Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:48 PM

1,261 posts, read 568,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I believe religion is a protected class but political ideology isn't.

How would you feel if a business decided to ban Christians? You can bet City-Data would be blowing up with anger and rage.
If Christians were banned, that means majority will be banned; therefore, business will shut down.
Silly comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 03:50 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I believe religion is a protected class but political ideology isn't.

How would you feel if a business decided to ban Christians? You can bet City-Data would be blowing up with anger and rage.
There should be no "protected classes."

It doesn't matter how I, or anyone else, feels about it--except that business owner. The right to discriminate is a human right.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM

989 posts, read 770,326 times
Muslims are on the whole better educated, less adversarial, less bigoted, less likely disrupt things and upset other patrons etc.....

Old 07-14-2018, 04:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
If you ban people from shopping at your store, eating at your restaurant etc..because of their political views, their race, religion, their sexul orientation, you deserve to go out of business. I would go out of my way to avoid those places if I knew ahead of time. It's such a shady thing to do.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If you ban people from shopping at your store, eating at your restaurant etc..because of their political views, their race, religion, their sexul orientation, you deserve to go out of business. I would go out of my way to avoid those places if I knew ahead of time. It's such a shady thing to do.
It's called letting the free market work. Capitalism 101.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
This lie can be repeated a thousand times and it is no more true than the first time it was said. The owners of the bakery did NOT refuse to sell their product to said homosexuals. They were not going to bake and decorate a WEDDING cake which is against their religious beliefs for two people of the same sex to partake in. The couple was welcome to purchase anything else in the bakery. So your analogy is incorrect.

Sara was refused service because she works for President Trump. She was served appetizers before the ower arrived to tell her to leave.
I am of the belief than any owner of a private business should be allowed to tell anyone that they don't want to serve to leave except for black people if it is because they are black. That is where I draw the line.
That said, I would, if I were a business owner, I would not ask someone to leave if they were gay, straight, black, white, hispanic, liberal, conservative etc, unless they were disrupting the patrons in my shop with either behavior attributed to their beliefs or just because they are rude people.

There is going to be backlash if a business owner refuses service whether they reserve that right or not. It's just the way it is.
So what if your religious beliefs are that lies are a sin? Ms. Sanders has been shown to lie, can you refuse to serve someone who has demonstrably lied if it is against your religious beliefs to lie?

Old 07-14-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
...can you refuse to serve someone who has demonstrably lied if it is against your religious beliefs to lie?
As a business and/or property owner, it is your right to refuse to serve ANYONE for ANY reason.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:41 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why should there be?

e.g. In your home you're free to let your dog slobber all over your hands, use the toilet without washing, go play in the dirt then prepare your meal and even spit on your food if you choose.
Are you suggesting cooks in commercial establishments should have similar freedom in preparing customers' meals?
I may free to, but I practice good hygiene so I dont get sick or sicken anyone else.You should realize its that same avoidance of making people sick and not guv regs that keeps restaurants in line. No one is free to sicken people.
You are free to discriminate as to where you eat just as the resturant owner should be free to serve who they wish.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 07-14-2018 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 04:44 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Why is it okay for businesses to ban trump supporters, but not Muslims?

Because Muslims are part of the democrat’s party base, and unfortunately democrats control most of what goes on in this country — especially with culture..

Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
This lie can be repeated a thousand times and it is no more true than the first time it was said. The owners of the bakery did NOT refuse to sell their product to said homosexuals. They were not going to bake and decorate a WEDDING cake which is against their religious beliefs for two people of the same sex to partake in. The couple was welcome to purchase anything else in the bakery. So your analogy is incorrect.

Sara was refused service because she works for President Trump. She was served appetizers before the ower arrived to tell her to leave.
I am of the belief than any owner of a private business should be allowed to tell anyone that they don't want to serve to leave except for black people if it is because they are black. That is where I draw the line.
That said, I would, if I were a business owner, I would not ask someone to leave if they were gay, straight, black, white, hispanic, liberal, conservative etc, unless they were disrupting the patrons in my shop with either behavior attributed to their beliefs or just because they are rude people.

There is going to be backlash if a business owner refuses service whether they reserve that right or not. It's just the way it is.
I see that you dragged my reply into your argument. I said nothing about either the bakery or the restaurant. I was commenting on the comparison between business owners and customers, and that is all. A business may, by law, be prohibited from discriminating under certain circumstances, and there is no practical way of forcing customers to patronize all local businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies