Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:48 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Which is fictional?
It is not a matter of which is fictional. You are claiming a false premise.

The Palestinians (Christians and Muslims) share ancestry with Jews. They are all descended from the same people of that place, and have at least an equal claim to the land.

Furthermore, most Jews who left the region in Hellenic and Roman times left on their own, following opportunities in other parts of the world. St Paul was born in Tarsus, a place now in Turkey, Philo was born in Alexandria, in Egypt. Jewish people migrated to India and to Spain and up to the Rhine border region following opportunities. These were economic migrants, who would have left family properties to brothers or have sold their shares.

I am not discounting the events after the Bar Kochba revolt, when rebels were exiled, but that tragedy was very minor in numbers compared to the enormous numbers of people who migrated over many centuries even from the First temple period for jobs and trade. By the time of Christ there were more Jews outside of Palestine than within it.

I couldn't go back to England and demand land, my family left in peace and the property was inherited by others. I can't go back to Mississippi or Louisiana and claim a place, my grandparents left that place and started new elsewhere.

The Jewish families who came to Israel in the 20th century had been gone for many many centuries, all the while intermixing with Europeans, the families they left behind centuries ago are the Palestinians of today.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:56 AM

18,810 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It is not a matter of which is fictional. You are claiming a false premise.

The Palestinians (Christians and Muslims) share ancestry with Jews. They are all descended from the same people of that place, and have at least an equal claim to the land.

Furthermore, most Jews who left the region in Hellenic and Roman times left on their own, following opportunities in other parts of the world. St Paul was born in Tarsus, a place now in Turkey, Philo was born in Alexandria, in Egypt. Jewish people migrated to India and to Spain and up to the Rhine border region following opportunities. These were economic migrants, who would have left family properties to brothers or have sold their shares.

I am not discounting the events after the Bar Kochba revolt, when rebels were exiled, but that tragedy was very minor in numbers compared to the enormous numbers of people who migrated over many centuries even from the First temple period for jobs and trade. By the time of Christ there were more Jews outside of Palestine than within it.

I couldn't go back to England and demand land, my family left in peace and the property was inherited by others. I can't go back to Mississippi or Louisiana and claim a place, my grandparents left that place and started new elsewhere.

The Jewish families who came to Israel in the 20th century had been gone for many many centuries, all the while intermixing with Europeans, the families they left behind centuries ago are the Palestinians of today.
All the above may be entitled. I don't see any fiction here.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:25 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
All the above may be entitled. I don't see any fiction here.
Well, that's the point.

The Palestinians have an irrefutable claim, as strong as anything the Jewish people from Europe would have, if not more so. Therefore the question of Jerusalem was left for the two parties to agree upon at a future time. This has made Jerusalem a focus and incentive of the peace process.

All nations have understood this and it was not violated by any, until president knucklehead got involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Wait For It - Paul Ryan Discovers He Is Part Jewish-partition.png  

Old 08-03-2018, 03:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I discount the validity of the test. Everyone is part Jewish allasudden. Right, ok
Ashkenazi Jews are such a small, endogamous group that 3% probably isn’t statistical noise (the same goes for Finns, apparently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Unlike other religious groups, Judaism is also an ethnicity/tribe. We are typically genetically and culturally distinct from the other ethnic groups where we have historically lived. For instance, my family has much more genetically in common with a Jewish family in France or Germany than it did with their neighbors in Lithuania and Russia, both because of marrying within the religion and being ostracized and threatened by those who were not Jewish. The latter is how we ended up in the US, after all.

Many Jewish people are no longer affiliated with Judaism the faith but are still very much Jewish.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And so is there a problem? When did Paul Ryan ever say or do anything that would make anyone think he was anti-Jewish or be ashamed of having some Jewish lineage?
What was the point of "Wait for it......" ?
I can fault Paul Ryan for any number of things, but anti-Semitism probably isn’t one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Everyone knows except the Jews, apparently. The anti-semitism I've experienced (including, but not limited to, losing job opportunities, property vandalism, threats to my Jewish employer, and a cross burned on my lawn) came from the right.

Criticism of Israel =/= anti-semitism, though it can cross that line. I don't worry about my safety in the US from the BDS crowd the way I do about tiki torch Nazis.
Indeed, anti-Semitism can come from the left, right, or center. And among the anti-Israel crowd (and even segments of the pro-Israel crowd), it isn’t hard to tell who really hates the Jews. The symbols and rhetoric give it away.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM

18,810 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Well, that's the point.

The Palestinians have an irrefutable claim, as strong as anything the Jewish people from Europe would have, if not more so. Therefore the question of Jerusalem was left for the two parties to agree upon at a future time. This has made Jerusalem a focus and incentive of the peace process.

All nations have understood this and it was not violated by any, until president knucklehead got involved.
They all may well have a claim. But Israel has the might right now. As the USA does over Native Americans and Mexicans. Current realities. Manifest Destinies. We can only hope appropriate compromises will be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies