Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Where are you getting that information? ... from the op link:
From the link inside the link article:
No one stole anything ... what they did was, take down the u.s. flag and put up a rebel flag in its place ...
Oh wait ... if there was a u.s. flag that was there and it was removed, then someone stole the u.s. flag. Well shoot, they ought to be shot. And quick wit to the veteran for keeping us safe from an evil flag.

Someone mixed their labor with resources to put that flagpole in the ground, but a flag pole's gotta do, what a flag pole was intended to do ... fly a flag.
Again, no crime was committed by any one, because it's an evil flag and the flag takes all the attention. No one cares about the trespasser and no one is looking for him/her. They got the flag and disposed of it and so all is right in the world.
The man trespassed and stole it.

His only defense would be he's cognitively impaired and believes that flags and flagpoles occur in nature outside of man.

That's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So should a Southerner living in the North be allowed to fly a Confederate flag?

If you say no, are you also against an illegal Mexican living in America flying the Mexican flag?
The Confederate Flag is the standard of a band of traitors who attacked the United States and tried to destroy the Union. Displaying it has no more place of honor among patriotic Americans than would flying a swastika.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The Confederate flag is the flag of traitors, and losers.

It's a mystery why anyone flies it.

As stated in the OP: where tens of thousands of men shed blood

While you may not agree on the complexities of issues and politics that started the Civil War a century and a half ago, nonetheless people on both sides shed blood, lost loved ones, fathers, sons, husbands, livelihoods, land, not to mention the rape and pillaging. The mystery is the Confederate flag is a symbol of remembrance for those who fought and died defending their families, land, community, and way of life. Just like today most soldiers are not directly invested in the root causes of war nor do they necessarily agree with the complexities and politics associated with the cause yet they take their orders and serve, protect their "homeland" as most battles were fought in their backyard, and they suffer injury, loss and death and their families and ancestors still honor the sacrifices they made regardless of which political agenda won.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM

977 posts, read 568,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Confederate flag is a symbol of criminals.
Anyone who flys it is a traitor.
Yet another case of First Amendment rights, but only as long as you agree with me. Whether we like the expression or not, we should never lose sight of the fact that people have the right to freely express themselves. Whatever happened to "I don't agree with what you're saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Pretty much, it's morphed into "I don't agree with what you're saying, so shut the heck up", and in some cases even "I don't agree with what you're saying, so shut the heck up before I beat the crap out of you." Very sad.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
Jury nullification. Not a chance in hell that I would convict someone for taking down a flag that symbolizes treason and white supremacy. I believe it should be a crime to display the Confederate flag, it is blatant disorderly conduct as far as I am concerned.

"Almost every state has a disorderly conduct law making it a crime to be drunk in public, "disturb the peace," or loiter in certain areas. Since the statutes are often used as “catch-all” crimes, many types of obnoxious or unruly conduct may fit the definition. Police often use a disorderly conduct charge to keep the peace when a person is behaving in a disruptive manner, but presents no serious public danger."
Well, good thing that our founders disagreed with you and put something into the document that outlines the very structure of our government. The First Amendment protects speech you disagree with just as much as it does speech you agree with. YOU don't get to determine what other people say, think and believe. That's the nature of a free society, and I'm getting more and more convinced that there is a significant fraction of America today that does not value freedom and would rather live in a totalitarian state.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Confederate Flag is the standard of a band of traitors who attacked the United States and tried to destroy the Union. Displaying it has no more place of honor among patriotic Americans than would flying a swastika.
Flying a swastika also is legal. You can personally revile anyone who flies a Confederate Flag, a swastika, or any other symbol all you want. What you cannot do is make doing so illegal. You also cannot steal that person's private property simply because you think he/she is a scumbag for what they're doing. It should also go without saying, but sadly some don't get this either, you cannot engage in violence with someone who flies an offensive flag.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
I have no issue with him removing it and no issue with him being charged with a crime for doing so.

It is absolutely replaceable... it wasn't an antique.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
I think most posters opposing the rights of others take a course on the Civil War and hopefully will learn what really caused that war in which many men on both sides fought and died.

I wonder how many people opposed to the Confederate flag voted for Donald Trump who is a draft dodger whose daddy paid to keep him out of the military. Many good men and women from all over the country, both north and south, went to war while Trump ducked the draft.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/08/...ft-deferments/

Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Well, good thing that our founders disagreed with you and put something into the document that outlines the very structure of our government. The First Amendment protects speech you disagree with just as much as it does speech you agree with. YOU don't get to determine what other people say, think and believe. That's the nature of a free society, and I'm getting more and more convinced that there is a significant fraction of America today that does not value freedom and would rather live in a totalitarian state.
Obviously, and they really believe they are right. Scary.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:24 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
There are too many posts to read through the entire thread.
Was the confederate flag placed there by the new owners of the business? If so, the guy removing it should be charged.
If the person who placed the confederate flag there removed an existing flag and is not the owner of the business, nor was not instructed by the owner to do so,he too should be charged.
If the owner decides to fly the confederate flag there it is his business in more ways than one. If there is a town ordinance, owner will have to abide by it or go to the board for permission. Anyone not wanting to patronize the business doesn't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies