Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and do you really think socialized medicine would make that issue go away? What are you going to do when doctors refuse to work in the rural hospitals? The problem of rural hospitals will not disappear with the introduction of forced federal health care. There might be some arguments to support socialized medicine but yous certainly is not one of them.
Rural hospitals have been closing for decades.

Census says 19.3% of the US population lives in a rural area that encompasses 97% of the US land.

People in rural areas tend to be older, sicker and poorer than in urban- suburban areas. The average number of patients in a rural hospital is low, very low, compared to urban/ suburban hospitals.

Rural hospitals are not often targets of acquisistion by large healthcare systems/ networks. Despite often times lower cost of living, rural hospitals tend to charge more because there is no local competition and patient load is small.

Municipalities/ Counties/ States can do more but that would require higher taxes. Instead they deflect and blame the Federal Government.

Recent closings tend to be higher in those states that did not expand Medicaid. They have more people who cannot pay for healthcare who become sicker and sooner or later land in the ER and cannot pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
could that be because they never have been part of anything else? I remember when Obama care was th subject of discussion everywhere. We watched programs discussing the issue and hearing from medical professionals from other countries, including yours I will add. Many could see why Americans were not supporting his plan. I have talked to doctors in Canada, many of them or I should say a few of them also see the problems with government run health care. So, sorry, I know there are many views on this topic and nothing works for everyone, but I just don't see the benefit of single payer.

Ask your doctor friends how much time they spend dealing with insurance, and how any employees they have for dealing with it.

Also look at how the fractured system we have can be leveraged to overcharge us on things.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You apparently can't imagine what US waiting times are today either.

For some people in the USA, the wait time to see a Doctor is a lifetime. That's far worse than 7 hours.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No they don't and the ones that do ,Canada pays for it.
bull: this is absolutely not true, not in any way. !!!!!! Show me where there is any information about Canada paying for their people to come to America for regular medical care. We are not talking an exception where a particular treatment isn't available. I can sight case after case of people in Canada that would do anything to have our system and our availability to doctors.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
could that be because they never have been part of anything else? I remember when Obama care was th subject of discussion everywhere. We watched programs discussing the issue and hearing from medical professionals from other countries, including yours I will add. Many could see why Americans were not supporting his plan. I have talked to doctors in Canada, many of them or I should say a few of them also see the problems with government run health care. So, sorry, I know there are many views on this topic and nothing works for everyone, but I just don't see the benefit of single payer.
Nope -all have worked overseas, or were from overseas.

I don't have any problems with single payer here, or with how things are done in the States -there does seem to be a big difference though, in that here the the system of healthcare delivery just isn't an issue, while in the US, it's seems like a very big issue.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
How many Canadians have to choose between food or medication, or rent or a doctor's visit? I don't see a flood of Canadians crossing the border for our healthcare "services".
And who pays for their health care with their tax $S. I guess you think health care costs just take care of themselves right? Or are you one of those who think the upper middle class and above should pay for everyone?

Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
bull: this is absolutely not true, not in any way. !!!!!! Show me where there is any information about Canada paying for their people to come to America for regular medical care. We are not talking an exception where a particular treatment isn't available. I can sight case after case of people in Canada that would do anything to have our system and our availability to doctors.
Case after case?

Really

I'm a Canadian who has lived in the USA for the last 20 years -- I've never ever heard any Canadian say they would choose the American system over Canada. Never have I ever.

Polls over the years have shown an overwhelming majority of Canadians that do not want a privatized system.

I think if anything Canadians would opt for the 'option' of private care -- choices -- but never the elimination of the health care systems that exist in each area.

All of my family is in Canada -- my husband's family is as well.

They don't want our system -- they don't -- trust me on this one.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
I’ve lived in Canada my entire life. I have never met anyone who said they preferred the American system. I bet I have met a heck of a lot more Canadians than you have.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ask your doctor friends how much time they spend dealing with insurance, and how any employees they have for dealing with it.

Also look at how the fractured system we have can be leveraged to overcharge us on things.
and that partly I agree with.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:39 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
I would rather have the universal healthcare at this point.. as a Trump voting social libertarian no less. The problem we have is the increasing number of people who don't work or contribute to the system taking from it, because we coddle everyone these days the number of people with anxiety disorders, overweight to the point of being disabled, etc. is on the rise.. these systems are going to go bankrupt unless we have a productive society with a minimum number of bottom feeders who take from the system without giving back.

That's where immigration control comes into play. Build that bleeping wall and make becoming a legal citizen with a social security number easier.. cut back on all the section 8 and welfare programs and reform them to encourage people to get jobs instead of punishing people by taking away ALL their benefits when they have the least amount of income, and we might be able to then afford single payer, when we aren't forced to pay for illegal aliens to have kids, etc. Welfare needs to be a temporary aid for those with immediate needs, not a lifelong support blanket for the functionally disabled. This may sound cruel, but rather than governments paying to support someone their entire lives who can never, ever work, we should consider cutting them loose and letting them live on the streets. Let the top 1% pay for them if they care so much like they claim to do. It seems like they always want to use other people's money for social programs but not their own. As a person of science, I believe in survival of the fittest and the notion that not everyone can be saved.

TLDR: Single payer healthcare good, but to make it affordable we need to cut back on the duration we give certain welfare programs in this country so people aren't sucking from the teet, on section 8, food stamps, welfare for 10-20 years.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-31-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies