Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think Mueller's Russia investigation will end?
End of a witch hunt with no evidence of wrong doings 41 41.41%
No impeachment, but some blaming statement comparable to the "carelessness" in the Hillary email investigation conclusion 14 14.14%
Impeachment, but acquittal 3 3.03%
Impeachment + conviction, but stays in office 4 4.04%
Impeachment + conviction + resignation or removal from office 18 18.18%
Other (elaborate) 19 19.19%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:43 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Would you like to discuss the DOJ regulations regarding the ability to indict a sitting President?
That's what impeachment is for. If there is criminal activity uncovered and the GOP doesn't have the guts to put country before party, we'll have to wait until after the midterms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 03:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Reminder: Not what you hope for, but what you think likely, even to your disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
After seeing the first question calling it a "witch hunt", I didn't vote. And added someone to my ignore list.
Not that I care about being ignored (I don't care a dime a nickle), but I should have added quotation mark around "witch hunt", or reword without those two words. I agree it's not a neutral-sounding phrase.

(You are welcome to keep me in the ignore list )

Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Trump is innocent. He has done nothing wrong.
He needs to go over and tell Mueller that face-to-face, then, and prove his innocence by answering all the questions honestly.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
But President Trump can pardon them , either in 20 or 24.
He CAN...but there are issues there. They have to admit guilt to be pardoned....and if they have admitted guilt they can't claim the 5th when asked questions.....which can lead to further problems.

Plus....there are related (but not identical) state crimes involved. Which are not pardonable. Pardons are not the extreme power people think because of those facts.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:48 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
The poll is flawed because it mixes Mueller’s investigation with impeachment. Impeachment involves not just the legal facts unearthed in the investigation but the political will of Congress.

There should have been an option with a finding of criminal action by the President or other associates. If the President were charged by Mueller, it would be in a referral to Congress and with the current composition of the House there would be no danger of an Article of Impeachment passing. If the Democrats take the House in the fall, there would be a possibility of Impeachment but not much of a chance of removal of office by the Senate because of the 2/3rds requirement, unless there is a total meltdown of R support, such as happened to Richard Nixon. In the hyper partisan environment that now exists it’s hard seeing a broad consensus on removing a President from office.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
But President Trump can pardon them , either in 20 or 24.
He can't pardon them for state charges, though, which are every bit as tough, and all of the crimes in the indictments were committed in particular locales. Trump can't pardon his way out of this one.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
All said, I think ultimately, Trump does more harm to Republicans by staying in office. Democrats shouldn't want him removed.
This is a common comment, and you arent wrong....if they were putting party before country. Lets be honest, Pence will be 10X more effective then Trump. He could easily get the GOP back on track and MAYBE recover from the drubbing they will get in the mid terms. If all that people cared about was their country, Trump is awesome for Democrats.

But most people care more about their country.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:54 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
There was not a choice which exactly matched what I think will be the most likely outcome: enough evidence will be uncovered to start impeachment procedings, but Trump will declare that he's achieved his goals and Made America Great Again, so rather than put the country through an impeachment, he will patriotically resign in favor of Pence.

Then he'll fly down to Mar-a-Lago, trailing clouds of glory (in his own imagination, at least), for endless rounds of golf, pretty ladies of dubious virtue, and double-scoops. He is likely to seek out opportunities for personal appearances, since he so clearly is addicted to attention.

Meanwhile, Melania will be suddenly hit by intense homesickness for Slovenia, and will take Barron along to explore his ancestral roots - and never return.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I have said all along my crystal balls says Mueller will not have sufficient evidence to charge Trump with a crime related to Russia no diff than the 6+ year Special Counsel investigation of the Clintons and the Whitewater thing.

At the same time it’s likely others have been and will continue to face charges for all sorts of things related and unrelated to Russia. Again, this is how it went down with the Clinton investigation.

None of us know what the Mueller Team knows, so it’s all speculation.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have said all along my crystal balls says Mueller will not have sufficient evidence to charge Trump with a crime related to Russia no diff than the 6+ year Special Counsel investigation of the Clintons and the Whitewater thing.

At the same time it’s likely others have been and will continue to face charges for all sorts of things related and unrelated to Russia. Again, this is how it went down with the Clinton investigation.

None of us know what the Mueller Team knows, so it’s all speculation.
Pretty much. I think Trumps two biggest concerns are either obstruction charges or past business dealings. I think this is why Cohen is a bigger deal then most people realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies