Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
So.... We shouldn't take seriously the things the President of the United States says, particularly on a right of all citizens that is protected in the Constitution (and has been debated at the SC level)?

Seems to be an odd stance.

If anything, he's most honest in these settings (honest, but usually not accurate), so you should definitely take the things (nonsense) he says at his "rallies" (???) seriously.

His claim that everyone should have photo ID to vote is a valid one. But since he is not intelligent or well articulate at all he tries to support it by talking non-sense. It is a total LIE to say you need or should need photo ID to buy groceries. This kind of talk, his ego, etc. is complete non-sense and should just be ignored.

The news and people in general should be a little serious instead of picking on his idiocy.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I shop in NYC all the time. Big tourist destination, no? Never asked for ID.
Not as big of a tourist destination as we are here. In my little coastal town, I'm talking a year round population of 369 vs. a peak visitor/vacationer population of over 20,000. Source: 2010 Census. Talk to me when NYC has a tourist population that's 54 times the year round residential population.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
The percentage of people who vote is painfully small. There is no voter fraud on a grand scale. There have been a few isolated cases found after exhaustive searches and a whole lot of our tax dollars spent. And most of those people voted for Republicans.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Again, those things are not 'groceries'. The cheeto used the word 'groceries'. 'Groceries' are food items.
Good Lord.
I bet you are tons of fun at parties.
Seriously do some of you folks scrutinize everything everyone says insisting every word/sentence is precise, specific and detailed. How do you get through life.

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense. "All" wasn't a qualifier in the statement. It is indeed true that one needs a photo ID to buy groceries. I do. That makes the statement true.
You do not need ID to buy ANY groceries. Groceries, by definition, are perishable and non-perishable food. Even if you expand it to include oils and cooking wine, you do not need ID to buy ANY of that.

Cigarettes are NOT groceries.
Alcohol is NOT groceries.
Shotguns, pharmaceuticals, nailguns, etc are NOT groceries.

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if you're using a loyalty card at the grocery store you're showing your ID ..... cash or credit

it's pretty simple
I never had to do that. Sounds like really paranoid behavior.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not as big of a tourist destination as we are here. In my little coastal town, I'm talking a year round population of 369 vs. a peak visitor/vacationer population of over 20,000. Source: 2010 Census. Talk to me when NYC has a tourist population that's 54 times the year round residential population.
Jeez, I would think they'd know you by now in a town that size.

You want to keep making excuses for trump, have at it. He's a moron, and anyone who hasn't figured that out by now is beyond hope.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Other than paying by check or beer/wine/tobacco (for some people, not all) , If that’s a list of what you routinely get at the grocery store, you have a really odd set of shopping habits.

And not everyone drinks or pays by check.

I don’t class his statement as mostly correct
If we add ALL the items in a typical grocery store - and even a hardware store (epoxy, acid) and even all of Amazon (dangerous insecticides and much more).....

The percentage that you'd need an ID for is so small as to be almost immeasurable (in dollars or items).

The fact that a Trumpie rates that as "mostly correct" is troubling. Quite a low bar.

If one takes a test and gets 98% of the questions wrong, is that "mostly correct" also?

But, wow, it really doesn't matter. The Mob is Here. The bigger question is whether sane people will turn away from rule by the Mob.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
The percentage of people who vote is painfully small. There is no voter fraud on a grand scale. There have been a few isolated cases found after exhaustive searches and a whole lot of our tax dollars spent. And most of those people voted for Republicans.
That may be and for the painfully small percentage of people who do they probably drove to the polls and it takes a second to whip out the photo ID nearly everyone has in order to accomplish many encounters that are necessary in our lives.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Here's the nail-in-the-coffin final argument for why you don't need ID for groceries -- self-checkout.

When you buy anything through self-checkout, the system auto flags purchases that you need a supervisor/associate to authorize.

The only items I've seen flagged are alcohol and cigarettes. If you don't have either of those, you will not be held up for someone to check your ID, even if you're paying w/ a credit or debit card.

Put this foolishness to bed and just admit that Trump has no idea what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies