Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 PM

29,624 posts, read 16,607,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
You don't understand gradualism. That's how it starts. That's how they're selling the idea.
You seem to be the only one here selling an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,208,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I watched it, and you are right on target. It does not in any way excuse the sexual abuse of children. Rather, it argues that pedophiles who are able to speak openly to someone (a close friend or a counselor, for example) about their orientation without fear of being ostracized are actually less likely to act upon it and seek treatment instead.

There is no known documented case of a pedophile being "cured," and pedophiles in treatment still commit crimes against small children.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 PM

1,348 posts, read 794,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
LOL, good grief, please try harder to comprehend the idea being put forth and to extend your thinking.
It will utterly change your life once you start to do that.

(I am totally sure I could sell the Brooklyn Bridge to alot of commenters here; several times over, in fact. So much innocence.)

Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Quote:
This is all rationalizing pedophilia even though that may not be your intention.

The notion that attraction to prepubescent children is just an alternate sexual orientation like gay and strait and that age is a social construct arbitrarily defined by society are both rhetorical tactics that people use in an effort to normalize pedophilia.

That's a slippery slope that we shouldn't ever go down. Period.
Generally speaking, a girl was considered ready at the onset of puberty which can be as early as age 9 in some places. Remember, the concept of childhood is a modern construct.

Prepubescent sex was often considered permissible with slaves or offspring of debtors.

In other words, a daughter was treated as livestock.

I believe those sexually attracted to prepubescent children are sick and cannot be cured. They can however,choose to not act on their impulses.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,779,929 times
Quote:
This is actually happening. TED talks is giving this legitimacy. The crowd even applauded her. Slowly but surely people are trying to normalize pedophilia as a sexual orientation on the same level as homosexuality.
There was a hint of an "oh those poor pedophiles" vibe in that talk, but overall it wasn't that bad. Basically she's arguing for a more realistic approach to the problem, and she was very clear that sex with children should never be accepted.

Some guys like other men in a sexual way, and some like kids. That's the way they are and nobody really knows (yet) how to change them. Those are just the facts. Acknowledging them doesn't necessarily mean accepting the kind of sex they desire as normal, and there's no reason why each type of deviancy should be treated the same by society. One danger I see is that the current nonsensical taboo against attempts to convert homosexuals could be extended to pedophiles. Given free reign to do the research, doctors should eventually find effective treatments.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 PM

16,686 posts, read 8,682,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Wrong

Read my post #25 to see I also said the same thing, just in a different vernacular.

`

Old 06-18-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There was a hint of an "oh those poor pedophiles" vibe in that talk, but overall it wasn't that bad. Basically she's arguing for a more realistic approach to the problem, and she was very clear that sex with children should never be accepted.

Some guys like other men in a sexual way, and some like kids. That's the way they are and nobody really knows (yet) how to change them. Those are just the facts. Acknowledging them doesn't necessarily mean accepting the kind of sex they desire as normal, and there's no reason why each type of deviancy should be treated the same by society. One danger I see is that the current nonsensical taboo against attempts to convert homosexuals could be extended to pedophiles. Given free reign to do the research, doctors should eventually find effective treatments.
Sigh..... better reading comprehension needed.
Here, I'll help. It's called: conditioning. It is not new and once you begin to recognize it, you'll notice it frequently.
It's very much part of the era we live in and occurs regularly.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:26 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,779,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Sigh..... better reading comprehension needed.
Here, I'll help. It's called: conditioning. It is not new and once you begin to recognize it, you'll notice it frequently.
It's very much part of the era we live in and occurs regularly.
For you, looks like it's called: conspiracy.

But I see little evidence of a plot to normalize sex with children. If anything the trend is in the opposite direction with the #metoo crowd demonizing men for trying to have sex with younger women who are increasingly far beyond the age of consent. Even women in their mid-20s are now considered too young for an older man to hit on.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
For you, looks like it's called: conspiracy.

But I see little evidence of a plot to normalize sex with children. If anything the trend is in the opposite direction with the #metoo crowd demonizing men for trying to have sex with younger women who are increasingly far beyond the age of consent. Even women in their mid-20s are now considered too young for an older man to hit on.
Are you still in Japan? Have you lived there a long time?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:34 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,605,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There is no known documented case of a pedophile being "cured," and pedophiles in treatment still commit crimes against small children.
Nobody said anything about a cure, and even treatment is probably not a good term. Perhaps coping would be a better one: seeking help in resisting impulses one knows are wrong. That's pretty much what I got out of the talk, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies