Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 09:36 AM

24,003 posts, read 15,100,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"all those cuts to school budgets"

Some info please.
My state used to pay a lot more, per student, than they currently do. When you look at the budget, it is more for education, but less per pupil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times
I've worked in construction and manufacturing for the majority of my work life. My daughter graduated from college and is a teacher and my son is in college studying engineering. I would work two jobs full time if I had to to make sure my kids do not end up in dull, dangerous and dirty work. I want them to have professional jobs. No offense to others that choose work in the trades, but I want better for my children. I don't want them to have to work like I have.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:48 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It has been my experience that people do not want their kids doing any kind of labor. It is snobbish, IMO.
I don't think it is snobbish for my husband not to want our children following in his footsteps, because he experiences first hand how hard it is physically. We all want the best for our children.

While I would never tell our children they couldn't do a job, warning them of the physical risks and toll in many blue collar jobs isn't being snobbish, it is being realistic.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Actually I think it's more of an arrogant sob complex but whatever
Are you calling yourself an arrogant sob with a complex?

I was going with inferiority complex but whatev.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:06 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"all those cuts to school budgets"

Some info please.
google for more info.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-...school-funding

Public investment in K-12 schools — crucial for communities to thrive and the U.S. economy to offer broad opportunity — has declined dramatically in a number of states over the last decade.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-...ntinue-cutting

Most States Have Cut School Funding, and Some Continue Cutting

Most states provide less support per student for elementary and secondary schools — in some cases, much less — than before the Great Recession

Old 04-22-2018, 10:25 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not exactly news-anyone involved in any type of manufacturing or construction knows this. What is new is that even our media is recognizing the 5 decade long failure of our educational industry to recognize and promote skilled trades. Demand is such that a machinist, electrician or carpenter will make more than many with bachelor's degrees.
Norway is a country that knows the importance of striking a balance between their working adults being in the trades and white collar work. Germany is another country where the trades are respected and companies recruit high school students into their apprenticeship programs.

IMO high school students and even middle school could be much better served by their teachers if they were informed about ALL their career options. Not every adult is destined a guaranteed satisfying career through a college degree. And not every trade job is dirty (with constant contact with toilets) and dangerous. Teens should know all their future work options. And this would also be a good time to point out to them that hourly jobs in fast foods is not a career path and that the pay is not a livable wage. However, if they do enjoy cooking or interacting with the public, those job could be a stepping stone to a career in the culinary arts or sales.

And young people shouldn't be prejudiced against knowing how to fix a toilet or how to build a deck. My husband fixes everything that breaks in our house from 1918, and he fixes our cars too... and that saves us a ton of money!!! And one of my friends, a partner in a law firm, knows how to change a light switch in her house.

Every high school should have a mandatory class in life skills. Personal finances, home repair, small business accounting, cooking healthy, how to use and apply for credit, how to have good credit scores, auto repair and maintenance, how to deal with the police and the court system, how to write a resume and dress for a job interview... all that stuff, because their parents certainly are not teaching them all of that.

A happy and productive adult should know all sorts of life and work skills. In such a competitive world, a successful should be adaptable and able/willing to roll with all the random punches that life might throw at them.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Our educational industry is of the opinion that children should be taught how to think (preferably for themselves), and that skills should be taught by employers.
Nothing could be further from the truth. 50 years ago, education gurus of the time eschewed educational excellence and the training of the mind and embraced dumbing down our schools in a "social engineering" attempt to create more equal educational and therefore more equal socioeconomic outcomes, which they theorized would lead to a more cohesive society.

Naturally, NONE of those goals were achieved, and all we're left with is an incresingly dumbed down populace, with the millennials being the least capable generation, yet.

I've documented all of it in my posts, with substantiation:

Why and How U.S. K-12 Public Education Was Dumbed-Down

The correct link for the article quoted in that post is:
The Other Crisis in American Education - The Atlantic

OECD PIAAC Data, Compares Adults' Workplace Skills Among 23 Developed Countries: General Literacy, General Numeracy, and Problem-Solving Skills in a Technology-Dependent Environment

Last edited by InformedConsent; 04-22-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 10:49 AM

24,003 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I don't think it is snobbish for my husband not to want our children following in his footsteps, because he experiences first hand how hard it is physically. We all want the best for our children.

While I would never tell our children they couldn't do a job, warning them of the physical risks and toll in many blue collar jobs isn't being snobbish, it is being realistic.
DH's family were contractors. They all were degreed engineers. They built freeways, run ways, etc. DH decided early on that he didn't want to work in the hot Texas sun for the rest of his life. Especially if they were paving with asphalt.

I'm speaking of all my neighbors in just outside of some major city, suburbs. Our family always felt we should employ the kids in the neighborhood. It has been my experience in the last 25 years that 95% of those kids wouldn't bend over to pick up a 20 dollar bill.

Those who will, work hard for above minimum wage. One kid in the last 25 years would mow the lawn. He was paid $25.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:20 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,290 times
When I was in Jr. High 50 years ago there was a thing known as "shop class". Both metal and woodworking classes were offered. It was by far my favorite class. We built things. We created things. We learned skills.

When I discovered several years ago that such classes didn't even exist anymore I was shocked. It immediately struck me: No wonder we continue to become more and more dumbed-down.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
True but if you injure yourself your pretty much up a creek plus the whole no work life balance. Trades are great for some people but they are not all sunshine and roses and the money comes at a cost your health.
I worked outside from 1981 until 2011. Worked an average of 60 hours a week plus did side jobs. Since I’ve been in an office job. Both have their upsides but I would rather work outside and do physical work, but you can’t do it forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies