Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...vancouver.html

Guess, they need to either increase the taxes, decrease the wages of the health care workers at the hospitals or take on debt for general operations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellne...ry?id=10508791

I am all for Medicare, Medicaid and State-run insurance cooperatives as long as it's a small state, with Japanese diets and obesity rates and mountain athletic lifestyles.

But overall I can't imagine what will happen if states here in the United States start going single-payer like certain large states have proposed.

American's are far less healthy than Canadians. I can't imagine the waiting times here if we go to a Canadian style system.

The only way a socialized system might work here in the U.S would be if the federal government just gave a block grant based on population to the states and we lived as healthy as people in Japan and the wages were much lower in the health care profession.
In a free market when you have a service that is in demand, you expand to meet the demand and try to satisfy your customers. Socialized systems work just the opposite. With the promise of free/cheap healthcare the demand rises sharply, while simultaneously the supply of doctors, hospitals, services etc. is limited (rationed) Add to this the money that funds health care isn't earned, its taken, so the state has no way to know where to allocate resources or services. It is flying blind.
When is the last time you heard of a cell phone shortage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In a free market when you have a service that is in demand, you expand to meet the demand and try to satisfy your customers. Socialized systems work just the opposite. With the promise of free/cheap healthcare the demand rises sharply, while simultaneously the supply of doctors, hospitals, services etc. is limited (rationed) Add to this the money that funds health care isn't earned, its taken, so the state has no way to know where to allocate resources or services. It is flying blind.
When is the last time you heard of a cell phone shortage?

Really? So Canada has 2.1 per 1,000 people, and better average health (thus requiring less drs)....and the us has what? 2.3?

Oh yeah there are just NO dr's up there.

Fun fact, more of us go there for medical help then come here.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Many Canadians come here for health care.
Many Americans travel outside of the USA for health care.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? So Canada has 2.1 per 1,000 people, and better average health (thus requiring less drs)....and the us has what? 2.3?

Oh yeah there are just NO dr's up there.

Fun fact, more of us go there for medical help then come here.
Can you address my post?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
it's a travesty what's happened to Canadian health care.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
it's a travesty what's happened to Canadian health care.
Oh did you live in Canada.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Here's a quick and short fact for you.

Canada spends 33% less as a percentage of GDP, and Canadians live longer.

The USA has the most expensive healthcare plan in the world, and gets only mediocre results compared to most other 1st world countries, and some 3rd world ones.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
And?

My last ER visiting the US had a six hour wait. What’s your point? I had to pay out of pocket for service, theirs is free.
Yep. Long, long waits are common in the ER here. Unless you are bleeding, you're most likely sitting and waiting. And waiting and waiting and waiting. And waiting some more.

And then you get another unhappy surprise a week later when your large ER visit bill comes in.

That's something no Canadian ever sees.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Meh. Waiting times in emergency rooms don't mean anything at all.

My brother once waited 7 hours in one before he was seen. A couple or years later, I went to the same emergency room and was admitted, examined and in surgery inside of 20 minutes.
What made the difference? My bro had an asthma attack. An oxygen mask while waiting got him by. I had appendicitis, and my appendix was ready to rupture. It wasn't going to wait at all.

It all depends on what's happening at the moment, how many people are coming in, and what their medical problems are. Emergency care is exactly what it says- one emergency is always more critical than another, and every emergency room goes through triage, where the least critical patient is seen the last, and the most critical seen the first.

The biggest difference between Canada and the U.S. is the Canadian health care system is focused on preventative care. Canadians go see their doctors much more often than we do, so their health problems are addressed far sooner, so their critical health problems don't require as much emergency service.

It is proactive rather than reactive. Cheaper in the long run for everyone, and a good way to lead a longer life with more health.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Meh. Waiting times in emergency rooms don't mean anything at all.

My brother once waited 7 hours in one before he was seen. A couple or years later, I went to the same emergency room and was admitted, examined and in surgery inside of 20 minutes.
What made the difference? My bro had an asthma attack. An oxygen mask while waiting got him by. I had appendicitis, and my appendix was ready to rupture. It wasn't going to wait at all.

It all depends on what's happening at the moment, how many people are coming in, and what their medical problems are. Emergency care is exactly what it says- one emergency is always more critical than another, and every emergency room goes through triage, where the least critical patient is seen the last, and the most critical seen the first.

The biggest difference between Canada and the U.S. is the Canadian health care system is focused on preventative care. Canadians go see their doctors much more often than we do, so their health problems are addressed far sooner, so their critical health problems don't require as much emergency service.

It is proactive rather than reactive. Cheaper in the long run for everyone, and a good way to lead a longer life with more health.
You nailed it. Emergency rooms work on a triage basis, not a first come first served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies