Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 12:17 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The statistics have taken into account public funding (including real estate taxes and state income taxes) and they came to the conclusion that that US is behind other countries in public funding. The additional 25% that US parents pitch in is not coming from real estate taxes or state income taxes because those taxes are included in public funding.
Apparently, not. WHO PAYS for public funding, regardless of where it comes from?

And just as an FYI, federal taxes do in fact go to public education, approximately $75 billion/year. Plus local and state taxes.

Parents do not "pitch in" 25%, beyond local, state, and federal taxes. If they did, poor kids would never go to school. Their parents can't afford to pay for 25% of the cost. Neither do 25% of U.S. K-12 students go to private schools. It's only 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 12:30 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Your article in that link shows that in the US, parents pay more into education versus parents in other countries. The government in the US has cut education funding, forcing parents to pick up the slack.

In the US, public spending covers 70% of education spending whereas in other countries, public spending covers 84%.

Per the CBS News link:

Public spending accounts for just 70 cents of every education dollar in the United States. Parents picked up another 25 cents and private sources paid for the remainder in 2010.

A decade earlier, the public's share of education spending was 72 cents on every dollar.

The average OECD nation spent 84 cents of every education dollar, down from 88 cents a decade earlier.
Actually funding is up.

What is always missed in these discussions about education spending in the US is no one ever breaks that down into what actually hits the students directly and what is administrative. The latter has skyrocketed almost everywhere over the last fifteen years or so due to testing mandates. Schools in Maryland where I am have to have at least one school based testing coordinator just to keep track of all the inputs for testing (tracking scores on benchmark (practice) tests, remediating those students who aren't making satisfactory progress, coordinating project based alternatives, etc. That doesn't include the new testing bureaucracy in the central office.

One thing about that per student dollar figure is that Special Ed is also thrown into it. The number of SPED students in most schools has increased greatly. At the high school I retired from the SPED Department, just the certificated teachers and not counting the various one on one aides and other aides, was the largest in the school. Bigger than Math or English.

One SPED kid can hit you for $200K and up per year depending on placement.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Parents do not "pitch in" 25%, beyond local, state, and federal taxes. If they did, poor kids would never go to school. Their parents can't afford to pay for 25% of the cost. Neither do 25% of U.S. K-12 students go to private schools. It's only 10%.

Are you saying the NBC article which you posted is wrong? It says parents pitch in 25%. FYI - they didn't mean every single parent pitches in 25%. They averaged it for the country by total education spending. 70% comes from public funds, 25% from parents and 5% from private funds other than parents.

You are arguing against the validity of the article you posted. Maybe you shouldn't have posted the article if you disagree with the contents?

Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Devil is always in the details...

Lots of mechanics, electricians and plumbers knock down six figures, and they do so in parts of the country where six figures isn't just above the poverty line.

Also, mechanics and those in the building trades often earn cash for work done on the side.

I don't know of any Fortune 500 companies that help out with the take-home plateau we all run into when we gross more than $1300/wk.

Plus, if you have to live in CA or NY to work for a Fortune 500 company, living expenses will be such that you won't be any better off.

Have fun training your replacement from India.

https://www.mbacrystalball.com/blog/...-compensation/
That’s simply not true.

Few Americans overall make six figures. The skill tradesmen that make six figures yearly are few and far in between. People have to stop throwing that six figures stuff around when the American median household income is only a little more than 50k a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
they actually are not. folks wouldn't be crying about the cost of school and begging for low skill jobs to pay more if useless knowledge and no work ethic paid decently.
People don’t have to rack up ridiculous debt in order to get a degree in most cases. Heavy debt is avoidable if you’re smart.

That said, nearly all Americans will accrue debts. But accruing debt when you’re educated and accruing debt without an education are two hugely different things. Being uneducated very expensive. It’s a helluva lot more expensive than getting your degree.

Sorry, but college grads earn far more over a lifetime than non grads do. No degree is useless. It’s what you do with that degree that matters. People with degrees have a higher ceiling. That may not be apparent when you’re just barely out of college and trying to make a way for yourself, but eventually the degree pays off.

BTW..there is no such thing as useless knowledge relative to education. Where in the hell do you get that kind of anti intellectual tripe from? It sounds like something uttered at a GOP convention or the Limbaugh Show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great: Then we must maintain Student Loan Debt as Non-Dischargeable, and demand Payment In Full back under the original terms from every single borrower.
Shrug.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Are you saying the NBC article which you posted is wrong? It says parents pitch in 25%.
Can you explain how poor parents "pitch in?" Additionally, as I already noted, only 10% of U.S. K-12 students are in private schools, most of which actually spend LESS per student than public schools.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
When I was in Jr. High 50 years ago there was a thing known as "shop class". Both metal and woodworking classes were offered. It was by far my favorite class. We built things. We created things. We learned skills.

When I discovered several years ago that such classes didn't even exist anymore I was shocked. It immediately struck me: No wonder we continue to become more and more dumbed-down.
I think it must depend on the school. My husband graduated high school in North Carolina in 2006- he did shop class (his favorite). I would be surprised if they don't have it just 12 years later. I am sure some schools have ditched it but I doubt they all have.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:55 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
No, I never said it was everyone. People have different tolerances, different genetic weaknesses, different jobs. Lots of variables. And I don't really know about farming. I know that the building trades are very rough on the body.
I know you did not say everyone. Just clarifying that there are inherent physical dangers in all types of work.

Just one article about the physical draw backs to office/corporate work:

22 ways your office job is destroying your body | Financial Post

As far as the demanding physical aspect to the building trades,usually just by "working smart" which is another term for pacing yourself and lifting/positioning correctly........its not really that debilitating.

That being said,not everyone is cut out for hard physical work,as with anything it is a personal choice. I worked on the railroad for 37 years,about as hard and demanding kind of physical labor as there is. It is also very dangerous. I chose it because of the challenge of fighting the elements and pushing my self to physical limits which would not be possible for a lot of people. This being one of the reasons it has a very good retirement and competitive wage. It helps being short and stocky with a barrel chest and tree stumps for legs...........

Old 04-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
agreed, I have a dislike for unions. Unions need to go away, they are not needed in this day and age with with easy mass communication we have now as they are a major factor in higher costs for common things.
In my occupation union representation actually fought for safety rules which in my opinion literally saved lives. I am curious as to where your "dislike" came from?

Old 04-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
What if? Statistically manual labor type jobs are far more dangerous over time. I think you guys are doing a disservice to people by glossing over that fact. I don't have a problem with the trades but they aren't some perfect job every guy should do either...
Have you seen this?

22 ways your office job is destroying your body | Financial Post

Old 04-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Much of the problem in the U.S. is that teachers are overpaid, class sizes are too small, but we're still getting subpar results.

Quote:
The U.S. ranks 19th out of 30 countries in the outcomes it gets from its investments in education, according to “The Efficiency Index: Which education systems deliver the best value for the money?,” a report released Thursday by GEMS Education Solutions, a London-based education consultancy.
https://marketbrief.edweek.org/marke...nt_study_says/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies