Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I am related to Big J.....

"was a direct descendant of Abraham and David through Joseph, Jesus’ legal father. The genealogy in Luke 3 traces Jesus’ lineage through His mother, Mary. Jesus is a descendant of David by adoption through Joseph and by blood through Mary. “As to his earthly life [Christ Jesus] was a descendant of David
#metoo

Hmmmm....wonder if I can capitalize on this??? A G5 would be cool for my travel plans.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If I found out I was even remotely related to Trump, I'd be downright suicidal!
Well then I hope you don't have blue eyes.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
How is a person part of a religion? It is not like religion is DNA or something, either you believe or not.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:09 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How is a person part of a religion? It is not like religion is DNA or something, either you believe or not.
Judaism the religion is primarily transmitted from generation to generation among people descended from the tribe of Judah. Of course with considerable admixture with others as they migrated from one area to another.

Some people convert (there have been times when the synagogues were open to converts, Ivanka Trump is a prominent convert), then there were also marriages without conversion, and one can assume rapes. So the Jewish communities would eventually come to resemble the people they lived among, because they were actually related, but they generally also had this Canaanite/Hebrew ancestry which shows up in their DNA.

In the 21st century we also now have many people who are not practicing the religion who are also descended from the Jewish community of the past. Most prominent are the Palestinian Christians and Muslims, but also many European Christians. There has been a continual process of assimilation around the world and many of these people are ethnically related but have lost their own connection to the old Hebrew religion.

A fascinating example, the Knanaya Christians of India are descended from the Jewish community of Iraq and southern India which converted to Christianity many centuries ago and survived as an isolated caste.

If I remember correctly Barry Goldwater was descended from a Jewish merchant with a slightly different spelling to the name, although he was raised a Christian (probably Episcopalian).

Old 08-01-2018, 10:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Judaism the religion is primarily transmitted from generation to generation among people descended from the tribe of Judah. Of course with considerable admixture with others as they migrated from one area to another.

Some people convert (there have been times when the synagogues were open to converts, Ivanka Trump is a prominent convert), then there were also marriages without conversion, and one can assume rapes. So the Jewish communities would eventually come to resemble the people they lived among, because they were actually related, but they generally also had this Canaanite/Hebrew ancestry which shows up in their DNA.

In the 21st century we also now have many people who are not practicing the religion who are also descended from the Jewish community of the past. Most prominent are the Palestinian Christians and Muslims, but also many European Christians. There has been a continual process of assimilation around the world and many of these people are ethnically related but have lost their own connection to the old Hebrew religion.

A fascinating example, the Knanaya Christians of India are descended from the Jewish community of Iraq and southern India which converted to Christianity many centuries ago and survived as an isolated caste.

If I remember correctly Barry Goldwater was descended from a Jewish merchant with a slightly different spelling to the name, although he was raised a Christian (probably Episcopalian).
Religion is not a genetic component. There is no "Jewish" DNA that states now you are Jewish. Jewish is a religion, nothing more, there is zero genetics tied to it, no more than tied to the flying spaghetti monster.

Either the person believes in such religion or does not. If a person finds that someone in their family tree practiced that religion, fine, but that has zero relevance on the person unless some entity created a legal relevance for it.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m sure some of Trump`s Deplorables wish they owned a few of their own.
>>> I'm sure some of Hillary and Obama's supporters DO own a few of their own.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:56 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
A bit confusing describing the Jewish connection through a distant male relative. The lineage has to be through the Mother's side. Maybe someone can clear this up for me.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:01 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,569,336 times
The Ancestry DNA commercials actually point out how many are incorrect on their ancestry. Many of the stories passed on through the generations are not always based on fact. It explains why someone might think they were native American yet aren't.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
someday they are going to discover that those DNA tests are very in accurate.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well then I hope you don't have blue eyes.
I do! But so does James Earl Jones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies