Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 03:52 PM

89,173 posts, read 44,953,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
No it’s not. No right is absolute. That’s why you can’t own grenade launchers and machine guns.
Actually, you can own them. You can own cannons and tanks, too. The caveat is that there are laws that prohibit using them against others.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And yet you won't stop talking about Home Depot. As if that has any relevance to today's school shooting.
It does have relevance. Both cases involve weapon(s) used in a way to which the owner didn't consent.

2,189 posts, read 1,409,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The kid is underage. Locking up the guns is the right answer.

Mom should know how to access them and how to shoot.

She can put the kids in a bedroom and grab a gun.

Sorry, but too many kids have used their parents' guns to kill other people.

It's ridiculous that adult gun owners are being so careless. These people, not the "evil gun-grabbing libruls" are going to be what gets guns restricted.

Mark my words on that one.

If you are a responsible gun owner, you have to weigh the risks vs. benefits. There is NO benefit to letting a kid know how to access your guns when you are not there observing that kid. Especially a kid who is posting all over social media talking about death and killing.
I'm not here to argue, just want to point out that there are two sides to it. By the way, by the time the kid would had gone upstairs and woke his Mother and she fumbled to find the keys and stumbled over to the safe, then unlocked it, then got out the gun, there would had been no chance for anyone to survive, not in my scenario. Now, what I posted was just a scenario, but it does happen. We could go back in history and find 1000's of examples. But my main point here is that there is no simple answer to cover it all. Other than if everyone somehow just found love and compassion in their hearts.

50,453 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Yes. If the kid has no license, why does he have access to a car and keys?
So now keys have to go in a gun safe? We hear about teens sneaking out the family car all the time.

Come on, either your kid is good or bad. At some point you cannot blame the parents for the devil spawn and their evils, 18 years old or not.

Plus, most kids know wayyyy more about social media, tech etc than the average parent now. They can post crap and hide it easy.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:55 PM

24,446 posts, read 23,114,427 times
Kids today lack socialization due to constant use of cell phones and technological gadgets that isolate them from interacting with others. Plus they are programmed almost from birth by digital media that glorifies sex, money and violence. When reality fails to deliver what they think it should, they lose it.
In short, kids are a mess and as a society and culture we've abandoned them.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Dude, seriously... I was not talking about the thread title. But, you knew that.
So... You admit your posts are off topic. Fine. Delete them, mod.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM

923 posts, read 496,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So now keys have to go in a gun safe? We hear about teens sneaking out the family car all the time.

Not just teens. I knew a guy once whose sons were 5 and 7 at the time and took the car out of the garage - one operated the steering wheel, the other the brake and accelerator

8,924 posts, read 5,640,570 times
We all know what needs to be done. This problem isn’t going away with “thoughts and Prayers” pray the guns away isn’t working either. We clearly need to address the lax gun laws. That isn’t the only problem but we also need to change a number of laws. Trump will act shocked but until we get meaningful gun laws this won’t stop.

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've actually hit upon the problem... That's EXACTLY what designated "gun-free zones" such as schools are... such policies allow people to take your arms without your consent.
You really are determined to ignore a problem, aren't you?

A school is pretty much the last place that anyone other than a highly-trained professional should be wandering around while they have a gun on their person.

Too hard to keep said gun secured.

Most school shooters are kids themselves. A good many get guns from parents or obtain them illegally (gun show loophole for the Columbine killers).

We need to fix that. Holding parents accountable would be a good start.

I see the larger goal to be retaining 2nd amendment rights while reducing the number of school shootings (hell, the number of shootings, period).

Why are you against that sort of thing? I mean, if you are not, it sure sounds like you are.

If you think a guy who cannot even keep his gun secured and away from a teen he KNOWS in his home can be trusted to walk AMONG a lot of teens, some he does NOT know, and keep a gun from them, you're really putting way more trust into that guy than he deserves.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,245,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, you can own them. You can own cannons and tanks, too. The caveat is that there are laws that prohibit using them against others.
So why can't we have the level of restrictions we have on those weapons on small arms like AR-15's and handguns?

So having serious restrictions on ownership of a belt feed machine gun...is not in violation of the 2nd Amendment.

But having serious restrictions on ownership of an AR-15's is in violation of the 2nd Amendment? What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies