Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is with this idea that primo marketing targets are teens anyway? They don't have disposable incomes.

This has been said twice in the thread... and it completely wrong. Kids have their Parents income to dispose of, and they do that like it's instinct.

Are you thinking that the advertising is for high profit, big ticket items? It's not, the profits are a few cents on Cheap things that any kid can wheedle their parents into buying. Which is beside the point, FB gets it's money from selling DATA, not products. A data point, be it a 6y/o a 16y/o or a 60y/o, is still a data point and worth money to someone.

As for dinosaurs.... *waves* I had FB for a week or two in 2008 before deleting it, never did MySpace, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or any of the rest. I don't need another addiction, I'm good with the ones I've already got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 05:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
What teenager wouldn't want their grandma saying, "I just saw your Mom post a LOVELY photo of you with a droopy diaper on Facebook! When are you going to invite me to be your FRIEND??"
So parents have killed Facebook? Yay, that’s great as it is an over rated platform that is nothing more than a liberal, info sharing ad company!

Twitter is much better.

Fake book is nothing more than what other want you to see. From sad stories that are really sad to people trying to get money for looking sad and asking to go to their go fund me page and people who try to live and show the fake life while being on anti depressants.

How many times I have seen beautiful pics from friends and telling them how great their vacation looked and hearing that in reality they didn’t have a good time.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:42 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
Maybe but I think when they get older, facebook may play a role in their lives when people move away, get married, have kids and don't see all their friends and family all the time like they do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The pace of technology these days is such that teenagers view FB as an "old people" platform. It's the cassette deck of social media, maybe even the 8-track.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
I don't get it that folks post just about everything about their personal lives on some internet site. Including pictures. Birthdays, etc. I guess I am a dinosaur.

Some are concerned that the government invades privacy of all. My concern is Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. I know folks that have Alexa and/or Google Home box. One was just in the news lately that home conversations were recorded and played by "mistake".

Everyone's emails, texts, etc. are saved someplace. Even your Google searches are saved. Don't ever Google Eye Sis or use the word b omb in any email or search.

How much hacking does it take to listen in to your neighbors who have one of these voice boxes at home?

Of course if you lead a good Christian (name your religion) life - what do you have to worry about?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Told you so; the thing has peaked for the youngsters, they've moved on.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/06...vey-finds.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/31/1...erred-platform

Teenagers Are Dropping FaceBook

OLD news. Many of us have known it for quite while now.

Besides, who cares?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Peaked is likely true but I rather doubt there is a demise coming any time soon.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:58 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I don't get it that folks post just about everything about their personal lives on some internet site. Including pictures. Birthdays, etc. I guess I am a dinosaur.

Some are concerned that the government invades privacy of all. My concern is Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. I know folks that have Alexa and/or Google Home box. One was just in the news lately that home conversations were recorded and played by "mistake".

Everyone's emails, texts, etc. are saved someplace. Even your Google searches are saved. Don't ever Google Eye Sis or use the word b omb in any email or search.

How much hacking does it take to listen in to your neighbors who have one of these voice boxes at home?

Of course if you lead a good Christian (name your religion) life - what do you have to worry about?
LOL when they talk of that I hope they dont fall asleep reading all about me. Anyone reading my stuff has to be like, "Dayummm he is boring."

Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So parents have killed Facebook? Yay, that’s great as it is an over rated platform that is nothing more than a liberal, info sharing ad company!

Twitter is much better.

Fake book is nothing more than what other want you to see. From sad stories that are really sad to people trying to get money for looking sad and asking to go to their go fund me page and people who try to live and show the fake life while being on anti depressants.

How many times I have seen beautiful pics from friends and telling them how great their vacation looked and hearing that in reality they didn’t have a good time.
I don't complain about every little thing in real life. I don't air my dirty laundry in real life. Why should I do it online?

Old 06-01-2018, 07:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I saw this coming years ago, nothing stays popular with younger people for too long.

FB is mainly old folks who like to cruise down memory lane frequently, I have to admit, at first it was cool to re-connect with people you went to high school with or friends you had years ago, see what they are doing today, what they have done with their life, how they have failed or succeeded, etc etc, but even this gets old and boring for gen Xers eventually!

I think its also common knowledge, people ONLY post things to FB, in the way they want to be seen.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:34 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
I don’t know many kids or young adults who use it any more. I do however know many people in their 40’s and up who use it. Most of the older people I know who use Facebook, do so to keep in touch with classsmates, friends, join social groups.

I personally can’t get into social media (other than Instagram and that’s to share photos with family). I feel it’s mostly just politics any way isn’t it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies