Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:16 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What does it matter? Everyone knows the anti-semites in the US are the left-wing. Remember all the left's rage against having the US move the Embassy to Jerusalem?
Everyone knows except the Jews, apparently. The anti-semitism I've experienced (including, but not limited to, losing job opportunities, property vandalism, threats to my Jewish employer, and a cross burned on my lawn) came from the right.

Criticism of Israel =/= anti-semitism, though it can cross that line. I don't worry about my safety in the US from the BDS crowd the way I do about tiki torch Nazis.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Don't confuse antisemitism with the apparent lack of support for Israel. Today's US Jews are more liberal than they are active supporters of Israel, a foreign country. They do not hate Israel, just don't promote it like some on the right.
This is a very reasonable and fair response. I do not detect anti-semitism from liberals - only a lack of support for Israel. Not the same thing.

I'm married to an ethnically-Jewish Republican and he would laugh out loud at the idea that conservatives are anti-semitic. Not every Jew is a liberal, not every Republican is a white supremacist, and smart people know this and don't say stupid things to the contrary.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:41 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Everyone knows except the Jews, apparently. The anti-semitism I've experienced (including, but not limited to, losing job opportunities, property vandalism, threats to my Jewish employer, and a cross burned on my lawn) came from the right.
The right is OK with moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem. It's the left that pitched a colossal anti-Semitic fit.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This is a very reasonable and fair response. I do not detect anti-semitism from liberals - only a lack of support for Israel. Not the same thing.
Of course it's the same thing. The population of Israel is over 75% Jewish. They recognize Jerusalem as their capital. Now the US does, too. It's only the anti-Semitic US left-wing that's against it.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
Quote:
Of course it's the same thing. The population of Israel is over 75% Jewish. They recognize Jerusalem as their capital. Now the US does, too. It's only the anti-Semitic US left-wing that's against it.

FACT: Actually just about every nation in the world DOES NOT not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Quote:
FACT: Actually just about every nation in the world DOES NOT not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Exactly, and for good reason.

What a mess ...

Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It's none of their business. The country itself has the right to choose their own capital, just like the US ultimately decided on Washington, DC as its capital. The US right-wing in the US recognizes Israel's choice. The anti-Semitic left in the US does not.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It's none of their business. The country itself has the right to choose their own capital, just like the US ultimately decided on Washington, DC as its capital. The US right-wing in the US recognizes Israel's choice. The anti-Semitic left in the US does not.
The state of Israel is a creation of the United Nations.

The city of Jerusalem was kept an international city for some very good reasons, until such time as the parties could reach an amicable mutual agreement on the subject, and it has been a prime motivation for peace discussions. Everyone understood this until president knucklehead came to town.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The state of Israel is a creation of the United Nations.
Does the UN still govern Israel? Or is Israel self-governing? Answer that question, and you'll know WHO gets to choose Israel's capital.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Does the UN still govern Israel? Or is Israel self-governing? Answer that question, and you'll know WHO gets to choose Israel's capital.
They didn't give Jerusalem to Israel, nor to the Palestinians.

It is not Israel's to take. They have no more right to establish their capital in Jerusalem than in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies