Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 02:24 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Parkland survivors were sooo instrumental in the supposed current state of affairs with the NRA.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nra-...193804179.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 02:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I believe Wayne LaPierre is still collecting more than $1 million per year (correct me if I'm wrong) and they just recently dropped $4 million into his pension plan. Pretty good pay for scaremongering ...

Membership is up, and that's $40 per year from each.

They need to stop lobbying and get back to basics, and become honorable once again.

LaPierre is a lobbyist, and that is the going rate for lobbyists these days. If anything he is way underpaid since the NRA is consistently ranked as the most effective DC lobby group by surveys of congressional staffers. The Univ of WA president makes $910,000, probably the highest paid state employee (other than football coach). Why? Because her main job is that of lobbyist, and that is the going rate.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
And they overspent something like $46 million in 2016.

Sounds like they've got a spending problem first, which they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Can't blame insurers for not wanting to cover them if they've had excessive claims.
I think the overspending might have been on lobbying efforts, campaign contributions and such in the 2016 elections.

The insurance part had to do with offering gun owners insurance that apparently covered illegal behavior.

They got called on it and their insurance company dropped them altogether and now they can't find a new one.

Not sure why banks won't have anything to do with them. Read an article about fear of "regulatory reprisals" but not sure what those reprisals might be.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
LaPierre is a lobbyist, and that is the going rate for lobbyists these days. If anything he is way underpaid since the NRA is consistently ranked as the most effective DC lobby group by surveys of congressional staffers. The Univ of WA president makes $910,000, probably the highest paid state employee (other than football coach). Why? Because her main job is that of lobbyist, and that is the going rate.
Maybe he will have to take 2 million and put the rest into insurance or banking?

You know, fiscal conservatism!

Or, they can send out some "fear" emails and mailings and double their membership fee.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Maybe he will have to take 2 million and put the rest into insurance or banking?

You know, fiscal conservatism!

Or, they can send out some "fear" emails and mailings and double their membership fee.

You quoted my post, so I assume you meant this as a response to it. What does any of what you said have to do with any of what I said? You know when you click that 'quote' button, it means you are offering a response to the quoted post???

Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You quoted my post, so I assume you meant this as a response to it. What does any of what you said have to do with any of what I said? You know when you click that 'quote' button, it means you are offering a response to the quoted post???
My point is clear. Lapierre can take a little less...I'm sure 2 million for the pension is "in the realm" of other lobbyists....and that would leave more money for other services for the org....

I'm not answering you as much as offering the NRA the idea of fiscal conservatism. I'm sure they can find someone rabid and qualified to do the job for less.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:35 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think the overspending might have been on lobbying efforts, campaign contributions and such in the 2016 elections.

The insurance part had to do with offering gun owners insurance that apparently covered illegal behavior.

They got called on it and their insurance company dropped them altogether and now they can't find a new one.

Not sure why banks won't have anything to do with them. Read an article about fear of "regulatory reprisals" but not sure what those reprisals might be.
It is another Obama anti-gun scheme called "Operation Choke Point" (OCP) that some institutions are still enforcing, probably for political/ideological reasons.

Here is an article about it;

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...on-choke-point

Many on the left pretended Obama was not anti-gun, which he himself lied about until he won a 2nd term.

Hillary of course was already locked in as anti-2nd Amendment, so she had to double down on it hoping more anti-constitution freaks would show up instead of gun owners.
She miscalculated.

`

Old 08-04-2018, 04:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
This is a donation ploy. I don’t believe it. They haven’t had problems paying politicians off.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My point is clear. Lapierre can take a little less...I'm sure 2 million for the pension is "in the realm" of other lobbyists....and that would leave more money for other services for the org....

I'm not answering you as much as offering the NRA the idea of fiscal conservatism. I'm sure they can find someone rabid and qualified to do the job for less.
Obviously they could find someone to do the job for less, but not as effectively. The NRA, despite being dwarfed by other lobbies in spending, is consistently ranked at or near the top in effectiveness, according to surveys of congressional staffers. A lot of that is due to LaPierre.

If you compare the NRA to (say) the ACLU, the NRA has been 1000 times more effective. Gun rights are in a better place today than in many years. We have concealed carry around the country, the sun-setting of the so called 'Assault Weapon ban,' and most of all the Heller ruling recognizing the Second Amendment as an individual right.

By contrast the ACLU is largely focused on the First and Fourth Amendments. In both cases, these amendments have been greatly eroded in recent decades. The 4th is arguably virtually non-existent. The ACLU even admitted recently that it is no longer the bulwark for free speech that it has traditionally been.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/21/a...mo-free-speech

Old 08-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is another Obama anti-gun scheme called "Operation Choke Point" (OCP) that some institutions are still enforcing, probably for political/ideological reasons.

Here is an article about it;

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...on-choke-point

Many on the left pretended Obama was not anti-gun, which he himself lied about until he won a 2nd term.

Hillary of course was already locked in as anti-2nd Amendment, so she had to double down on it hoping more anti-constitution freaks would show up instead of gun owners.
She miscalculated.

`
I had actually convinced myself to vote for Hillary around July 2016 when I heard a clip of her spouting gun control nonsense. Right there I knew that I could never vote for her. I still wonder how much her gun control double down hurt her. It was widely recognized that gun control was a big factor in Al Gore's loss. He lost his home state of TN, and Clinton's home state of AR, but largely on the basis of gun control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies