Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
They usually argue that marriage as an institution would be weakened, and this would lead to various negative social effects.
IMHO, anyone who feels that way should really look at the divorce rate in America. Marriage used to be "Till death do us part". Now, it's "Till you really tick me off do us part". That has already lead to quite a lot of negative social (and economical) effects.

I think we should just destroy the entire institution of marriage and replace it with civil unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Well I don't see too many other animals living that way.
Actually homosexual type behavior is pretty common in animals of all sorts and done for a variety of reasons - not all of them sexual.

Apes:
Monkey love. (homosexual behavior in primates) (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-20164884.html - broken link)

Dogs: Sexual Inversion and Homosexuality - Part 2 (http://www.doghealthhelp.com/dog_health_info_dog_health_insurance.htm - broken link)

In nature in general:
Homosexuality in Nature

Ken

Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
I actually think that the term "marriage" should be saved for those who want to be married in the eyes of God, at a church. All other unions (non-religious man-woman, and man-man/woman-woman) should be considered "civil unions," and should come with the same benefits of marriage. IMO of course.

I'm a Christian and I believe that homosexual behavior (not tendency) is a sin, but I do'nt think that there should be laws against it or discrimination concerning it... all of us are sinners, and having hate in your heart towards ANYONE is as bad as murder, or sodomy, or what have you. It's not our job to judge, it's our job to show Christ's love and grace to everyone, even if they do things that we don't believe are right.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I actually think that the term "marriage" should be saved for those who want to be married in the eyes of God, at a church. All other unions (non-religious man-woman, and man-man/woman-woman) should be considered "civil unions," and should come with the same benefits of marriage. IMO of course.

I'm a Christian and I believe that homosexual behavior (not tendency) is a sin, but I do'nt think that there should be laws against it or discrimination concerning it... all of us are sinners, and having hate in your heart towards ANYONE is as bad as murder, or sodomy, or what have you. It's not our job to judge, it's our job to show Christ's love and grace to everyone, even if they do things that we don't believe are right.
Christianity doesn't own the word marriage. Sorry, but the Christian definition of marriage isn't the actual definition. As a matter of fact, if you ask any sociologist, they will tell you themselves, one man-one woman relationships are new compared to polygamy and other forms of marriage. It isn't as old as you think.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
IMHO, anyone who feels that way should really look at the divorce rate in America. Marriage used to be "Till death do us part". Now, it's "Till you really tick me off do us part". That has already lead to quite a lot of negative social (and economical) effects.
Or, the availability of divorce has removed the reason to murder your spouse. Bad marriages have very deleterious social aspects too.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You do what you want, as long as you don't ask for any special breaks for doing it...........
Are you, as a married hetero person, willing to give up all of the benefits you receive from marriage? And from children? Tit for tat.

I've mentioned before that in Turkey, all marriages are civil unions. You are not married unless done so before the secular law. If you want a religious ceremony afterwards, fine. It is your choice, but in itself, a church celebration is not legally binding.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Are you, as a married hetero person, willing to give up all of the benefits you receive from marriage? And from children? Tit for tat.

I've mentioned before that in Turkey, all marriages are civil unions. You are not married unless done so before the secular law. If you want a religious ceremony afterwards, fine. It is your choice, but in itself, a church celebration is not legally binding.
Same thing in Germany, you have to go to the "Standesamt" first....religious ceremony optional.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Same thing in Germany, you have to go to the "Standesamt" first....religious ceremony optional.
Hmmm. Kamal Attaturk and Adolph Hitler -- our social models?

Maybe not.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hmmm. Kamal Attaturk and Adolph Hitler -- our social models?

Maybe not.
hmmm, I don't know what decade you are living in but Hitler was already dead and gone when my mother was born. Get over it.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
hmmm, I don't know what decade you are living in but Hitler was already dead and gone when my mother was born. Get over it.
Get over what?

(p.s. Ataturk died in 1938....)

My point is that neither of these countries provides a social model that is worth emulating. I thought that was self-evident.

What does your mother have to do with the discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies