Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times

Advertisements

Boils down to the fact that Muslims have money too. Capitalism ain't racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
More political correctness, after hyping up the racial nature of Black Panther which coulda simply been an African movie without focusing on the racial issues.

Oh yes and the Black Panthers were a radical violent organization. Imagine if there was a white superhero named The Klansman.
Another post from someone ignorant of the comic character. Marvel's Black Panther actually predates the creation of the Black Panther Party.

Nor did the Black Panther Party ever commit acts of terror against any white people. Not only ignorant of comics, but ignorant of real life as well.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So what's the difference between an African-American actor playing an African (pick a country) or vice versa and a Lebanese actor playing an American-Pakistani?
First off the Lebanese actor I mentioned is some 20 years older than the character in the comics. Now who knows if she would be aged up, but unless she was, it wouldn't work. The point is, that kind of actor is hard to find. I really want to see Ms. Marvel someday but they need to find someone Tom Holland aged at most.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
First off the Lebanese actor I mentioned is some 20 years older than the character in the comics. Now who knows if she would be aged up, but unless she was, it wouldn't work. The point is, that kind of actor is hard to find. I really want to see Ms. Marvel someday but they need to find someone Tom Holland aged at most.
Okay, so it's just the age factor you're looking at.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:33 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And a lot of Muslim women do not wear veils--most outside Muslim countries do not, and even most in countries like Turkey do not-- so that doesn't add up to a "requirement."
My boss does not, nor does she wear a hijab. She's a transportation engineer.

I went to a scholarship dinner with her and others, all alumni of the engineering school in Karachi. A woman engineer who did wear the hijab got up and spoke passionately about guiding daughters to study physics and science because there is still an imbalance of men vs. women in the engineering disciplines.

I sat there thinking how many imbeciles there are out there who wouldn't believe it if they saw and heard it with their own eyes and ears.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:38 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Are muslim women allowed to be super heroes?
If they cover most of their face, I would assume so.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I saw this older post re-upped through the whole Captain Marvel controversy thread. I forget if I posted about this or not so bare with me.

I love Ms. Marvel. She is an amazing character. It is fan-girl culture. She is like what Spider-Man or Robin were in their day. She has a comic-book cover doing a selfie with Wolverine (the original not his daughter.) She is one of the most known new characters. I would LOVE to see her in the MCU but I see a few problems and none are the racial backlash.
  1. MCU congestion. With Disney buying Fox, this gives Fantastic Four, X-Men (and all the X-characters) and Silver Surfer as potential movie sources. This is on top of the Ant-Mans, Doctor Stranges, Black Panthers, etc.
  2. I don't really know any young Muslim actresses who can portray Kamala. I have heard fan-castings of her BUT I don't see them working because they don't look like the character or too old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Have they ever addressed the issue in these comics that the superheroes only seem to age ever so slightly? Peter Parker was born maybe about 1950 making him nearly 70 years old now. Jay Jonah Jameson would be 100 if the character is still alive, I haven't touched a comic book for at least 15 years. Characters die and get brought back or they do kill off some now and again for real. I'm guessing Peter Parker, if still around, is now in his 40s maybe? Have they replaced him with another character in the comics?
They redo characters to make them more topical for the present and always with an eye for marketability. But usually these efforts just make the characters less able to stand the test of time. Sell a few comics now, then shelve the idea in a year or two.
They could do retro movies with the classic characters back in their original time periods, say the 1960s. They need some kind of new gimmick to keep making movies.
Yes but here is an interesting comment about the comics, a comic arc of six books or so may take days to weeks or months, depending on how much time goes by. So if 12 to 24 books are released in a year, it might be 3 years for calendar one year to actually go by in the books. It isn't as close.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:27 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What is it with these superhero movies? We have an entire generation of people who think this garbage is entertaining.
You may as well be shouting Get off my lawn....

Old 03-03-2019, 02:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am not an expert, but, what religion are any of them? I do not recall them saying, expressing, or anything.
Anyone able to answer this?

Old 03-03-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am not an expert, but, what religion are any of them? I do not recall them saying, expressing, or anything.
There's a guy who had 'way too much time on his hands who actually analyzed the expressed or likely religion of a couple of hundred comic book characters based on clues revealed in the magazines.

There were a couple of Marvel storylines that helped him out immensely, though.

ComicBookReligion.com: Comic Book Religion Database (religion of super-heroes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies