Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No you're not. Quit making things up.
I feel like some on here have a major inferiority complex .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 04:55 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,106,175 times
I think it is true that the trades and working with one's hands are every bit as valuable and worthy of respect as those who have college degrees and work behind a desk, in a hospital, school, etc. One of the problems I see is that people who work hard physically every day "wear out" at some point. Overuse of the knees, hips, etc., heavy lifting, and the hazards of those jobs can take their toll. But somehow, we think we should keep making the age for social security older and older. How are they going to make it? My brother in law is a finish carpenter, and has worked every day all his life. He is concerned that his body will give out long before his need for a salary does. And some times, people in the trades work for themselves. They don't work for big companies and don't have the benefits we might otherwise expect. So the people who rely most on their physical fitness to carry them through are sometimes in a bad place as far as medical care, disability insurance, and retirement. I'm not sure what to do about this, but I know we shouldn't be cutting Social Security and Medicare.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Yes true here -true in China true in France
Everyone wants to be a well paid government worker
Supervising other people’s work
Not actually doing any themselves

Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
It's called opportunity cost. I don't have to qualify to do your job because I can make more money at my job (which I enjoy) than I would doing your job and therefore I pay someone like you to go fix my crapper. Econ 101.
Quote:
Because they end up working for the guy with the MBA and the desk job. Makes them resentful.

Yeah, because no people in the trades EVER work overtime.

And just as an FYI, I work 50 hours a week or less.
Quote:
Actually I do know how to plunge a toilet and swing a hammer, it's not rocket science. But nice try.
Quote:
And as I said, I don't have to do yours and I don't want to do yours. I make more money doing what I like to do and I can pay you people to do stuff like clean my house, mow my lawn, wash my car, etc.
You are awesome!

You are the perfect example why the blue collar are at odds with the white collar. You completely turn your nose up at the laborer.

I wish I had trades skills. It would save me a ton with my DIY projects.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:14 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
There is opportunity for both blue and white collar folks. I also have a Masters degree, and I call a plumber not over "opportunity cost", but due to the fact for a difficult plumbing issue, I lack the knowledge required to do that task correctly.

That makes the plumber neither smarter, nor less smart, just trained in a different skill set than I, or any other MBA.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:15 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Tucker Carlson has been doing a lot of segments and interviews with Mike Rowe who teaches and promotes trade skills big time. His foundation gives scholarships to get people trained for good trade jobs that make way more $$ than most college degrees, and are jobs that are in high demand.
About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected

Not until elitist democrats/liberals stop labeling blue color/trade workers as deplorables from flyover country and as despicable Trumpkins will we see them get the respect they deserve.
Blue collor workers used to support the D party until it turned into the bigoted self-righteous elitists more concerned with the working welfare of illegals than of Americans.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Trades are like most other jobs. The pay reflects the talent/knowledge/work ethic of the worker. I worked with a few whiners in the trades who refused to invest in tools, refused to make the effort to improve their skillsets, but spent a great deal of time whining how mistreated they were by their employer. They were mad because they made average incomes with below average capabilities and effort. Typical of any profession, some make it and some don't. And some straggle along for the ride, waiting for something to change, but refusing to make positive changes in their own performance and ability.

My advice to anyone is invest time figuring out what you enjoy, and what you're good at, then pursue it.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:21 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Tucker Carlson has been doing a lot of segments and interviews with Mike Rowe who teaches and promotes trade skills big time. His foundation gives scholarships to get people trained for good trade jobs that make way more $$ than most college degrees, and are jobs that are in high demand.
About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected

Not until elitist democrats/liberals stop labeling blue color/trade workers as deplorables from flyover country and as despicable Trumpkins will we see them get the respect they deserve.
Blue collor workers used to support the D party until it turned into the bigoted self-righteous elitists more concerned with the working welfare of illegals than of Americans.
Trump has stiffed his share of blue collar workers from some of his biggest projects. Sad, but true.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:22 PM

1,073 posts, read 623,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_recess View Post
i have a master's degree and i'm as useless as they come.
lol

Old 04-21-2018, 05:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not exactly news-anyone involved in any type of manufacturing or construction knows this. What is new is that even our media is recognizing the 5 decade long failure of our educational industry to recognize and promote skilled trades. Demand is such that a machinist, electrician or carpenter will make more than many with bachelor's degrees.

Craftsmanship in the construction trades has been pushed so far, the labor is a commodity, not a skill.
Thanks to the exploited illegal labor from all parts south of the border.

The going rates 3 years ago when I last bid any construction work, was less than I was bidding jobs in the late 1970's and I was still getting out bid on price.

There is no way I was going to work 16-18 hours a day, to make what I use to doing the same thing, I did in 8-10 hours 7 days a week and still barely making it in a very high taxed and cost of living City.

I have tried to get technical and shop classes back into High School here, but that is not in the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies