Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If you are physically fit and can pass a background check and drug test my company would make you an apprentice and within 3 years you’ll be making 6 figures. But you work OT and shift work and you work in the elements. Americans need to step up because the legal Mexicans we hire are making us look really bad.
But then there's no work life balance. I hear you have to have that or you should just turn the job down.

Trades have changed along with everything else. The number (percent) of college graduates hasn't really changed much, although it has risen a bit over the last couple decades. What has changed are those jobs that required not much more than physicality. Now you have to have a bit of brains as well as brawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 12:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Trades associated with construction and housing are subject to boom and bust cycles associated with real estate supply and demand. This is not for the faint of heart. Feast or famine is not an easy way to live.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trades associated with construction and housing are subject to boom and bust cycles associated with real estate supply and demand. This is not for the faint of heart. Feast or famine is not an easy way to live.
Yes we have a brother in law who is an electrician in Toronto and boom/bust is real. When the economy is good -- lots of work, overtime and you take it -- when there is a bust...you sit at home waiting for things to pick up.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 PM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Agreed. College is not for everyone. Working in the trades is useful and pays well and should be respected.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:47 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Demand is such that a machinist, electrician or carpenter will make more than many with bachelor's degrees.
True but if you injure yourself your pretty much up a creek plus the whole no work life balance. Trades are great for some people but they are not all sunshine and roses and the money comes at a cost your health.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:55 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/the-5-...es-in-america/

1. A majority of college students don’t finish on time — and a large minority never finish at all.

2. Most of the curriculum is neither socially useful nor personally enjoyable.

3. The “hidden benefits” of college are mostly wishful thinking.

4. The more education our society has, the more every worker needs to get a job. (i.e., credential inflation)

5. Thanks to heavy government subsidies and “locked-in syndrome,” our dysfunctional system is built to last.

The last is the biggest problem and makes it unreformable. The professoriat would never stand for shifting more to trade education. It would mean too many of them would be jobless. And unemployable.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:05 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
The one trade that I've seen that always has work even in a slow cycle is welding.

For the most part trades are like athletes. You have a set amount of time, which may vary by trade, for peak performance and then decline. That's why you don't see to many 65 y/o roofers.
Best be working on moving up into management or something less physically demanding. A guy who can run a crew is often more valuable than a crew run without direction.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:16 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
I have a master's degree and I'm as useless as they come.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:57 PM

426 posts, read 352,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
It won't help... There will always be a segment of society that looks down their nose at the guy they call to fix their toilets. At the same time lamenting their MBA in basket weaving won't help them get a job ....
Yeah us poor MBA graduates going on to work at Fortune 500 companies with fresh hires making six figure salaries with massive bonuses. I make more $ than any employed trade worker.

And lets not even go into the army of MD, CPAs, PEs, JDs, etc that all earn more than tradesmen. However, if you are sub 120 IQ I wouldn't recommend going for a professional track, it's not going to work. If you have 90 IQ and low aptitude being a tradesman and unclogging toilets all day is definitely the way to go.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Yeah us poor MBA graduates going on to work at Fortune 500 companies with fresh hires making six figure salaries with massive bonuses. I make more $ than any employed trade worker.

And lets not even go into the army of MD, CPAs, PEs, JDs, etc that all earn more than tradesmen. However, if you are sub 120 IQ I wouldn't recommend going for a professional track, it's not going to work. If you have 90 IQ and low aptitude being a tradesman and unclogging toilets all day is definitely the way to go.
Pretty harsh and in some cases trades can make quite a bit more money than fresh college grads. Now the downside is you have to work alot way more than 40 hours a week and if your body fails you your done in that line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies