Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
If that were true, why the decades-long resistance in removing Confederate statues et cetera from free American public spaces?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I was touched.

The symbols of the Confederacy are coming down. You CAN’T stop it.
History in Ruins: Cultural Heritage Destruction around the World
Quote:
At a roundtable titled “Destroying History: Threats to Cultural Heritage around the Globe” at the 2017 AHA Annuaannual meeting in Denver, Katherine French (Univ. of Michigan) noted that “war and politics are not the only enemies of the past . . . economic development, poverty, lack of training, and lack of resources also threaten to destroy historical artifacts.” The multidisciplinary roundtable, comprising six scholars—French, Senta German (Montclair State Univ.), Robert E. Murowchick (Boston Univ.), Thomas F. X. Noble (Univ. of Notre Dame), Ingrid Rowland (Univ. of Notre Dame, Rome Global Gateway), and Sylvia Sellers-Garcia (Boston Coll.)—revolved around the difficult question the discipline of history must confront in the face of multiple forms of source destruction: How will future historians accurately represent the past?
Scorched earth

Quote:
2: directed toward victory or supremacy at all costs : ruthless
  • scorched-earth rhetoric
Those that rose up on the other side of history; found their strength through their fight for what was right, may weaken future generations by the lack of historical evidence of what it took, to get to the other side.

Caution ... the end game just may back fire, that's all.

PS: the rebel flag is woven into the fabric of America. Unraveling it, will destabilize all of America culture and what it means, not just a select few, but all those that had a hand in making what we have become today, united. Those that see themselves a part rather than apart of will seek to make change in a way that will enable American rivals.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-05-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
What the heck are you on about?

Tell me, who in their right mind does NOT, as you wrote here, "believe that war (any war) & the killing of (any) innocents (anytime & in any circumstances) was/is a mistake"?

Who precisely, as you wrote here, is holding "all military personnel personally responsible for any perceived immoral or negative or disputed issues in all wars"?

"Loyalty to ancestors does not include loyalty to their mistakes."

This is self-evident, no more needs saying.
Quote:
By your reasoning ...

Black Civil War Soldiers

Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
By your reasoning ...

Black Civil War Soldiers

From the link you provided:

Quote:
...Black soldiers and their officers were also in grave danger if they were captured in battle. Confederate President Jefferson Davis called the Emancipation Proclamation “the most execrable measure in the history of guilty man” and promised that black prisoners of war would be enslaved or executed on the spot. (Their white commanders would likewise be punished—even executed—for what the Confederates called “inciting servile insurrection.”) Threats of Union reprisal against Confederate prisoners forced Southern officials to treat black soldiers who had been free before the war somewhat better than they treated black soldiers who were former slaves—but in neither case was the treatment particularly good. Union officials tried to keep their troops out of harm’s way as much as possible by keeping most black soldiers away from the front lines. ...

Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
I saw the title and didn’t research. I thought a person took down their own Confederate Flag because he realized it was offending his community.

It’s sad when the little bit of optimism I have left is incorrect.

Basically this is about some moron flying his piece of fabric and another moron violating his rights? Yes?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:

From the link you provided:
So those guys didn't kill any innocents during the war? Sorry, my bad ... my thinking that innocent people always get killed during wars by soldiers ... except when there is an exception and this is the rule.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I saw the title and didn’t research. I thought a person took down their own Confederate Flag because he realized it was offending his community.

It’s sad when the little bit of optimism I have left is incorrect.

Basically this is about some moron flying his piece of fabric and another moron violating his rights? Yes?
It's about a veteran saving the community from an evil flag and committing an act of theft while doing it.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
So those guys didn't kill any innocents during the war? Sorry, my bad ... my thinking that innocent people always get killed during wars by soldiers ... except when there is an exception and this is the rule.
By your "reasoning" ... the killing of innocent people is NOT an egregious mistake?

Seriously, what the heck are you attempting to enunciate here?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies