Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How would someone know a customer is a trump supporter? I guess they could assume someone is Muslim if they are wearing a hajib but how would they know if they aren’t?

Three black interns were denied a ride by a Lyft driver when he noticed a maga cap in the hand of one of the passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 10:34 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Three black interns were denied a ride by a Lyft driver when he noticed a maga cap in the hand of one of the passengers.
That is how you could know, but unless you are banning everyone who is a trump supporter (and how would you even know) then really you are just banning the outward appearance of support aka the maga itself rather than the belief.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
All businesses are free to refuse service to anyone they chose, they do not have to answer or explain to anyone why they refused either.

I used to have a very racist boss at a pizza place I managed, he would not hire any black person no matter how experienced they were...but to anyone asking, he would give another reason why they were not hired, not a good fit, not qualified, over qualified, etc. no one forcing him to be honest about why he didnt hire someone.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Religion is a protected class in the US under Federal Law.

Whereas trump supporters have no class at all

Old 07-14-2018, 10:36 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hmmm should emergency room personnel be able to refuse to treat someone who is Muslim or a trump supporter?
No, because that is unfair discrimination in both cases.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:38 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
All businesses are free to refuse service to anyone they chose, they do not have to answer or explain to anyone why they refused either.
What about doctors, nurses or paramedics? Are they allowed to refuse service?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:38 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
You’re taking some minor instances of Trump supporters being banned from business and extrapolating this into some kind of major problem. Sarah Huckabee was one of those rare occurrences where a highly visible person in the media was asked to leave a restaurant. Muslims? Now you’re showing your true colors as a religious bigot. You seem to suggest that certain non Christian people of faith deserve not to be served by business.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Just on a practical level, it makes no sense to compare consumers and business owners. The business owner is dealing with the limited world of people who come into that business. Consumers are dealing with the entire world of businesses out there. Are consumers supposed to only go one time to any business, so that they keep trying different ones each time, regardless of location, price or even the goods or services offered?

Or said differently, do I have to go to restaurants that serve food I don't care for or that charge $100 for an entree when I have $10 to spend or drive past the 100 closest restaurants so I'm not "discriminating" against the ones further away? This isn't remotely the same as someone walking into a restaurant and being told oh, we only serve that dish to other people, you don't get to get it because of whatever characteristic they want to apply.

And yes, it means that the restaurant that refused service to Sarah Sanders would not be allowed to do that - but neither would the baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. But if the latter is allowed, then there isn't a logical basis for say the former is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I was thinking about the absurdity of this comparison last night. Thank you for articulating it better than I would have.
This lie can be repeated a thousand times and it is no more true than the first time it was said. The owners of the bakery did NOT refuse to sell their product to said homosexuals. They were not going to bake and decorate a WEDDING cake which is against their religious beliefs for two people of the same sex to partake in. The couple was welcome to purchase anything else in the bakery. So your analogy is incorrect.

Sara was refused service because she works for President Trump. She was served appetizers before the ower arrived to tell her to leave.
I am of the belief than any owner of a private business should be allowed to tell anyone that they don't want to serve to leave except for black people if it is because they are black. That is where I draw the line.
That said, I would, if I were a business owner, I would not ask someone to leave if they were gay, straight, black, white, hispanic, liberal, conservative etc, unless they were disrupting the patrons in my shop with either behavior attributed to their beliefs or just because they are rude people.

There is going to be backlash if a business owner refuses service whether they reserve that right or not. It's just the way it is.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I used to have a very racist boss at a pizza place I managed, he would not hire any black person no matter how experienced they were...but to anyone asking, he would give another reason why they were not hired, not a good fit, not qualified, over qualified, etc. no one forcing him to be honest about why he didnt hire someone.
Someone should have sued your boss.

This is the law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_group

Quote:
A protected group or protected class is a group of people qualified for special protection by a law, policy, or similar authority. In the United States, the term is frequently used in connection with employees and employment.

Where discrimination on the basis of protected group status is concerned, a single act of discrimination may be based on membership in more than one protected group. For example, discrimination based on antisemitism may relate to religion, national origin, or both; discrimination against a pregnant woman might be based on sex, marital status, or both.[1]

U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008). Many state laws also give certain protected groups special protection against harassment and discrimination, as do many employer policies. Although it is not required by federal law, employer policies may also protect employees from harassment or discrimination based on marital status or sexual orientation.[1]

Old 07-14-2018, 10:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You really just don't get it, do you? I mean, nothing I asked even slightly penetrated that cranium of yours, did it?
It was a silly question and I gave the answer one is a religion that is a protected class and the other is not. Let that penetrate your skull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies