Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
1. Disingenuous question. Of course not. But I've elected to raise my children where I am, so lucky them! They are a part of a larger system.
If you consent, that's fine. But consenting for others is illogical and immoral. It's not a disingenuous question. The social contract states that an agreement between the ruling State and a newborn is conceived at birth.

Quote:
2. Actually, yes.
Well, you believe in slavery. Makes sense. That's the gist of what I got out of this debate.

Quote:
3. I cannot make an absolute statement. I do believe rape, murder, stealing are wrong. But there are other things that my personal moral code won't allow that I think others have the right to do. Abortion is against my personal moral belief system, but I will fight to preserve a woman's right to choise, and I don't think less of any woman who has had an abortion. Things are more nuanced than any straight yes or no. I'm cool with that.
The abortion scenario isn't about what you personally would do. It's about your right to decide on your own.

I have the right to loan money to others at interest rates via a consensual agreement but I will never do that because I personally believe that practice to be evil.

No one has the right to tell me I can't have the option to loan money at an interest rate. I do...but I won't. Same thing with your abortion scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 07:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you consent, that's fine. But consenting for others is illogical and immoral. It's not a disingenuous question. The social contract states that an agreement between the ruling State and a newborn is conceived at birth.

Well, you believe in slavery. Makes sense. That's the gist of what I got out of this debate.

The abortion scenario isn't about what you personally would do. It's about your right to decide on your own.

I have the right to loan money to others at interest rates via a consensual agreement but I will never do that because I personally believe that practice to be evil.

No one has the right to tell me I can't have the option to loan money at an interest rate. I do...but I won't. Same thing with your abortion scenario.
You can punch all you want, the same holes exist in your philosophy. Why do you even care what my answers are if you're so sure if yourself? I think you sound like a rambling madman, but who cares?

Wanna know what I think the real truth is? We're both right. We're both wrong. There is no absolute. There are belief systems. There are philosophies. There are traditions & habits. Cultural practices. And they are, every one of them, artificial constructs. Anything you or I think is an idea, a theory, an attempt to make sense of things. There is nothing over & above anything else. And we, individually and in our affiliated groups, find what makes sense.

But don't go saying things like I believe in slavery. I dont, and it's insulting. Hold your beliefs. Argue for your views. But don't stoop to that. It's childish. I'm not some 18yo who doesn't know any better. I've had half a century to form my beliefs. I'm good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies