Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:45 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Straws don't make up much plastic waste but plastic utensils sure do. How about styrofoam cups? My wife and I got coffee at Dunkins yesterday. I got a small and when I got home the cardboard cup and plastic lid went into the recycling bins. She got a medium so the plastic lid went into the recycling but the styrofoam cup went into the trash.

Many places in Europe serve even fast food on real plates with real silverware and tea and coffee are served in a real cup.

You drink your coffee and go on your way. Very few people walk around holding their coffees like here in America.

The straw and plastic bag bans seem like a PC drop in the bucket of a much larger problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Straws don't make up much plastic waste but plastic utensils sure do. How about styrofoam cups? My wife and I got coffee at Dunkins yesterday. I got a small and when I got home the cardboard cup and plastic lid went into the recycling bins. She got a medium so the plastic lid went into the recycling but the styrofoam cup went into the trash.

Many places in Europe serve even fast food on real plates with real silverware and tea and coffee are served in a real cup.

You drink your coffee and go on your way. Very few people walk around holding their coffees like here in America.

The straw and plastic bag bans seem like a PC drop in the bucket of a much larger problem.
I don't understand that either. Why do Americans always have to have a to-go cup in hand? Are we that parched all the time? It's really nice to take ten to fifteen minutes to have a cup of coffee in a real mug.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't understand that either. Why do Americans always have to have a to-go cup in hand? Are we that parched all the time? It's really nice to take ten to fifteen minutes to have a cup of coffee in a real mug.
I sit and drink coffee from a real mug almost every morning at my local truck stop. A full breakfast and coffee is about $5. No way I would run around and drink it. Real food, not fast food.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:27 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
As in many government bans, this one is beyond silly. Maybe that's why some people support straw bans. It follows the old rule "tell a lie big enough and often enough and people will believe it"...
You can always count on conservatives to promote the freedom to pollute. Like their opposition to the ban on plastic six-pack rings, I'll never understand why conservatives are so misguided when it comes to protecting our environment. Why not take steps to help reduce the eight metric tons of plastic that ends up in the ocean every single year?

But you're so right about repeating a lie until the simple minded accept it without question. The most recent example, "Witch hunt"...

Old 07-27-2018, 12:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I sit and drink coffee from a real mug almost every morning at my local truck stop. A full breakfast and coffee is about $5. No way I would run around and drink it. Real food, not fast food.
Isn't it nice to drink coffee or tea from a real mug while enjoying the company of others? The mugs at our local coffee shop have been there for several years, and for the longest time, my daughter and I were the only people who requested them. Recently, though, others have started using them. I don't know what changed, but I consider it a good thing.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:43 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Isn't it nice to drink coffee or tea from a real mug while enjoying the company of others? The mugs at our local coffee shop have been there for several years, and for the longest time, my daughter and I were the only people who requested them. Recently, though, others have started using them. I don't know what changed, but I consider it a good thing.
You have to request "to go" cups at the truck stop. Very few do.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:14 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
For me, straws are an example of mostly unnecessary single-use plastic consumption and every time I turn down a straw, I also think about requesting a real glass or mug and sitting down for a few minutes to enjoy my drink rather than taking it to go. It inspires me to consider other ways that I can reduce my consumption of single-use plastic when I go to the grocery store by taking my own basket or bag and filling it with non-packaged foods, which is better for my health. The straw conversation begins a cascade of better decisions about how best to consume that which is necessary in my daily life.
Bingo.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:20 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Heh. A couple of years ago, I traveled to Amsterdam to set up a new office for the US company that employed me. There were no dispensable utensils in the kitchenette. Instead, there were ceramic mugs, proper knives and forks, and a dishwasher. People dropped off their mugs in the dishwasher at the end of the day, the cleaning crew ran it, end of story.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:24 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I agree that Trump is destroying the country and that includes environmental laws. However Seattle is as blue as it gets. Trump got only 8% of the vote and Seattle is the one that passed the law against plastic straws. Paper straws are perfectly fine. Seattle has a vested interest in protecting its waters and environment. I don't see Seattle outlawing plastic straws in the south. They can go ahead and destroy their waters all they want and already do.
So Trump is "destroying the country?" Another thing blown out of proportion by a leftist.

Quote:
P.S. Thank you for spelling "moot" correctly; it's so rare.
Yes, nice to see words spelled correctly. That one, along with "a lot" (not "alot") and the dollar sign ($10, not 10$).

Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
We are doomed. A nine year old started this.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...day/750563002/
Send him to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies