Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Thousands? Oh...lol. Know who pays more? Americans. Canada is #2 on this. And we sell our homes over accrued medical debt too.

Imagine the Canadian helathcare system...only 10X worse. Welcome to America. A hospital ride? $2,000 for the last one I had to pay for here. My medications if I lose my job? $1,600 a month. Oh and the medication that works best is too expensive so my health insurance refused to cover it.
I had to spend 3.5 months in the hospital about 14 years ago. It involved at least two ambulance transfers.

Although I did not have any earnings (obviously), I paid exactly zero for any medical bills, including drugs while under care. That includes two surgeries that were required.

I would be bankrupt in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ I work for one of the biggest healthcare companies in the US, trust me, my company finds ways to insert themselves into government run programs. Much of our business is government contracts Medicaid/Tricare/Medicare. The US govt will not be running a VA or NHS type system for all citizens, ever.

Even when the company lost money on the ACA exchanges, profits soared from other areas of the business despite how bad the media made it seem ACA was for us.
Exactly. My girlfriend is a case manager for one of the largest insurers in the US, and I am very aware of how the so called "compliance" matrix affects care. It makes for interesting discussions about the differences in our health care systems. She envies what I have, even though supposedly her coverage is gold plated.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
And?

My last ER visiting the US had a six hour wait. What’s your point? I had to pay out of pocket for service, theirs is free.
Nothing is free -- air yes but I wonder.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I had to spend 3.5 months in the hospital about 14 years ago. It involved at least two ambulance transfers.

Although I did not have any earnings (obviously), I paid exactly zero for any medical bills, including drugs while under care. That includes two surgeries that were required.

I would be bankrupt in the USA.
Perhaps we should all start migrating to the massive country of Canada where there are so few people. And get everything free.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I can't imagine what waiting for medical care is like because I have never had to.

Every time I have visited the ER, I have been seen within a few minutes.

However, I have waited long hours at the Secretary of State (Michigan's version of the DMV) to renew my license.

In fact, I can't recall ever doing something with a government agency that didn't involve me waiting several hours, even after setting an appointment date, for a service that required just a couple minutes of a government employee's time.

A state agency (take your pick) will always be the model of inefficiency and incompetency.
Well this current U.S. president wants to privitize everything so maybe we'll get all things from private sector. I'll be gone by then.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I can't imagine what waiting for medical care is like because I have never had to.

Every time I have visited the ER, I have been seen within a few minutes.

However, I have waited long hours at the Secretary of State (Michigan's version of the DMV) to renew my license.

In fact, I can't recall ever doing something with a government agency that didn't involve me waiting several hours, even after setting an appointment date, for a service that required just a couple minutes of a government employee's time.

A state agency (take your pick) will always be the model of inefficiency and incompetency.
You might want to chat with those three patients I posted about in post number five of this thread...oh wait....you can't; they all died while waiting in an American ER.

Here's another example from ten years ago that would indicate people aren't the least fazed by waiting in emergency rooms as this one died on the floor and nobody seemed to think it was extraordinary, just sat there and ignored the spectacle.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emergen...parks-outrage/

Last edited by BruSan; 06-07-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Perhaps we should all start migrating to the massive country of Canada where there are so few people. And get everything free.
Except Canadians don't get free healthcare. They know that. It is paid for out of their taxes, not at time of delivery. You don't receive a bill when you seek care.

And before you say but taxes, the tax rates in Canada are now lower than they are in many parts of the U.S. I paid more in taxes in California than I did in Ontario.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Many Canadians come here for health care.
The study you are referring to is by a conservative think tank, "Fraser", they claim that 63,000 Canadians went out of country for healthcare. The way they came to that figure is a little odd, but even if it's accurate- there is no breakdown on which country they went to for healthcare, it could be that a number of them went to one of the Eastern European Countries that are known for cheap hair transplants, or to Mexico for dental or plastic surgery. In any case given that the population of Canada is 37,000,000 it looks like about .17% of the population left that country for some form of healthcare. In 2016 1.4 million Americans went outside of the US for healthcare which is about .43%

Sources:

1.4 Million Americans Will Go Abroad for Medical Care This Year. Should You? | The Fiscal Times

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/63-000...tute-1.3486635

Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Too many people running to the ER for BS anyways.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:43 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Same problem in the UK with the NHS. The problem is these countries need to charge a copay to discourage people seeing the doc for the littlest ache or pain or sniffle. Waste of time.

If you want to see an entertaining Britcom about this, watch Doc Martin starring Martin Clunes. It has the ring of truth and is wonderful on every level -- writing, acting, directing. Perfection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies