Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Someone should have sued your boss.

This is the law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_group
Like I said, he didnt give racism as the 'documented' reason they were not hired, he would just put down something more acceptable/ legal. If any legal action was ever threatened to the company, they would only have the documented NO HIRE reason, its not like they would ever get him into a situation where he is aggressively being questioned about it...all he had to do is fabricate something, thats my point here, any business could do the same thing in refusing service, no one is grilling them about whether they were honest or not, that is always assumed.

Theres really no way to enforce that law to the fullest extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Because, hopefully, supporting Trump isn't a religion to people.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,479 times
I don't think it's OK either way, but religion is protected in this country and political party is not.

However, this is so overblown by conservatives playing the victim card (something they love to accuse others of doing). Sarah Sanders was kicked out of a restaurant for being Sarah Sanders. Period. She has a public persona and it's despicable. She wasn't kicked out because the restaurant kicks out Trump supporters or Republicans. She was kicked out for her own personal public behaviors.

Kicking out random people with MAGA hats is ridiculous to me, but political affiliations are not a protected class, nor should they be.

You can argue yourself why no one should be protected, but that someone would start this thread is a pretty good argument for continuing protections. People are ignorant. Kick someone out for being Muslim...just shows how little you understand the diversity of beliefs that fall under the umbrella of being Muslim, especially Muslim in America...just like the diversity of beliefs that fall under Christianity.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
There is an issue with a business having the right to refuse business to a customer, outside of the customer being a jerk, making threats, or making an unsafe work environment. That is, the business could use that to justify to refusing service based on that customers' race, political views, gender, etc.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:08 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Both are ideologies. What makes one an acceptable excuse for refusing service and the other is not.

Note that I'm not arguing in favor of businesses being able to ban muslims, and I'm not arguing in favor of forcing businesses to serve Trump supporters. The topic is, why this double standard is acceptable?
I believe religion is a protected class but political ideology isn't.

How would you feel if a business decided to ban Christians? You can bet City-Data would be blowing up with anger and rage.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes exactly; One set of rules for you and one set for a business owner. No consistency whatsoever.

Why should there be?

e.g. In your home you're free to let your dog slobber all over your hands, use the toilet without washing, go play in the dirt then prepare your meal and even spit on your food if you choose.
Are you suggesting cooks in commercial establishments should have similar freedom in preparing customers' meals?

Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
All businesses are free to refuse service to anyone they chose, they do not have to answer or explain to anyone why they refused either.

I used to have a very racist boss at a pizza place I managed, he would not hire any black person no matter how experienced they were...but to anyone asking, he would give another reason why they were not hired, not a good fit, not qualified, over qualified, etc. no one forcing him to be honest about why he didnt hire someone.

And did he refuse to serve blacks?

Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Why is it ok for businesses to ban Trump supporters, but not Muslims?

I believe a business owner should be able to cater to whomever he/she wishes. To answer your question they love Muslims and hate Trump supporters. Liberals are out to tear apart this nation.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why is it ok for businesses to ban Trump supporters, but not Muslims?

I believe a business owner should be able to cater to whomever he/she wishes. To answer your question they love Muslims and hate Trump supporters. Liberals are out to tear apart this nation.
Trump supporters hate America and all its values. They have their own perverted "American" values which is based around the hatred of everyone who isn't white, straight, fundamentalist Christian and who doesn't support patriarchy. Trump supporters are pro-freedom....freedom to obey the church.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump supporters hate America and all its values. They have their own perverted "American" values which is based around the hatred of everyone who isn't white, straight, fundamentalist Christian and who doesn't support patriarchy. Trump supporters are pro-freedom....freedom to obey the church.

I am not a Trump supporter and I believe what you have written above is pure BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies