Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
So where does our steel & aluminum come from then?
Biggest supplier is Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
trump has been incredibly soft on China which is the worst abuser of trade practices in the world. You have to think it is because he needs China to get his Nobel prize and publicity for Korea.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So you're saying that the Washington Post published a yellow journalism hit piece on Donald Trump. Imagine my shock!!

The Washington Post publishes news from time to time, but progressive propaganda all the time.

This bit about him lining his pockets is particularly funny. Do you have an inkling how much damage becoming POTUS has done to his multi-billion dollar worldwide business empire? These nonexistent kickbacks wouldn't offset that cost. Not even close. He'd have made way more money just continuing to run and grow his businesses. Putin and China and the whole of Europe couldn't afford to bribe him.

You can accuse The Donald of many things, but saying that he ran for President to get rich is just idiotic. He was already rich. Stupidly rich. They guy's a loudmouthed prick. I'm all for criticizing him for what he actually is. He is an extremely flawed human being and I doubt I could ever vote for the man. On the other hand, I'm sick of hearing tinfoil hat wearing nitwits accusing him of things he isn't.

I'm willing to sit back and wait on the tariffs and trade deals. Trump is executing the madman strategy. He's playing chicken with economics, going nuclear without blinking. The other countries seem to keep blinking first. If this corrects the many many many unfair trade deals we currently have, then good for him. If it fails miserably, my opinion of Trump will be the same: He's an obnoxious loudmouthed prick who should never have become president.
Well said! <bold> As for the statement "he should never have become President", I would change that to "there never should have been a need for someone like him to become President".

Were it not for the constant parade of lying,self aggrandizing hyper partisan and wholly bought and paid for Presidents before him he would not have been elected as there'd be no need.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:42 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
They're our allies (supposedly). You talk it over with diplomacy rather than resorting to tariffs that'll end up hurting Americans anyway. All it does is continue to damage US rep and paint us as two-faced backstabbers.

We did talk it over diplomatically and they refused to be reasonable.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:43 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
They are not allies when it comes to economics. Everybody is looking out for themselves (as they should) when it comes to business.

With that said, I find it predictably funny that the Leftist Trump haters are now upset that Trump is not putting more tariffs on China. It wasn’t long ago (like just a couple of months ago) that they were slamming Trump for putting tariffs on China steel and solar panels.

Another example of the disingenuousness of the Leftist haters. No matter what he does, they are going to bash him.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Biggest supplier is Canada.

There's not single Canadian owned steel plant in Canada. That's the point.

China, or Brazil, or India, or whoever, builds a plant or drives an existing Canadian plant out of business, then buys it, then sends their products into the US tariff free via NAFTA. That's the point. NAFTA exemption is supposed to be for Canadian and Mexican companies, not Chinese, Brazilian, German, Indian, etc.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nonsense! Trump isn't worth the energy hating saps from you. But unlike many of the bandwagon hoppers here I've thought Trump little but a loud-mouthed con-man for 40 years and that has nothing to do with politics. And he's done nothing to change my opinion of him.

The first part of my solution would be to analyze the entire situation before acting, something Trump continually fails to do with his shoot from the lip methodology. He delights in staging Dog & Pony Shows that have little impact on the situation such as spending million$ to close a runway in Syria for less than 24 hours, hardly a decent ROI IMO.
Ummm, HELLO! It's been analyzed to death by many administrations which means you'd do more of the same crap that hasn't worked for decades.
Real smart that strategy...

Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
1. Trade deficits are not necessarily bad. Ask any economist
2. Sanction any foreign company engaged in intellectual property theft like ZNET. Why did Trump back down on ZNET?

Why don't you and I start trading then? Send me your PayPal info. We'll both start with $10,000. You send me $1,000. I'll send you back $700. You send me $1,000, I'll send you back $700. You'll love this arrangement, ask any economist.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They are not allies when it comes to economics. Everybody is looking out for themselves (as they should) when it comes to business.

With that said, I find it predictably funny that the Leftist Trump haters are now upset that Trump is not putting more tariffs on China. It wasn’t long ago (like just a couple of months ago) that they were slamming Trump for putting tariffs on China steel and solar panels.

Another example of the disingenuousness of the Leftist haters. No matter what he does, they are going to bash him.
In the case of steel he can go ahead but it is largely ineffectual because we don't get much steel from China. In the case of solar panels while it will help the small number of solar panels manufacturers in America it is likely to negatively affect the much larger solar installation market.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:50 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Why don't you and I start trading then? Send me your PayPal info. We'll both start with $10,000. You send me $1,000. I'll send you back $700. You send me $1,000, I'll send you back $700. You'll love this arrangement, ask any economist.

well that's clearly the same thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies