Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are caught smoking pot in SFL. they still give you a ticket, which I assume includes running the ID, as it does with traffic tickets. So, they still get the bail jumpers etc.
Which is, of course, a terrible reason to support prohibition.

At least with traffic tickets they are punishing you for doing something that has the potential to hurt others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 02:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Which is, of course, a terrible reason to support prohibition.

What is the reason?

Old 06-01-2018, 03:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Love how we have so many people not from NY telling us who and how people smoke weed here. Just last week there were 2 hippies in the middle of midtown handing out business cards telling people it was for a medical marijuana provider. I want a prescription, so I asked if they were recommending a doctor I couldk get one from.
They said you don't need a prescription for their stuff.
So you literally had 2 white peopel (guy and girl) in Midtown in broad daylight advertising and handing out business cards for their illegal marijuana delivery service.
Their brownies are Fiya!!
Theres alot of people that either were living under a rock, or forgot about Guilianis "stop and frisk" program that had to be stopped because the cops were targeting minorities that actually werent doing anything wrong. Not to mention it wasnt working. Meanwhile there were plenty of whites with drugs on them that were skipping down the sidewalks unmolested in SOHO.

https://www.nyclu.org/en/stop-and-frisk-data

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonob.../#5737ea4a6703
Quote:
Does this mean the threat of stop-and-frisk in the areas of heightened activity dissuaded the carrying of weapons or does it mean the police presence was in the wrong spots, targeting the wrong people? Your reading probably depends on your opinion to begin with, but as far as the spots and people targeted, the data is much more clear -- race is undeniably a factor.
So the Manhattans DA office is kinda trying to further stop the practice and habits of unnecessary disparate arrests, theres a long history of it its still happening.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:29 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Theres alot of people that either were living under a rock, or forgot about Guilianis "stop and frisk" program that had to be stopped because the cops were targeting minorities that actually werent doing anything wrong. Not to mention it wasnt working. Meanwhile there were plenty of whites with drugs on them that were skipping down the sidewalks unmolested in SOHO.

https://www.nyclu.org/en/stop-and-frisk-data

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonob.../#5737ea4a6703

So the Manhattans DA office is kinda trying to further stop the practice and habits of unnecessary disparate arrests, theres a long history of it its still happening.
I actually had written about Stop and Frisk in my response, and then deleted it when I realized that a large percentage of this forum loved that policy, claims it was unconstitutional to ban it, and thinks it was completely fair. Did not want this thread to devolve into racists reminiscing about the good old days when minorities were searched simply because they were guilty of not being white.

With no more stop and frisk, and no more bs marijuana charges, what do you expect that the next tactic will be? I think we're going to start hearing a lot more that minority suspects 'fit the description.'

Old 06-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

What is the reason?
Ha! You tell me. You're the prohibitionist.

On the other hand, I can fill the page with reasons why prohibition is bad, costing us more than ever, and creating more problems than it is solving. You know this is true, I've had to fill the page before with these reasons in response to more than one of your posts.

On the third hand, if you are trying to say that catching bail jumpers is a good reason to keep prohibition in effect, then you are beyond hope on this issue.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Good.
I hate drugs and druggies, but jailing these people is a waste of time, is not a fitting punishment, and serves no purpose.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 PM

35,079 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I actually had written about Stop and Frisk in my response, and then deleted it when I realized that a large percentage of this forum loved that policy, claims it was unconstitutional to ban it, and thinks it was completely fair. Did not want this thread to devolve into racists reminiscing about the good old days when minorities were searched simply because they were guilty of not being white.

With no more stop and frisk, and no more bs marijuana charges, what do you expect that the next tactic will be? I think we're going to start hearing a lot more that minority suspects 'fit the description.'
The police need "reasonable suspicion" for stop and frisk. Being a person of color is not enough.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The police need "reasonable suspicion" for stop and frisk. Being a person of color is not enough.
For some reason, I thought that wasn't true in NYC. They can stop and frisk for absolutely no reason at all.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose it's moot anyway, because the police can make up anything they want for the "reasonable suspicion".

Old 06-01-2018, 07:08 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good.
I hate drugs and druggies, but jailing these people is a waste of time, is not a fitting punishment, and serves no purpose.

Oh I don't know.

Last week was walking from Lexington Avenue west along East 61st when came upon two minority teens sitting on a tree bed stone fence Ziploc bag of weed, rolling papers and clip. This in broad daylight and without shame or fear. Indeed you cannot get away from weed smoke in NYC these days which is far more annoying than that of tobacco IMHO.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
It’s simple - applying laws to minorities is racist because they are either incapable of or unwilling to follow the rules of civil society. In order not to be shown up as being totally pandering and coddling and encouraging minorities to live in degenerate conditions that are unproductive and harmful to themselves as well as society , the rules must be abolished and standards of acceptable conduct eliminated so that the entire society becomes degenerate.

I call this effect, driven by PC progressivism and the charades of social justice and disparate impact theories , the tragedy of the multicultural commons: any Balkanized society can only be as virtuous as it’s most degenerate minority population.

Sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies