Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times

Advertisements

Another thread, about one area in Canada, and all of Canada gets branded.

As has been said, every province and territory runs their own healthcare system, under the federal Canada Health Act.

Here in British Columbia, not sure about the other provinces, it is even broken down further. The province has several health authorities each responsible to a geographic area. So what happens in one, may not in another, since every area has different needs and demographics.

This story is about the Fraser Health authority. Vancouver is not part of that, Vancouver is in the Coastal Health authority. The story even makes the distinction by pitting one against the others results.

I point this out, so people understand this is not a story about the Canadian system, it's a story about one health authority that is being held up to public account, to do better in ER times. I have personal experience dealing with Fraser Health since my mother lives in that area. They have been excellent in her home care, her doctors visits, her many surgeries, her MRI's, etc. She is now in a home in that district, and again the care is stellar.

Here is a link of the authorities. The map is interactive.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...th-authorities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...vancouver.html

Guess, they need to either increase the taxes, decrease the wages of the health care workers at the hospitals or take on debt for general operations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellne...ry?id=10508791

I am all for Medicare, Medicaid and State-run insurance cooperatives as long as it's a small state, with Japanese diets and obesity rates and mountain athletic lifestyles.

But overall I can't imagine what will happen if states here in the United States start going single-payer like certain large states have proposed.

American's are far less healthy than Canadians. I can't imagine the waiting times here if we go to a Canadian style system.

The only way a socialized system might work here in the U.S would be if the federal government just gave a block grant based on population to the states and we lived as healthy as people in Japan and the wages were much lower in the health care profession.
If this scenario was wide spread there would be calls by the Canadian electorate to abolish healthcare, as it is Canadians are happy with their healthcare and service is rendered in a timely fashion.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If this scenario was wide spread there would be calls by the Canadian electorate to abolish healthcare, as it is Canadians are happy with their healthcare and service is rendered in a timely fashion.
Exactly. We should also point out, that this made the news. Canadians are invested on our system, and when there is an issue, it is made public, and people DEMAND it to be fixed. Politicians are aware of this.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Many Canadians come here for health care.
They don't in any significant numbers. Along the border some of the provincial health agencies will send patients to the USA rather than ship them further to a Canadian hospital -- but very very few people come to the USA for treatment.

This was something created by conservative groups to make you think that CAnadians weren't happy.

Don't you think if Canadians felt it was so much better here they would advocate for change in Canada...and they aren't.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Another thread, about one area in Canada, and all of Canada gets branded.

As has been said, every province and territory runs their own healthcare system, under the federal Canada Health Act.

Here in British Columbia, not sure about the other provinces, it is even broken down further. The province has several health authorities each responsible to a geographic area. So what happens in one, may not in another, since every area has different needs and demographics.

This story is about the Fraser Health authority. Vancouver is not part of that, Vancouver is in the Coastal Health authority. The story even makes the distinction by pitting one against the others results.

I point this out, so people understand this is not a story about the Canadian system, it's a story about one health authority that is being held up to public account, to do better in ER times. I have personal experience dealing with Fraser Health since my mother lives in that area. They have been excellent in her home care, her doctors visits, her many surgeries, her MRI's, etc. She is now in a home in that district, and again the care is stellar.

Here is a link of the authorities. The map is interactive.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...th-authorities
Good way of explaining -- not sure they will hear --- they want to believe what they want to believe.

Just had a friend move to Del Ray Florida --- she ended up coming back to Charleston SC for treatment for an injury because they would not be able to operate for three months. She's fortunate to have been in the medical field here in the Charleston area and had friends in high places. She was operated within a week -- instead of three months.

And for the record -- this person is a die hard Republican and would not create an issue to justify any socialized medicine. I know sometimes folks are cynical that people make up things to support their agenda.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They don't in any significant numbers. Along the border some of the provincial health agencies will send patients to the USA rather than ship them further to a Canadian hospital -- but very very few people come to the USA for treatment.

This was something created by conservative groups to make you think that CAnadians weren't happy.

Don't you think if Canadians felt it was so much better here they would advocate for change in Canada...and they aren't.
It is a myth that just won't die. Like the 9/11 terrorist coming to the US through Canada.

About 45,000 to 60,000 Canadians get treatment outside of Canada per year. How many of them go to the US I don't know, but probably the majority. These people have the money to pay full price for a procedure, since no medical insurance will cover a medical tourist.

I personally no of no one that has done this.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,933 times
Sounds like the US. Did they also get a 10k bill to go with it like we would?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It is a myth that just won't die. Like the 9/11 terrorist coming to the US through Canada.

About 45,000 to 60,000 Canadians get treatment outside of Canada per year. How many of them go to the US I don't know, but probably the majority. These people have the money to pay full price for a procedure, since no medical insurance will cover a medical tourist.

EDIT:

I just remembered. I know of one person who went to Europe for a experimental cancer treatment, not available in Canada or the US. Unfortunately it was too late for them.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:

There's no information about where Canadians go for medical treatment, my guess is that they go the same places that 1.4 million US citizens go every year; Brazil for plastic surgery, Mexico for dental work, eastern europe for hair transplants.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There's no information about where Canadians go for medical treatment, my guess is that they go the same places that 1.4 million US citizens go every year; Brazil for plastic surgery, Mexico for dental work, eastern europe for hair transplants.
AND further, those stats do nothing to isolate those Canadians who might in fact be travelling and become sick while doing so.

Think for instance the thousands of elderly snowbirds in Florida who come down with some serious illness while there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies