Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 03:51 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times

Advertisements

Why is it that blue collars are so damned sensitive and resentful of college grads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 03:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Why is it that blue collars are so damned sensitive and resentful of college grads?
It has been that way as far back as I can remember.

There has forever been this "college educated cannot even change their own oil" mockery, as if not going to college magically makes some able to "change oil". (change oil being symbolic for the DYI type dirty work).

Old 04-21-2018, 03:58 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not exactly news-anyone involved in any type of manufacturing or construction knows this. What is new is that even our media is recognizing the 5 decade long failure of our educational industry to recognize and promote skilled trades. Demand is such that a machinist, electrician or carpenter will make more than many with bachelor's degrees.
I absolutely agree. My dad always told me, "learn a trade and you'll never go hungry." He was right. I don't have a bachelor's degree, but I have never been without a job, even when my electrical engineering husband was unemployed. I never got rich, but I always paid my bills and had enough. It is really hard to find good, knowledgeable tradespeople.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:01 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
We pump it up to keep people in the Electric industry... None of you would enjoy the life you have without guys like me producing and delivering electricity...I think it's something important to be proud of what one does.....I'm sure most of you are proud of what you do as well but I see lots of people crying about their jobs regardless of what it is...

Old 04-21-2018, 04:03 PM

426 posts, read 353,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Pretty harsh and in some cases trades can make quite a bit more money than fresh college grads. Now the downside is you have to work alot way more than 40 hours a week and if your body fails you your done in that line of work.
Fresh college grads are not the same as MBA's. Is that not common knowledge around here?

Old 04-21-2018, 04:04 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A lot of people don't get into the trades because they have little mechanical aptitude. So if you get an MBA or a degree in Accounting, English, Teaching, Chemistry, etc., etc., quite possibly you didn't enter the trades because you don't know the business end of a screwdriver.

I talk to college students who are studying to be diesel mechanics a few times each year, and these are mainly farm kids, kids who grew up working on tractors and rebuilding their car engines as high school students. They have mechanical aptitude. Another thing they have is almost guaranteed job placement after graduation, as this career field is in high demand. You can make a fortune as a welder, but it's dirty, hard on your back, you breathe a lot of smoke in and it takes a toll on your body. And a lot of people don't want to do these jobs.

But if you are educated in the latest mechanics or don't mind welding, you can make more money than a lot of people in the business world. I think your ceiling might be lower but your job security is much higher.
Strangely enough, sometimes you and I agree on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It has been that way as far back as I can remember.

There has forever been this "college educated cannot even change their own oil" mockery, as if not going to college magically makes some able to "change oil". (change oil being symbolic for the DYI type dirty work).

When I started working at the bottle cap plant while in college (this is 40+ years ago), there were several of us, that was a constant thing if we made a mistake. "College boy don't know how to work" stated by all the Greatest Generation guys for whom 8th Grade was senior year.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Yeah us poor MBA graduates going on to work at Fortune 500 companies with fresh hires making six figure salaries with massive bonuses. I make more $ than any employed trade worker.
But then you're stuck working 70/80 hours per week with not much of a work/life balance

Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Strangely enough, sometimes you and I agree on something.

When I started working at the bottle cap plant while in college (this is 40+ years ago), there were several of us, that was a constant thing if we made a mistake. "College boy don't know how to work" stated by all the Greatest Generation guys for whom 8th Grade was senior year.
And for many of them that did make it to high school, the tenth grade was the best four years of their life.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
See what I mean? All that (if I even believed you) and you have to pay someone to fix your craper or you wash machine. Your MBA and 6 figures wouldn't qualify to do my job.....
It's called opportunity cost. I don't have to qualify to do your job because I can make more money at my job (which I enjoy) than I would doing your job and therefore I pay someone like you to go fix my crapper. Econ 101.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Because they end up working for the guy with the MBA and the desk job. Makes them resentful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
But then you're stuck working 70/80 hours per week with not much of a work/life balance
Yeah, because no people in the trades EVER work overtime.

And just as an FYI, I work 50 hours a week or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies