Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This was so courageous that it nearly brought me to tears as he explained why he personally removed a Confederate Flag flying at a local establishment.
Hm. How about that. A man had a meltdown when he removed his flag, and it made the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Let's start over from the beginning.

Resmer reads an article in the paper inquiring about why a rebel flag is flying at a certain location on a flagpole.

Now check this from the original article that Resmer read that morning:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...-nj/866096002/

The rightful owner of the property, the flagpole, and the flag (which is not necessarily the same person as the first two) is unknown.

Assuming Resmer is not mentally ill or cognitively impaired his intent was to trespass and then steal the flag even though at the time he did it he had no idea who the owners were.

We know this because that's what the original article said plus if we are assuming Resmer is not impaired he knows that the flag and flagpole do not occur in nature outside the labor of man.

We can reasonably conclude that Resmer is not impaired because he told the paper his intent later on...which was disgust at the sight of the flag.

Does this clear it up?

The crime is the intent and Resmer's knowledge that he is not the owner of the pole, flag, or property. It doesn't matter that the owner was...and still is...unknown.
Yes.

However, even though the owner of the rebel flag is unknown, did they not voluntarily relinquish their rights to ownership of said flag when they ran it up the pole and left?

There are to many unknowns.

There may or may not have been a u.s. flag on the pole. (If there was, it was stolen)
Brooks may or may not be the owner of the pole.

The beginning of the story, when Brooks left for the grocery store, the rebel flag was not there, but when she returned, the flag had been run up the pole. Side note: how does this even make news?

Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Messing with someone’s private property is a crime. In many parts of America trespassers risk being shot. It’s never wise to sneak around or vandalize others property.

The left will never change our opinions about the confederate flag. It is part of southern heritage and history and we are not yielding on this issue. I’ve never seen more confederate flags than I do today. Many fly them simply to defy the forces of political correctness.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Messing with someone’s private property is a crime. In many parts of America trespassers risk being shot. It’s never wise to sneak around or vandalize others property.

The left will never change our opinions about the confederate flag. It is part of southern heritage and history and we are not yielding on this issue. I’ve never seen more confederate flags than I do today. Many fly them simply to defy the forces of political correctness.
It's terrible to lose history. The destruction, vandalism and removal of statues from past battles seems as archaic as the Taliban destroying the Buddha.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes.

However, even though the owner of the rebel flag is unknown, did they not voluntarily relinquish their rights to ownership of said flag when they ran it up the pole and left?

There are to many unknowns.

There may or may not have been a u.s. flag on the pole. (If there was, it was stolen)
Brooks may or may not be the owner of the pole.

The beginning of the story, when Brooks left for the grocery store, the rebel flag was not there, but when she returned, the flag had been run up the pole. Side note: how does this even make news?
There are unknowns.

The one undeniable fact is Resnar knowingly trespassed and stole property.

If the owner of the property is the one who put the rebel flag up he didn't relinquish ownership of it after he left his property. It's adjacent to his pole on his soil.

If a non-property owner put the rebel flag up without permission of the rightful property owner he trespassed and then vandalized (putting it up) private property.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Hm. How about that. A man had a meltdown when he removed his flag, and it made the news.
Oh, there’s more in store.

The takedown of Confederate vestiges just got going.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh, there’s more in store.

The takedown of Confederate vestiges just got going.
There’s a whole lot more to the whole culture war in general coming down the pipe. You may have more planned, we will stop you. I don’t think your side understands where your taking this country. We are not giving up our freedoms, no matter what.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:15 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Exactly, just like this one.

"“Where the confederate flag still flies, we have built a powerful coalition of African Americans and white Americans.” This line came from Barack Obama’s race speech defending crazy Reverend Wright at the Constitution Center in 2008."

"images of a purported 1992 political campaign button began to pop up online. The button, supposedly from the victorious Clinton-Gore presidential ticket, was notable for using the Confederate battle flag as its motif (a tie-in to the fact that the two candidates hailed from the former Confederate states of Arkansas and Tennessee)Copies of the button were also offered for sale via the online auction site eBay"

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cl...2-confederate/

Though not "official" it was still out there.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nobody knows who owns the flag, who put it up, who owns the pole or the property that it's on... exactly who are you tolerating?

It's just a flag, why do you people let others affect your emotional well-being? Why are you openly weak enough that you resort to breaking the law to make yourself feel better?

"It's just a flag,"
I have noticed some of the same posters who claim the American flag is "It's just a flag" "just a piece of cloth" when discussing the NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem are NOW complaining about people flying the Stars and Bars.

Hypocrites to the core!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:24 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There are tyranny-oriented people on both sides of the "Big Two" we have here in the US. Regardless of which side the tyranny comes from, it is just as toxic in my view.

The only thing I will say is that I see far more in the way of tyrannical crusades coming from the left than I do the right. The right wants to buy me. The left wants to enslave me. I can refuse to be bought by some big corporation, I cannot refuse to be enslaved by a runaway government unless I am prepared to die or rot in jail trying.

(BTW, I have a Mexican flag. Don't fly it though. I have no reason to)
Why talk about 'alternate histories' when we have real ones.

The 'Big Two' back in the day was the United States & the Confederacy. Tha American Civil War was fought over the right to own people as property.

Why mince words? Honor the Confederacy's Lost Cause or honor the United States of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies