Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't think it is ok for a business to ban customers for their political affiliation or religion.
Religion shouldn't be discriminated against and cannot by law. The Trump people weren't banned because of politics Pac-Man, but rather who they were. Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the DHHS chair were not allowed service because of who they were. Nobody has said they aren't serving anyone in a MAGA hat, just those causing a scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Why is it ok for businesses to ban Trump supporters, but not Muslims?

I don't claim that it is. Banning someone from a restaurant should be based on their behavior and disruption of service quality - not for ideology. For extreme ideologies, I would ban people for wearing attire that is likely to be very disruptive AND unambiguously promotes hate (as in "no other interpretation of the clothing's words is reasonable"). So wearing a MAGA hat or Trump shirt in and of itself is not bannable. Neither is BLM or shirts with a confederate flag on it (at least in the South, plus the more conservative of the non-South areas).

Individuals are a different story. I think owners ought to have the right to refuse services to certain individuals who are well known for a consistent track record of supporting hurt, harm, or degradation of others. Usually this will be people well-known in the community or nationally. But a random non-public individual wearing a MAGA hat, I don't support kicking them off the premises if they are clearly there to conduct business.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
As a business and/or property owner, it is your right to refuse to serve ANYONE for ANY reason.
Do you believe this to be true for health professionals like doctors?

Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Both are ideologies. What makes one an acceptable excuse for refusing service and the other is not.

Note that I'm not arguing in favor of businesses being able to ban muslims, and I'm not arguing in favor of forcing businesses to serve Trump supporters. The topic is, why this double standard is acceptable?
I don’t see a difference. They both share reprehensible philosophies and are morally wrong. The SCOTUS really made a horrible decision in ruling that the cake maker doesn’t have to bake for gays. Everything that a business owner disagrees with as morally wrong in his customers now has the legal right to discriminate.
But I do believe that EVERYONE should be served unless they are harming the business or other customers.

But since the SCOTUS bigots decided to rule that way, I am strongly in favor of signs that note who or what they would refuse to serve. I do not patronize businesses that hate on gays starting from the Prop 8 supporters to Chik-FilA and I feel better about myself.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:51 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Both are ideologies. What makes one an acceptable excuse for refusing service and the other is not.

Note that I'm not arguing in favor of businesses being able to ban muslims, and I'm not arguing in favor of forcing businesses to serve Trump supporters. The topic is, why this double standard is acceptable?
Muslims are a protected class as followers of Islam. It is illegal to discriminate against anyone because of their religion.

Trump supporters are not protected unless they can prove they follow him on religious grounds. Judging from some of the comments I've seen, they could probably make a pretty good case that they believe he is the second coming.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Do you believe this to be true for health professionals like doctors?
Yep.

If the State was completely and totally removed from all aspects of healthcare, it could return to being the free-market commodity it really is, with vastly reduced costs and with charity hospitals providing care to those of low income.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Muslims are a protected class as followers of Islam. It is illegal to discriminate against anyone because of their religion.
The idea of “protected classes” is a complete joke. It should be legal to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

Quote:
Judging from some of the comments I've seen, they could probably make a pretty good case that they believe he is the second coming.
Can't disagree with you there. You can tell a cultist by the way they always refer to him as “President Trump.”

Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Yep.

If the State was completely and totally removed from all aspects of healthcare, it could return to being the free-market commodity it really is, with vastly reduced costs and with charity hospitals providing care to those of low income.
What about first responders?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Why is it okay for businesses to ban trump supporters, but not Muslims?

Because Muslims are part of the democrat’s party base, and unfortunately democrats control most of what goes on in this country — especially with culture..
I don't care what your opinion of it is, but Islam is a religion and gets the same protections Christianity does. You don't get to decide that your religion gets protected but no one else's does, and you don't get to lie about it without being called out on that lie.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What about first responders?
Same. Already most ambulance services are provided by private companies.

In reality, first responders, ER doctors, etc. will still provide service to people as they wouldn't want the publicity for simply letting someone die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies