Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:34 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times

Advertisements

Seems to me the Supreme Court just upheld a business owners right to refuse service to gays. Is this that much different?

Old 06-24-2018, 04:49 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,060 times
Keep your powder dry, I can't wait for it!

Old 06-24-2018, 04:50 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
A business should have the right to refuse service to anyone they want - but they also have to then accept the consequences of their actions. Those offended employees may very well find themselves standing in the Unemployment line in a few months.

VMI is in Lexington as well as Washington and Lee University - my son was accepted at VMI and toured the campus. The town is very small and depends a lot on tourism and the business of those parents whose children attend VMI and Washington and Lee - both pretty conservative universities.

As stated above - I wasn't thrilled with the previous administration but if I had a business - it's business - suck it up and service all customers whether you agree with their political affiliation or not - in a society as divided as ours - taking a stand and putting your livelihood at risk is really stupid. Besides the fact - many Democrats have posted to their Facebook page and feel the owner's decision decision reflects poorly on the rest of us in the party and does nothing but alienate the other side even further.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Seems to me the Supreme Court just upheld a business owners right to refuse service to gays. Is this that much different?
Not at all. The owner came to the restaurant after getting a call about Sanders being there. The owner asked her staff how they felt about serving her. She has many gays on her staff and they said given the WH stance on gays in the bakery lawsuit, they did not want to continue to serve her. The owner spoke to Sanders in private explaining how the staff felt. She comped the table of 7 for their drinks and appetizers.

The owner handled this well. More Americans need to stand up to the policies of this administration when they can. Most of us can't as we are unlikely to run into them. But we must cheer those who do this for us.

Appeasement is never the answer, just ask France.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:59 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
If that is truly the case - she did handle it well although I feel it was a poor decision. Then the question is raised as to how the media got hold of it and twist it with the liberal slant.

The owner is going to regret this in the end as it's put a bad name on her business.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:59 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Why do y'all feel it's okay to deny services to paying customers, as you've noted Sanders would have been and as gay couples would be, because of religious beliefs but not due to moral/ethical beliefs? Where does one end and the other begin? They are closely entwined as far as I can see. Some of us may not be members of a typical organized religion, but we have our own spiritual protocol. Although the most vocal Americans say that this is a Christian nation, it really isn't anymore and our nation was founded on religious/spiritual freedom, although admittedly the religious options were much less back then. So why shouldn't we be allowed to practice our religion, even if it's something like Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or humanism?

In an ideal world, we would respect, honor, and serve each other, regardless of our differences. We can't go back and rewrite history where blacks weren't served at lunch counters and Jews couldn't join country clubs. But a better world would be where gay couples could go into the bakery of their choice for a wedding cake and Sarah Sanders could order soup in the restaurant of her choice, even if the restaurant owner didn't vote for her boss and hates all or most everything he does. The only exception to respecting, honoring, and serving others would be if they were causing harm to someone else at that moment while they were being served or doing something illegal. Thus someone shouldn't be served in a restaurant if they were insisting that they couldn't eat without burning incense since that could cause someone to have an asthmatic attack and interfere with the diners enjoying the taste and smell of their food or blast their own music in the restaurant.

Which side is going to set the standard for this respect, honor, and service? We can't keep going on like this. It's destroying us as a nation. Our collective and individual souls are hurting. It's like the saying "Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?" I understand that some people think they can only be happy if they are right and other people acknowledge they are right, but truly it is possible to be content without always being right and getting your way because you are "right" (at least in your own mind). I'm trying to minimize the politics in this since it obviously comes from both sides, but it does seem like the ones in power (regardless of who/which party is in the White House or Congress) should be the standard bearers for a kinder nation.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,299,469 times
While it was nasty to throw out her family from a dinner I think its a good thing. It shows the nation just how intolerant the left is. The left thinks this is fantastic. In the meantime it just hardens the support of Trump. Keep it up liberals. You are the gift that just keeps on giving!

Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
If this had happened to someone in the Obama administration, Libs would be doing all kind of physical violence to the Restaurant.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:04 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ms wilkinson, you are going to lose your business as people who wont accept you asking customers to leave your business due to political differences.
This is true. A restaurant's product is perishable and the conditions required to prepare and serve must be sanitary.

Getting into a pissing-match with a customer like Huckabee was a poor decision.

There will be disruptions and activities now that will put customers in danger as well as affect nearby merchants. Too bad.

It's beginning!

Old 06-24-2018, 05:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
If that is truly the case - she did handle it well although I feel it was a poor decision. Then the question is raised as to how the media got hold of it and twist it with the liberal slant.

The owner is going to regret this in the end as it's put a bad name on her business.
Sanders posted a boo-hoo comment on her FB page. As her fellow trumpers would say, she was butt hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies