just nonsense.

First off, how many companies give a damn what employees pay for gas, or anything else for that matter?

Second, how many companies believe employees are as productive when they are home wandering about in their PJs?

Third, how many employees are like yourself where your actual presence is required to get the job done?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My boss actually gave us the ok for this again with rising gas prices. I get to work with the birds singin on the patio
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He’s lying.

Nonsense...Gonzales is $2.49 at Valero.

San Antonio is $2.39 at Valero.

Austin is $2.47 at HEB and Valero.

Dude...seriously? SMH

You live in a fantasy world or something.
I respond to all these by pointing out that gas prices are not actually high. See analysis (link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The idea that companies will respond to employees having to pay more for gas by letting them work from home is just nonsense.

First off, how many companies give a damn what employees pay for gas, or anything else for that matter?

Second, how many companies believe employees are as productive when they are home wandering about in their PJs?

Third, how many employees are like yourself where your actual presence is required to get the job done?
Employers care because these kind of costs, when actually high, get cranked into what workers need to accept a job. I turn down court appearances at certain distances based upon gas costs and tolls.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Did I say "every" employer? What part of "A lot of employers" means "every employer"?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
)

Employers care because these kind of costs, when actually high, get cranked into what workers need to accept a job. ...

Be serious.

In 2008, gas was in the $3 - $4 range and wasn't anybody turning down a job because of the price of gas.

Employers were definitely not upping the pay they offered due to gas prices. Wages were fairly stagnant as I recall.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
) ...
I turn down court appearances at certain distances based upon gas costs and tolls.
Well, good for you for turning down jobs you aren't making any money at.

What does that have to do with employers letting people work from home because gas has gone up a quarter?

Anyway, why don't you just work from home and Skype in your court appearances?

Just kidding.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies