Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Sounds better than my experience with our private healthcare, 13 hours to be seen, 48 hours to be admitted.
LOL that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. The OP must have led a very charmed life as to not be aware of this. Six or eight hours in an ER is not that uncommon any more - this in the country with the most expensive health care in the world. And it is very common to be left out in the hall or on a gurney for a day while they sort out whether you are close enough to death for an insurance company to admit you.

In the old days, a DOCTOR would decide whether to admit you. These days the MD can only ADVISE that you be admitted - it's actually some budgeteer in an insurance company that will make the call.

We have learned to have the Internet handy to be able to diagnose our own problem - and to be certain that the treatment they are providing makes sense. If you don't have an informed advocate when you go into a hospital these days, you are at a serious disadvantage. And all of this for a incredible amount of $$$.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 03-15-2019 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 04:51 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Its called 'triage'. If you go to the ER with a runny nose, expect to go to the back of the line behind a few things like trauma, cardiac arrest, stroke, respiratory compromise, hypertensive crisis, diabetic coma, pneumonia and a few others. That is why it is called an EMERGENCY Room.

Half the people in the ER could have just called their doctor for an appointment, gone to urgent care, or just let their cold or other minor issue run its course in a few days and they would be fine. I have seen people in the ER for things as minor as a scratch on the tip of a finger. I know a lot of people go the ER just because they feel bad and sometimes what appears to be minor, is not. At the same time, a lot of people just need to stay home and take care of themselves, eat better and exercise.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:59 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
But doesn't that mean you're paying for something you cannot use? In Nova Scotia, you're paying 15% HST on pretty much everything you purchase, plus Nova Scotia fuel and sales tax on that car and the gas in that car (assuming that you are renting it), in the fuel tax for your aircraft, plus municipal taxes on your condo. So you're paying a lot in tax to the Halifax, the Nova Scotia, and the Canadian governments, and you're getting nothing in return. Or am I missing something?

As an aside, a friend had a Cessna 172. I learned how to read the "six-pack" from him, from our many flights. I do rather envy you for being able to fly. Although my friend turned the controls over to me in level flight on a few occasions, my eyes won't let me learn how to fly. Wish I could!
Of course I pay their tax rates when there. I usually stop in Maine and fuel up before crossing Bay of Fundy. I never buy Jet A in Canada. When I leave I stop in Bangor to clear Customs and I fuel there.

Unless you are legally blind, you could learn to fly,

Old 03-15-2019, 05:03 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
LOL that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. The OP must have led a very charmed life as to not be aware of this. Six or eight hours in an ER is not that uncommon any more - this in the country with the most expensive health care in the world. And it is very common to be left out in the hall or on a gurney for a day while they sort out whether you are close enough to death for an insurance company to admit you.

In the old days, a DOCTOR would decide whether to admit you. These days the MD can only ADVISE that you be admitted - it's actually some budgeteer in an insurance company that will make the call.

We have learned to have the Internet handy to be able to diagnose our own problem - and to be certain that the treatment they are providing makes sense. If you don't have an informed advocate when you go into a hospital these days, you are at a serious disadvantage. And all of this for a incredible amount of $$$.
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but if you're not too far south, just jump on I-75 headed north until you come to exit-35 (US-24 aka Telegraph Rd).

Head north on Telegraph to Beaumont hospital (used to be Henry Ford Healthcare System)...right after KFC, Taco Bell, PizzaHut...

If you see Zap-Zone on the right, you went too far.

When you get there you'll probably see a bunch of Canadian license plates on the cars in the parking lot, but don't worry.

You didn't take a wrong turn and end up in Canada or anything like that.

It's just that a lot of Canadians go there (close to the border) for tests and procedures they can't get in a timely fashion in Canada.

So, you'll be in the right place.

Just walk into the ER and tell them you need to be treated for whatever emergency brought you there.

The Taylor Beaumont hospital transfer times averages 119 minutes and they see you in 17 minutes (average).

https://projects.propublica.org/emergency/state/OH

https://projects.propublica.org/emergency/state/MI

Last edited by momonkey; 03-15-2019 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How about Canadians get to go to the doctor. Canadians get healthcare coverage. Canadians don't die due to lack of health coverage.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellne...ry?id=13887040

https://thinkprogress.org/sick-orego...-8e051bd580bf/
Yes, Canada is a real pancea of health care. Want that hip replacement quickly.....best of luck with that!

Old 03-15-2019, 05:30 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but if you're not too far south, just jump on I-75 headed north until you come to exit-35 (US-24 aka Telegraph Rd).

Head north on Telegraph to Beaumont hospital (used to be Henry Ford Healthcare System)...right after KFC, Taco Bell, PizzaHut...

If you see Zap-Zone on the right, you went too far.

When you get there you'll probably see a bunch of Canadian license plates on the cars in the parking lot, but don't worry.

You didn't take a wrong turn and end up in Canada or anything like that.

It's just that a lot of Canadians go there (close to the border) for tests and procedures they can't get in a timely fashion in Canada.

So, you'll be in the right place.

Just walk into the ER and tell them you need to be treated for whatever emergency brought you there.

https://projects.propublica.org/emergency/state/OH

https://projects.propublica.org/emergency/state/MI
LOL you better stick with that hospital, you are very lucky.

Sure hasn't been our experience in recent days. My account was not an exaggeration - it's typical. What you are pointing out here is that with our health care system it is luck of the draw; you better be sure that when you have a serious trauma or experience those chest pains, that you have researched what emergency room to go to.

We are acutely aware of the differences in treatment and delay at different facilities. Unfortunately, many insurance providers don't cover all facilities - Medicare Advantage for example is liable to boot your aging mother's butt out on the street if they are not in Network. Our system STINKS.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 03-15-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Some Canadians waiting 7 hours in emergency rooms without seeing doctor

Some Americans have NO place to wait.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ow-110118.html

What's a better deal, 7 hours or never?

Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Some Americans never get to see a doctor at all and die.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Some Americans never get to see a doctor at all and die.

Thats what they are hoping. Like being on a phone call and being put on hold, you get tired of waiting and hang up.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Unless you are legally blind, you could learn to fly,
I am color-blind. Yes, I can read a six-pack, but don't ask me to pick out red or green signals. I have been disqualified from learning to fly from my eye doctors.

Best I can do now is sit as far forward on commuter flights as I can, hope the curtain is open, read the six-pack as I can see it, and wish I could fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies