Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
I am in agreement on all but this........ but I think that the background check should include mental illness. But that brings up a plethora of problems / arguments of it's own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe so, but basically it would be same requirements + mental evaluation which we have today for concealed carry licence.
Chalk up two more people who feel that American society would be safer and more free if government were given the power to decide who can carry a gun and who can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Our Constitution is law. It's who we are as a people, a nation. It shouldn't matter who is sitting on the supreme court. If you don't support and protect our Bill of Rights, which includes our right to bear arms, you are a domestic enemy to the citizens of the United States. No anti-gun judge should be permitted to sit on our supreme court in the first place. Their job is to uphold our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Want another Civil War? Keep pushing to leave us defenseless against criminals and foreigners with guns.

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is someone calling them to review something like that? Why now, and not before? SCOTUS has been conservative majority a long time.
They will. And it hasn't been attempted before as there were an insufficient number of SCOTUS Justices who actually complied with their Oath of Office to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and Domestic."

SCOTUS Justices' job is to uphold the Constitution, not to rewrite it or even "legislate from the bench" in a manner that violates Constitutional Rights. That's why it's so important to seat more Constitutionalist Justices at SCOTUS. Many conservatives, libertarians, and independents have been disappointed that some supposedly conservative Justices have not been Constitutionalists. There is hope that such will change.

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Constitutionalist SCOTUS Justices are already beginning to restore our Constitutional Rights (the recent rulings). Why would adding another Constitutionalist Judge to SCOTUS be a problem? Would you rather we continue to have our Constitutional Rights chipped away or even not have any Constitutional Rights at all?

I don't understand why you or anyone else would think moving away from the semi-fascist country we've devolved into over the past 40-50 years is a bad thing.
Which recent rulings? I can't read your mind. What Constitutional rights are being chipped away and how has this turned the country 'semi-fascist?'

Old 06-28-2018, 08:54 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's what the Constitutional Amendment process is for. Want to modify a Constitutional Right? Start the Constitutionally prescribed Amendment ratification process.

Examples:

19th Amendment
26th Amendment
I think some amendment to the gun issue is necessary. I wish I was smart enough to produce an amendment that makes sense for all, but I don't. I may not like guns, but I believe in the rights of others to own them. I don't know about guns to know what would be considered "assault" that no one really needs outside of competitive reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The reasons why every law-abiding adult should be free to own and carry a gun if he wants to (most still won't bother), are no different today than they were in George Washington's time.

That's true for most items in the Constitution, actually. The argument that "but... but... it's hundreds of years old!" is a false one. It's just as important that government have checks and balances now as it was then. Just as important that two houses of Congress with differing (and sometimes conflicting) loyalties have veto power over any bill, so they will only pass bills that both can agree on. Just as important that the civilian President be the Commander in Chief of the armed services. Just as important that the Fed govt be restricted only to powers that states and lower government CANNOT handle, and forbidden the rest. These things, and others like them, form the backbone of the Constitution, and have since 1789. Some have been amended out (17th), and our country is weaker for them.

If anything, the right of the people to keep and bear arms is even more needed today than it was back then. Criminals are much more coddled today than George Washington would ever dream of, and would roll in his grave if he knew. And government is much more abusive of people's rights, with legislative means of holding them in check diminishing daily... leaving just one other means.
If what you are saying is true about criminal coddling making the needs to carry even more important, that in itself shows such a glaring problem in society in general. We'll have vigilante justice on every street corner - at least that's what the far left wants you to believe. Let's have an annual purge (yeah, just a movie).

Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
Chalk up two more people who feel that American society would be safer and more free if government were given the power to decide who can carry a gun and who can't.
You are mistaken........... I would be more than happy to compare my commitments to gun rights and activism over the past 50 years to anybodies.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Which recent rulings? I can't read your mind. What Constitutional rights are being chipped away and how has this turned the country 'semi-fascist?'
Try buying an incandescent light bulb for your house, and see how far you get (ooh, that's important! ). Or draining and plowing over a mud puddle on your farm. Or buying a gun and bringing it home immediately, despite your need for it being immediate. Just to mention a few obvious ones. Or earning money without seeing a large part of it taken from you and handed to someone else who did nothing to deserve it. There are MANY more... as you well know.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Our Constitution is law. It's who we are as a people, a nation. It shouldn't matter who is sitting on the supreme court. If you don't support and protect our Bill of Rights, which includes our right to bear arms, you are a domestic enemy to the citizens of the United States. No anti-gun judge should be permitted to sit on our supreme court in the first place. Their job is to uphold our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Want another Civil War? Keep pushing to leave us defenseless against criminals and foreigners with guns.
Our uninfringeable Constitutional Right to bear arms. And, yes, exactly so to the text I bolded.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
You are mistaken........... I would be more than happy to compare my commitments to gun rights and activism over the past 50 years to anybodies.
You just called for a background check... meaning that under certain circumstances (and government will decide what those circumstance are), that government will violate your right to keep and bear arms. I'm not the one who made that mistake.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
You just called for a background check... meaning that under certain circumstances (and government will decide what those circumstance are), that government will violate your right to keep and bear arms. I'm not the one who made that mistake.
Not a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies