Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 12:44 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I would rather have the universal healthcare at this point.. as a Trump voting social libertarian no less. The problem we have is the increasing number of people who don't work or contribute from the system taking from it, because we coddle everyone these days the number of people with anxiety disorders, overweight to the point of being disabled, etc. is on the rise.. these systems are going to go bankrupt unless we have a productive society with a minimum number of bottom feeders who take from the system without giving back.
per person we are one of the most productive countries in the world. While some countries beat us with oil wealth like Saudi Arabia, we own the rest. And we are also one of the most barbaric in dealing with medical care. Before Obamacare I got to watch my mother die from something that in countries with single payer she would have been seen for at a early enough stage that she would have lived.

Quote:
That's where immigration control comes into play. Built that mother bleeping wall and make becoming a legal citizen with a social security number easier.. cut back on all the section 8 and welfare programs and reform them to encourage people to get jobs rather than suck from the system for 10 years, and we might be able to then afford single payer, when we aren't force to pay for illegal aliens to have kids, etc.
This is not the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Case after case?

Really

I'm a Canadian who has lived in the USA for the last 20 years -- I've never ever heard any Canadian say they would choose the American system over Canada. Never have I ever.

Polls over the years have shown an overwhelming majority of Canadians that do not want a privatized system.

I think if anything Canadians would opt for the 'option' of private care -- choices -- but never the elimination of the health care systems that exist in each area.

All of my family is in Canada -- my husband's family is as well.

They don't want our system -- they don't -- trust me on this one.
yes, case after case when it comes to how many I have talked to. I don't mean hundreds by any means. But on 4 different occasions we have been on cruises and sitting at tables with both Canadians and Americans. In all but 2 couples sighted why they would prefer our system. We were also once a few years ago in Canada and watching a public broadcast show. They interviewed 3 couples who were wanting to start families but had been literally waiting months to even be assigned a doctor. None wanted to start families with out a good gp and an OB doctor. I had a friend I used to play bride with. She was from Canada. At the time one of her husbands brothers was going through radiation for prostrate cancer, the same as my husband. This many lived near an urban city but still had to drive over an hour for his treatments. Here and we are border rural my husband was only about 30 minutes from the cancer center. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

and yes, I do know a few who have families in Canada that love their systems. So I do realize their are those who prefer the Canadian health care

Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, case after case when it comes to how many I have talked to. I don't mean hundreds by any means. But on 4 different occasions we have been on cruises and sitting at tables with both Canadians and Americans. In all but 2 couples sighted why they would prefer our system. We were also once a few years ago in Canada and watching a public broadcast show. They interviewed 3 couples who were wanting to start families but had been literally waiting months to even be assigned a doctor. None wanted to start families with out a good gp and an OB doctor. I had a friend I used to play bride with. She was from Canada. At the time one of her husbands brothers was going through radiation for prostrate cancer, the same as my husband. This many lived near an urban city but still had to drive over an hour for his treatments. Here and we are border rural my husband was only about 30 minutes from the cancer center. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

and yes, I do know a few who have families in Canada that love their systems. So I do realize their are those who prefer the Canadian health care
You do realize that your anecdote regarding the travel time for cancer treatment has nothing to do with socialized medicine. There are people in the USA that live over an hour away from the facilities that specialize in some of the care they need -- even close to an urban center.

In both countries the resources are challenged by availability and geography.

Those 3 couples were being over paranoid. I'm 59 -- all my nieces and nephews are just having their babies and none of them have to wait for anything and they don't have to save up to have a baby and then they enjoy a year off to look after that baby.

Cherry picking data and anecdotes -- silly.

That would be like me picking this story as an example of how the American system is

Man found dead in NYC hospital waiting room more than 8 hours after entering
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-fou...-room-8-hours/

Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

How about asking normal people, who don't have the means to go on luxurious cruises?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:08 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Emergency rooms in California have closed down because of illegals flooding them for free care. Legal residents suffer as a result.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,886 times
I am not afraid of socialized medicine, but I have private health insurance and have never had a problem, so I have nothing to compare it to. With the way the government has screwed other things up, I wouldn't trust socialized medicine in this country.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
How about asking normal people, who don't have the means to go on luxurious cruises?
Luxurious cruises ?

It is possible to cruise for $65-75 p/p, per day and sometimes children sailing in their parent's cabin cruise for free. It's also possible to spend $1500+ p/p, per day, sometimes on the same cruise which includes cabin, food, entertainment and transportation to ports of call. Nearly 14 million US and Canadians sailed from North American ports last year.

What makes them abnormal, unworthy of opinion?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Sign up on the White House website to get daily emails. Within the next few weeks there will be announcements on various health related issues. He mentioned it when he signed the Right to Try Act yesterday. The officials in charge of it were there.

This video is worth watching if only to see the adorable little boy with Muscular Dystrophy hugging Trump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKf5s2DKMa0

Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What's your point?

Some US people wait a heck of a lot longer in some ERs in the US. All patients are prioritized.

Some states do not have Level 1 Trauma Centers. Patients in need require airlifting to another state.

Given the now 32 year old EMTLA legislation, US ERs are required to stabilize anyone who comes through the door, regardless of the patient's ability to pay.

Sounds like you want to exclude as many people as possible from accessing healthcare, so you don't incur a wait.

Careful what you wish for. Circumstances in your own life could result in excluding you from healthcare, one day.
I don't wish for exclusions of health care for anyone except for illegal aliens, dreamers and anchor babies.

Don't want to exclude anyone except for illegal aliens and they need legislation that would deny public health coverage for dreamers and anchor babies to save money morally.

There is also a tremendous health crisis going on in America because of what collectively eats and how little it excercises.

I am all for Medicaid and Medicare. Seems like they need to either raise family health insurance premiums or drastically reduce the wages of the higher paid health care workers.

Some of the wages health care workers make these days is extremely high compared to what it was in the past and that is adjusted for inflation.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:03 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Don't want to exclude anyone except for illegal aliens.

There is also a tremendous health crisis going on in America because of what collectively eats and how little it excercises.

I am all for Medicaid and Medicare. Seems like they need to either raise family health insurance premiums or drastically reduce the wages of the higher paid health care workers.

Some of the wages health care workers make these days is extremely high compared to what it was in the past and that is adjusted for inflation.
It's not the health care workers, its the administrative infrastructure to keep all these places open and the infinite paperwork of dealing with insurance companies, all for whom the process just makes them more money.

I don't begrudge a nurse or doctor any of their pay, but administrators and insurance people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies