Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:29 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,706,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself for not opening your doors to all refugees of the world

Oh, I am! Can't you tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,795,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I hope this doesn’t sound like a personal attack. But I never understood people who left western countries to live in a no western one or marry nonwhite people talk about how the white race must survive or how western civilization is dying, or how western civilization is the best, but I don’t live in the west...

You remind me of a YouTuber Black Pigeon Speaks who likes to rant about the west and the death of the west and immigration but is an immigrant to Japan who runs a political YouTube channel. Like you loved the west so much that you left it? Or you didn’t want it to die so you ran away to another country and left your family and friends to perish? Or the best one is I’m a white nationalist who married a Latina (not a white one but a clearly mixed one) or East Asian and has children.
I think Westerners who live a long time outside the West, particularly in East Asia where no apologies are made for having a history and a culture, possess the opportunity to gain a more discerning perspective on Western Civilization and its place in the world. Lacking my experience, my perspective may not be immediately accessible to you, but I'm happy to share it here with you. Keep reading, and thinking, and I'm confident you will understand one day.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 AM

1,704 posts, read 753,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
By definition we all have more of an opinion/right/say in what goes on within the borders of the countries of our ancestors. Unless of course you're a person who believes there shouldn't be any borders (like your friend George Soros).
So once again, you didn't really answer the question...

How does you skin color entitle you one way or another?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 AM

73,129 posts, read 62,974,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
So let them look down on you for being black. To hell with what they think. Ignore it. One up them. They're petty and ignorant. Their loss. You can't control others, nor can I. But we sure can mock the ever living hell out of them. I equate those that look down on you for being black like this. Chances are, family reunions are a speed dating service amongst cousins. So mock them. If you really want to get under their skin, one up them. Better yet. Ignore them while doing so. Those that are petty, tend to be materialistic as all get out, they can't stand when someone bests them at something.
This is more than just about being looked down on. Being looked down on is the start. Right now things like Jim Crow are illegal thanks to the feds making the state governments behave. There are still individuals, whom, if they had their way, Jim Crow would come back. The Authoritarian Right is among them. When you belong to a group that is very looked down on, there are things you have to worry about. It is more than just people being petty. A simple history lesson will tell you what happens. It's more than just being prejudice. It is the prejudice combined with political. What we don't want are those kinds of persons being in positions of power to make crazy decisions.

Quote:
Wrong. You do have control over yourself and your perspective. Seems your issue is with not being able to have control over others.
Yes, I have control of my thoughts and my perspectives. However, what good does it do me if someone wants to be in a position to make decisions that could discriminate against me, that will make my life harder?

I have never once said "I can't". I am saying that things will get harder.

Quote:
It has nothing to do about being a part of a group unless that is how you choose to live feel and think. Break that train of thought and outlook. See yourself as an individual. Not part of a group. Life gets a while lot better especially after you write off petty and ignorant pricks. Even better when you can't be dragged down with a group
I consider myself an individual. However, I've learned something in my 31 (soon to be 32) years of life. I can be an individual. I can control my own way of being. That does not mean much to someone who decides to judge me based on the very worst of my ethnicity. We have some individuals right here on CD who have bigoted mindsets. I've dealt with such individuals in my life. I've never said "don't be an individual". I am saying that there are those who don't have that outlook. Again, it is about persons who are bigoted and look down on a certain group, and will base their voting choices on that.

Quote:
Now it makes sense...
Control.
Because you don't have control over a desirable outcome, that is why you align with the left. They will bring forth legislation and tax hikes to force an outcome. And if you disagree with it. You're a racist. You're a (insert phobic/cist/)
Now it makes sense. Authoritarian left. Meet (as I've often been accused) "alt-right"
Well, this is how I see it. There is a fight for control in this country. I understand there are individuals who wish to do me harm to uplift themselves. This is why I have to look out for myself. This is why I ask about what good the Authoritarian Right would do for me. I do desire some outcomes. What I desire is that we don't return to the old days. Whenever I hear some of these "nationalists" speaks, especially racial nationalists, I understand what they want. They want the racist bad old days back. I don't want that. I will align myself with whomever will keep that from happening.

Quote:
Is he proposing taking you by force and placing you on a plantation to repeat history?
If so better start loving that 2nd Amendment as much as every other civil liberty... I know where deals can be had and I wouldn't steer anyone into a bad investment that won't hold its equity...
He doesn't have to propose anything. All I have to do is look between the lines. He said something alluding to "Blacks being enslaved was good for them". He didn't say it outright. However, because you can't say certain things nowadays, some people are more likely to use coded language. Saying something a bit more palatable.

Quote:
How would you benefit from right wing? Let me list the ways.
1. Low taxes. Want to compare my former state of NY to other states? I promise you, the cheapest county for property and school taxes are probably double or triple the average taxes of a 150k dollar house in an average suburban area aside from CA. Where I live, houses that go for 150k have granite kitchens, bathrooms, screened in pools built within the last 20/30 years. Hell some in the last 5-10! And they're not suffering from foundation issues, roof issues, nor do they come with a tax bill of 3-5k per year. The place I'm leasing is like a small mansion. Lease expires in june. I may just buy this place. Can't touch a house like this in NY for less than 350k and 5-10k per year in taxes.

First hand expirience, less money going to float others = more money for you to spend as you please. Whether it's a splurge on yourself, more money for a better car/truck/suv, more money for a down payment on a house, or to pay off a mortgage quicker, roll into investments to not have to rely solely on social security.

Florida doesn't have a state income tax. Sales tax is lower than NYs too. I used to be miserable in NY. Another year? Another tax hike? Not a couple hundred. 1000 one year. 2k the next. No garbage collection. No street lights. Town police voted out, yet taxes went up and tax my income too?

Lower cost of living is better way of living friend

2. Race isn't a determining factor of success or failure. The individual, their character, their work ethic, their career path, their personal choices, their level of personal responsibility, is. I don't judge based on skin color. I judge based on character, actions/inept, ambition, and achievements. I'm not petty when it comes to physical traits. Except grossly obese. There is no reason on earth to be as wide as you are tall.
Diabetes is not attractive nor respiratory and circulatory issues, nor is a fupa.

3. You claim to be the bottom wrung, yet support and vote for a political party that literally panders to minorities and go as far to make sanctuary cities for others in exchange for votes. Primarily comprised of whites.

Where's your sanctuary city or state? Oh that's right... you were born on US soil. You aren't that special. You're special enough come election time though... only to take the back burner later. Feeling cheated? Left out?

That is what happens when you identify as a part of a group, rather than an individual. You admit it though by your own words in your previous responses.

I have to say, if I aided in electing someone whether a mayor a congressman, a president whatever, and they pandered to me to only forget about me or turn on me once elected into office, I drop them like a bad habit. I research their track record. If they're solid, they usually don't make it. Corrupt? Bet your ass whether they have a D or R next to their name, they can be elected to move money around for private/special interest groups. And get a kick back at that. Saw that with GWB and the previous administration. Hell NY is as corrupt as all get out. First hand expirience, a NY "conservative" is a southern democrat. And a NY democrat is a liberal SJW looking to find offense in something. Sad way to live actually...

Amsterdam NY had horrible roads. The city spent millions over budget to build a bridge to walk on, that joined the downtown area to the main square. Meanwhile the bridge you drive across coming off of I87 was so rough you'd swear you lost a control arm crossing it! Can't maintain a road way, but can go millions over budget on a walkway and require maintenance in the winter time lest the city gets sued by a slip and fall victim in the winter time google/youtube CBS6 YOU PAID FOR IT. That segment will make your blood pressure skyrocket. No money to be found to do so etching positive or pertinent but they'll find something new to **** money away on...

4. We don't believe in altering historical context to fit a narrative.
Prime example, taking down Confederate statues.
It's a part of this nations history. History isn't rainbows unicorns and puppy dogs.
Learn from it. Let those statues stand as a reminder of what if, and to show how far this nation has come. Or take the easy way out and conflate it with racism right off the bat. I say let them stand to serve as a reminder of how far this nation has come.

That's the problem with symbolism. One can take an image a flag a statue and alter/hijack it's presence and state it is (fill in the blank). Nazis did it with the swastika. Before 1930s it was a symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. They took it, hijacked it, to become a symbol of hatred.

I would venture to say, to you a Confederate flag is the same as a swastika.
To others it's a part of their history, their heritage. Perhaps they have ancestors that fought for the south. Whether they owned slaves or not. Would it make them automatically a racist for flying it/owning it/displaying it? If so, is it due from conflation with a group, or is it because you know that individual?

5. No one is more important special or privileged than the next. Those are crutches.
You are capable of more without being crippled into believing you yourself are being held back. Therfore we do not believe in special privileges and programs that started out to hold one over when they hit rock bottom to become a lifestyle or career, that comes at a cost to tax payers to only perpetuate problems, not solve them. Want prime examples? I can list those too. And it isn't exclusive to any race. Matter of fact, I knew a white guy who was on just about every assistance program you could think of, hell even car repairs up to 800 dollars per month via NY tax payers.

6. Authoritarian aspect. I'll give prime examples of how it's a good thing.
Take Florida where I live, and compare it to NY where I used to live for 28 of my 30 years of living.
In NY the police are neutered. Opiods are a scourge up there and western MA as well.
Opioids don't discriminate either. It's cheaper to buy heroin in NY than cigarettes. No joke.
Used to be, police respond to a 9/11 call for an overdose. Arrest anyone with paraphernalia or caught using.
Now? Oh we must end the stigma of drug overdose. Police are trained in reviving junkies and even transporting them to the emergency room. I strongly disagree. That isn't their job. That's for EMTs and medical professionals.

How did that perpetuate the issue?
Trap houses.
I could take you to Poughkeepsie Ballston Spa Albany Schenectady Troy and show you one. It isn't hard to spot one. Just look for the house or apartment complex with the zombie looking critters entering to come back out in a daze a few hours later.

In NY it's catch and release and friends of mine have said the state is proposing doing a heroin safespace to staff with nurses/nurse practitioners/doctors to prevent overdoses. A cost. To the taxpayers. Lest you discriminate against a substance abuse... then you're a drugophobic...
Could walk into any pharmacy and get clean needles, without a prescription too. No questions asked. Because aids and hepatitis...

Florida. If you aren't doing 70 on a 40mph rated road, you're getting rear ended. I've yet to see anyone yanked over for speeding in my town. Window tint? Run limo tint if you want! I've yet to see anyone cited for tint.

Florida. We have sheriff's making youtube videos telling dope dealers they are being hunted. That undercover officers have made purchases and they know exactly who they are and where they are. And they're bagging them. The town I live in now, I look at the police blotter, there is some cases of violent crime, and property crime like vandalism or burglary. The bulk of "crime" is substance related.
And yes I believe junkies and dealers both should be locked up to sober up.
I've witnessed first hand with a scumbag cousin of mine exactly what dope does to a family, friends, and significant others. Better the heroin got him on his first try rather than to continue to give his parents sleepless nights wondering whether he's safe. But they were limp wristed enabling liberals. Reap what you sow. Oh you're feigning for coke? You poor thing here's 200 bucks. Behind on rent or car payment or car insurance? Let me pay it off so your credit score doesn't tank...

In NY 8mph over the posted speed limit you're getting a ticket. Police in NY make the state Bank with traffic fines. You won't find a state trooper patrolling bad neighborhoods. But you will find them hiding along highways looking for anyone speeding or having a cellphone in their hand or having tinted windows. God forbid you have tinted windows without a doctor's note or not being a private investigator...
To me, despite knowing state troopers and having 2 as friends, I see them as nothing more than revenue generators for the state of NY and to enforce Cuomos edict-the Safeact. However I do give credit where it is due, and their cyber crimes division is top notch. They're great at busting hackers, scammers, etc.

7. Economics/global trade.
Me personally, I believe if we are to have businesses that employ Americans, pay tariffs to other countries, yet other countries can import their stuff at little to no tariff, or worse, set up shop and production on US soil... we're doomed. Look at Detroit. You aren't ignorant of history. You've professed as much.
Detroit "Motor City" fell a LONG time ago. Biggest mistake this nation ever made was allowing Honda Toyota Nissan Hyundai Kia to put production plants up. All started with the oil embargo and followed with the EPA then CAFE. The nail in the coffin was the form of chrony CEOs pocketing money rather than spending it in R&D to have a product worth buying, and competitive with what is on the market.
Now look at Detroit... never mind the country of origin where the engine interior transmission etc came from...
You don't have to be a gear head with VP race gas flowing through your veins, a Ford fanboi, a Chevy geek, or Mopar or no car fanatic to see what went wrong, where it went wrong, and why it is in the shape it's in today...

Harley Davidson is going to wind up in the same place. Like a majority of their market of consumers, it is on life support. Unless they start producing a product that captures a younger and diverse populace, they can't sell solely on "Buy American". Their biggest mistske, was cutting their nose off to spite their face and treating Erik Buell like a red headed step child. They should have bought that guy or better yet, had him buy into Harley and work with R&D and pump out the sport bikes and street fighters branded as Harleys. Rather than shoving an Evo in a sophisticated frame and calling it a buell. My wide glide when it was brand new in 2013 was an 18k dollar bike off the show room floor. There isn't 10k in parts and labor to put one together. You think I paid 18k for it? Hell no. First midlife crisis have to give it up due to failing health add that came on Craigslist I stole it with 800 miles for 6800.
They'd also do better if they put multiple production plants up in states that lack winter. Or expand into the power sports realm, build dirt bikes, jetskis, side by sides, and quads to steal some money from Polaris/Victory/Indian. But when you market a bike that looks like it's from the 50s, to folks in their 50s and 60s and slap a price tag of 30k on it... then wonder why your company is going belly up and sales are dropping...

On a personal note. I am no more entitled, privileged, special, than you, nor are you more entitled, privileged, special than me. We're Americans. First and foremost. I can understand your perspective and transgressions. Unfortunately ignorance isn't exclusive to any one particular group. But I can't sympathize with a victim/lemming outlook. I can only encourage you to see things objectively rather than short sightedly as part of group think.

As far as you being under the impression the right wing is coming for you or looking to strip rights, that's absurd.
One issue, I would encourage the older Republicans to drop. Abortion.
Older Republicans crack me up... all life is sacred! Yet... complain about single mothers/fathers and the crime that stems from broken homes without positive role models for parents...
To them I say drop it, that hill is not the one to die on. So long as it's not funded in tax dollars, and it's privately funded... Reason being. There are more people that have kids, that I wouldn't trust raising a puppy, and wonder why society is as degenerate as it is... perhaps if they had the option and weren't persecuted as being some sort of sinner and aborted rather than bringing a kid into a non conducive environment...
I find that to be incredibly selfish to bring a kid into this world for all the wrong reasons, but that's another topic for discussion and it primarily revolves around personal and fiscal responsibilities...

Far as Pat Buchanan goes, you can question those that support him and why. To ask why Buchanan says and believes what he does that's for you to ask him.
This was really long, hence it took a while for me to reply. I will be as brief as I can.

1) For as much as taxes can be a pain to pay, taxes have been the least of my worries. Right now I live in a red state and I'm currently unemployed. When I did work I rarely complained about taxes. I don't know where you live, but where I live, the cost of living is rising. And it is not so much about taxes, but everyone is trying to move here, hence the demand is up.

2) I don't want to live in Florida. Too much tropical weather for my taste. Washington state is left leaning and no income tax there. No income tax in Nevada. I live in Georgia, which is a right-wing leaning state, and we have a state income tax here.

3) When I said I belong to one of the most looked down on groups, I also mentioned relative to other groups. There is a difference between being a minority and being a specific minority. I've met people who had no problems being around minorities, but drew the line at Black people. And so what if Democrats are pandering to minorities. To be honest, both parties have their own pecking order in terms of who gets what. Blacks get the least out of the deal, relative to other groups.

3b) I live in a state with plenty of bad roads. Georgia is a right wing state. Its transportation infrastructure is not up to par.

4) Taking down Confederate statues is not "altering history". It is the acknowledgement that the Confederates are not people worth honoring. They don't deserve to be honored. The Confederate cause was about trying to keep slavery around. Yes, I view the Confederate flag the same way I view the Nazi flag. I view the Confederate cause the same way I view the Nazi cause. I don't care if it's anyone's "heritage". It's something that should be shamed and looked at as an egregious mistake in American history. The Confederates were traitors fighting for a cause for which preserving the institution of slavery was the main goal. Erecting statues of Confederate generals says you support that cause. Period. No its, ands, or buts. No excuses.

5) The privilege thing. This is what I know. In many cases, outcomes are sometimes determined by the way someone feels about another person. Having been treated like crap by others BECAUSE I'm black, having watch some really stupid events take place, I disagree that there is no such thing as "no privilege".

6) Police here in Georgia are not neutered. We still have a big opioid problem. I live in a right wing Republican county, and whenever I go on walks, I manage to walk past a few syringes on the ground. Where I live, meth has been a big problem. It's all over the rural and exurban areas. A few months ago we had a major drug bust. Several people were arrested. It hasn't stopped the opioid use. Some people simply don't care. South Carolina, next door, is not a catch and release state. Opioid overdose deaths are very bad there. It's bad in Utah, a state with strict alcohol laws and police who will arrest and imprison you for opioid use.

Authoritarian aspects aren't always a good thing. In some cases they limit freedom. Think about this. Baltimore has some of the strictest gun laws in the USA. Newark too. And yet, those cities have some of the worst murder rates in the USA.

In Georgia, plenty of people get pulled over for speeding, especially where I live. Alot of people still do it, particularly around the Atlanta area.

I've learned something over the years. Locking up junkies and drunks doesn't stop them from relapsing. Drugs are infiltrating the prisons. Getting the dealers off the streets help far more than jailing the junkies. Personally, I'm more worried about violent crime. Georgia, and several states in the South, have high violent crime rates. We have the death penalty down here.

7) Don't blame Honda, Nissan, and Toyota for Ford's problems. And I don't blame unions either. What happened was this. The oil crisis. When oil prices went up, more people needed cars that would burn less fuel. Japanese automobile companies started to fill that void. Those companies can set up factories here and still employ Americans here. Nissan employs Americans in the Nashville area. Ford needed to be a better innovator. It was an innovator, and then it got soft. You have to be able to compete.

I pay attention to what people say, and I read between the lines. I was not talking about everyone on the right. I was talking about the Authoritarian Right Wing, as Pat Buchanan speaks of it, and in that context. He was talking about people not wanting to be minorities in their own country. I'm already a minority in America. I'm already at that point, so there's no purpose to support what Pat Buchanan is speaking of.

I don't know what Pat Buchanan supports what he supports. I do know this. I look out for me, and I don't think Pat Buchanan will.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:26 PM

73,129 posts, read 62,974,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I hope this doesn’t sound like a personal attack. But I never understood people who left western countries to live in a no western one or marry nonwhite people talk about how the white race must survive or how western civilization is dying, or how western civilization is the best, but I don’t live in the west...

You remind me of a YouTuber Black Pigeon Speaks who likes to rant about the west and the death of the west and immigration but is an immigrant to Japan who runs a political YouTube channel. Like you loved the west so much that you left it? Or you didn’t want it to die so you ran away to another country and left your family and friends to perish? Or the best one is I’m a white nationalist who married a Latina (not a white one but a clearly mixed one) or East Asian and has children.
Even stranger yet is this. Places like Japan, South Korea, they were hated by such people. Now, these places are loved as they have grown prosperous.

Some of those white supremacists might be married to a non-White person, but they never view them as an equal. My theory is that they married someone based on looking for someone to control, someone whom they could perceive themselves to be top dog over. It isn't about saving western civilization, but rather, making sure that only White males can be top dog.

Furthermore, this also proves something else. I know that Black Pigeon Speaks respects East Asians, but complains about Black people. What some persons really want to say is "kick the Blacks, Hispanics, and Middle Easterners out of America".

Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,706,950 times
Quote:
From Green Mariner:

5) The privilege thing. This is what I know. In many cases, outcomes are sometimes determined by the way someone feels about another person. Having been treated like crap by others BECAUSE I'm black, having watch some really stupid events take place, I disagree that there is no such thing as "no privilege".
Well, there isn't. There is class privilege, but not white privilege. Not all white people are treated the same, or even treated well.

The word privilege is defined as a special advantage. Being treated decently isn't a special advantage - it's the way everyone should be treated.

To refer to it as a privilege indicates a belief that nobody should be treated that way and everyone should be treated the way you've been treated.

The thinking on this is quite screwed up - but I blame the white SJW's. They just love twisting things like this.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM

11,183 posts, read 10,767,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
That`s the same Ku Kluxxer stuff he`s been selling for 50 years. I`m not buying.
You managed to attack the messenger and throw in the racist card in the very first response - all without saying anything to refute the subject. Impressive, in a SJW sort of way.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 PM

11,969 posts, read 25,563,870 times
The rise of the authoritarian right is a reaction to the left going too far left and insisting on forcing open borders on people and then calling anyone who raises any concerns a Nazi. I voted almost exclusively Democrat since 2002 but am now considering whether or not their is a place for moderates like me in today's Democrat Party. Based on what I see daily on social media open borders is now the unofficial position of the Democrats. I'm pro immigration if those coming in are vetted for cultural and compatibility and economic need, Democrats seem to believe that all Western nations must cease being majority White and Christian to atone for their racist past and that any immigration standards are inherently bigoted.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:05 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,125,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
So once again, you didn't really answer the question...

How does you skin color entitle you one way or another?
Like in South Africa??

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8234461.html

Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM

63,328 posts, read 29,403,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The rise of the authoritarian right is a reaction to the left going too far left and insisting on forcing open borders on people and then calling anyone who raises any concerns a Nazi. I voted almost exclusively Democrat since 2002 but am now considering whether or not their is a place for moderates like me in today's Democrat Party. Based on what I see daily on social media open borders is now the unofficial position of the Democrats. I'm pro immigration if those coming in are vetted for cultural and compatibility and economic need, Democrats seem to believe that all Western nations must cease being majority White and Christian to atone for their racist past and that any immigration standards are inherently bigoted.

You nailed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies