Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I have a bad knee, bad shoulder, back problems from heavy work for 30 plus years in addition to the farm work I grew up doing.

But nothing compares to the injury to my soul and my faith in mankind when I see these management people backstab each other and climb that ladder. I’m still labor and union even though I have an office job but man, just witnessing how these people operate...I would rather work the night shift in a snowstorm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Are you calling yourself an arrogant sob with a complex?

I was going with inferiority complex but whatev.
Not sure what the complex is?Maybe a touch of Narcissism but that ok.. I have been accused (justifiable) of being both arrogant and an SOB. I routinely bump heads with young P.E.s and I typically either win the argument outright or end up being right in the long run. As I do not benefit from an advanced degree.Senior management has accepted the fact that the arrogance of experience trumps the arrogance of education. Sooner or later the young guys will have learned enough to do my particular , by that I'll be retired and consulting....

P.S. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...sm-be-good-you

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...nge-your-life/

Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"all those cuts to school budgets"

Some info please.

It doesn't exist. Schools take up most of the money in most states and all you ever hear is about budget cuts. by now you'd think the schools receive 0 government dollars.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
college majors and college graduates are not all equivalent.

some degrees are expensive and worthless if boosting income is the goal of obtaining a higher education.

the lowest quartile of college grads earn no more than the average income of the high school educated.

the median college grad earns less than top 10% of high school grads.

These College Majors Barely Earn More Than High School Grads | Time

those who majored in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and math) had the best wage advantage over their high school educated competitors. Engineering majors earned on average $57,000 per year, almost twice that of the average high school graduate in the same field.

But some majors aren’t so lucrative. The study found that college was the least economical for graduates who majored in arts, psychology or social work. They earn only $31,000 per year on average—only $1,000 more than the average high school educated worker.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/..._salaries.html

Recently, researchers from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York noted that the bottom 25 percent of college degree holders basically earn no more than the median worker who ended his or her education after high school.

.....Philip Oreopoulos and Uros Petronijevic point out that among Americans between the ages 30 and 50, the median college graduate earns less annually than the top 10 percent of high school grads.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-22-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
In my department everyone makes $12 to $13 an hour in a low COL metro area. Myself and another person have a bachelor's degree, several people attended but didn't graduate 4 year school, one person has two different 2 year degrees. All of us are working a job that only requires a HS diploma.

All of these elites pushing college on everyone should first take an Economics 101 class. Supply and Demand. The more people that have college degrees the less valuable the degree becomes because it in no way alters the type of jobs every economy has. If everyone had a bachelor's degree there would be the same number of people working a janitors, dump truck drivers, doctors, teachers, etc.

The effects of over education on the economy are staggering. Millions of people have less disposable income due to repayments on loans they should have never taken out. The govt receives less funds because so many people get thousands of dollars (up to $2500) on loan interest deductions. Many millions are spent on primary education trying to force kids who will never be good at school to do well enough to get admitted to some college when they would have been much better off the be taught a trade.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Ivanka is working on the committee with a Trump official (Sec of Labor? Forgot his name but he is on a White House video explaining the program to presstitutes in a briefing) which seeks to partner businesses with community college students, guaranteeing internships and apprenticeships.

Just started reading Peter Schweitzer's new book, "Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends." There is a chapter on Obama regulating industries like education, finance, energy and health, creating policies to destroy companies and drive down stock. His best friends like Marty Nesbitt and George Soros would swoop in and pick up these companies for pennies on the dollar. The competition would be mostly gone by then, so Obama would reverse policies to drive up their value. Schweitzer called this tactic "smash and grab." Thousands of people lost their jobs and worse. Nesbitt is now president of the Obama Foundation by the way.

One group was the trade college industry. I vaguely remembered this story from years ago. They were depicted as crooked, stealing students money but not guaranteeing jobs after graduation. No colleges or universities guarantee jobs! A few were fly by night so good riddance but the better ones suffered. A big problem was the GI Bill had only few years of benefits that veterans had to use quickly, often including living expenses and housing. So when a few of these trade schools went under, vets became homeless. These students didn't need the expensive student loans which were being peddled to college students so there was no benefit to the government from trade schools.

I quickly scanned the book last night so may not have all the details but it has fact, figures and footnotes and slams politicians and their families of both parties.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:02 PM

Next time you're in Boston, take a cab and ask the driver what his major in college was.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
At one time at least Great Britain was similar. Those going into engineering had to spend some time in the fields, working in the relevant trades.
Not just trades. I have British friends, many now retired, who never went to university but one became a highly paid ad exec in London, another came out of the army and did PR for Ford and another was an exec for the railroad. They would never get those jobs today without a uni degree. Young people today have more degrees but are dumber than ever when it comes to basic education and common sense.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,686 times
If more tradespeople is the goal, why not re-institute the things that once made them desirable, like unions and strong protections for workers?

It's always amusing to me that people lament the lack of tradespeople in one breath, and then go on to support the destruction of policies that make people want to join the trades in the first place.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
It doesn't exist. Schools take up most of the money in most states and all you ever hear is about budget cuts. by now you'd think the schools receive 0 government dollars.
You'd think so if it wasn't for that creative government accounting.
Last years budget = n
Budget n+$1000 wanted
Budget n+$500 received = $500 "budget cut" even though they're still spending more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies