Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bush created a huge program to spend my money by bailing out failing banks. Did I get a say?
Actually, that was Obama and a Dem Congress. Signed into law by Obama on February 17, 2009.

Additionally, the bank bailout was a mere pittance compared to the $2 trillion spent to bailout Fannie and Freddie.

Here's what I'm talking about, complete with links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 11:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
What a ridiculous question, I already pay for the wars with my taxes and I pay plenty, how about you? and who says I like us being at war, just maybe if diplomacy was tried more often then we would not have to go to war, Trump is off to a good start, I hope we end up with peace with NK.

The biggest problem with dem politicians is that they are great at spending other peoples money, let them spend their own and see how quickly they change their tune. If all politicians salaries were based on a balanced budget, then things would change very quickly.
Well, the US is in debt thanks to the endless wars.

Since adding to the national debt is out of the question when considering how to budget universal healthcare, the same standard should apply to all the wars.

So how much are YOU really willing to pay for them?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:08 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Took the words right out of mouth.
What about all the people that don’t work? Where does their contribution magically come from ? Btw did you know that Medicare actually costs around $10k/person/yr?

So yah you can redirect 400/month for ONE insured but then you ALSO need to pay another 400/month PLUS you need to pay the Medicare premiums AND the Part B and such things.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
The most striking fact about the cost of the war in Iraq has been the extent to which it has been kept "off the books" of the government's ledgers and hidden from the American people. This was done by design. A fundamental assumption of the Bush administration's approach to the war was that it was only politically sustainable if it was portrayed as near-costless to the American public and to key constituencies in Washington. The dirty little secret of the Iraq war – one that both Bush and the war hawks in the Democratic party knew, but would never admit – was that the American people would only support a war to get rid of Saddam Hussein if they could be assured that they would pay almost nothing for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-cost-iraq-war

Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What about all the people that don’t work? Where does their contribution magically come from ? Btw did you know that Medicare actually costs around $10k/person/yr?

So yah you can redirect 400/month for ONE insured but then you ALSO need to pay another 400/month PLUS you need to pay the Medicare premiums AND the Part B and such things.
There are very few people that never work. We are told that unemployment is at record lows which means nearly everyone is working. No?

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, the US is in debt thanks to the endless wars.
Actually, federal spending on the myriad public assistance programs has driven the national debt much higher than DoD spending.

I've already suggested that the best way to pay for both wars and public assistance programs is via a voluntary contribution program. It lets people put their money where their mouths are. If there's not enough collective interest to adequately fund neither wars nor public assistance programs, then we don't have them.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 06-09-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Single payer system works better and is cheaper.

"Total costs are lower under single-payer systems for several reasons. One is that administrative costs average only about 2 percent of total expenses under a single-payer program like Medicare, less than one-sixth the corresponding percentage for many private insurers. Single-payer systems also spend virtually nothing on competitive advertising, which can account for more than 15 percent of total expenses for private insurers.
The most important source of cost savings under single-payer is that large government entities are able to negotiate much more favorable terms with service providers. In 2012, for example, the average cost of coronary bypass surgery was more than $73,000 in the United States but less than $23,000 in France."

LINK
Sometimes I wonder if Americans like being screwed over.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've already suggested that the best way to pay for both wars and public assistance programs is via a voluntary contribution program. It Lets people put their money where their mouths are. If there's not enough collective interest to adequately fund neither wars nor public assistance programs, then we don't have them.
I've always been all for that...which means it'll never happen. lol

Old 06-09-2018, 11:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
The most striking fact about the cost of the war in Iraq has been the extent to which it has been kept "off the books" of the government's ledgers and hidden from the American people. This was done by design. A fundamental assumption of the Bush administration's approach to the war was that it was only politically sustainable if it was portrayed as near-costless to the American public and to key constituencies in Washington. The dirty little secret of the Iraq war – one that both Bush and the war hawks in the Democratic party knew, but would never admit – was that the American people would only support a war to get rid of Saddam Hussein if they could be assured that they would pay almost nothing for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-cost-iraq-war
The "cakewalk" was going to cost $60 billion and be paid for with Iraq`s war revenues.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,256,626 times
Quote:
Bush created a huge program to spend my money by bailing out failing banks. Did I get a say?
Neither did I and I did not vote for him or his policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies