Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 05:01 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
The NRA should be apolitical, focusing on gun safety and responsible gun ownership, instead they seem to act as GOP super pac, complete with paid crisis actors like Dana Loesch.

Of course, this could all just be more fear mongering from them to get more donations too, so...

I am well old enough to remember when the NRA was just as you describe. It is sad that over the past 20 years or so, they have lost the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am well old enough to remember when the NRA was just as you describe. It is sad that over the past 20 years or so, they have lost the way.

The NRA did not lose their way, they had to change their way in response to external forces. The NRA really started to become more political around 1970, just after the Gun Control Act of 1968 that passed in response to the murders of JFK, MLK, and Bobby Kennedy.

That kicked off about 30 years of gun control efforts. The NRA became political not because it wanted to, but because it had to. If it had not done this, the US would have gone the way of Britain, Australia, Canada, etc.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The NRA did not lose their way, they had to change their way in response to external forces. The NRA really started to become more political around 1970, just after the Gun Control Act of 1968 that passed in response to the murders of JFK, MLK, and Bobby Kennedy.

That kicked off about 30 years of gun control efforts. The NRA became political not because it wanted to, but because it had to. If it had not done this, the US would have gone the way of Britain, Australia, Canada, etc.

It could be. I do not recall the NRA having become so political back in 1970 (when I was 15), but the things I do not recall would fill a bucket.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:20 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think the overspending might have been on lobbying efforts, campaign contributions and such in the 2016 elections.

The insurance part had to do with offering gun owners insurance that apparently covered illegal behavior.

They got called on it and their insurance company dropped them altogether and now they can't find a new one.

Not sure why banks won't have anything to do with them. Read an article about fear of "regulatory reprisals" but not sure what those reprisals might be.
The NRA has lost their general liability coverage.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The NRA has lost their general liability coverage.

It was my understanding that only the NRA television show was in jeopardy. I could be wrong, but I doubt the organization is in any real trouble.

If they are, they may want to rethink how much they pay the top executives.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It could be. I do not recall the NRA having become so political back in 1970 (when I was 15), but the things I do not recall would fill a bucket.
It was actually 1977 according to this:
The NRA's journey from marksmanship to political brinkmanship

Quote:
By the mid-1970s, a dissident group within the NRA believed that the organization was losing the national debate over guns by being too defensive and not political enough. The dispute erupted at the NRA’s 1977 annual convention, where the dissidents deposed the old guard.
From this point forward, the NRA became ever more political and strident in its defense of so-called “gun rights,” which it increasingly defined as nearly absolute under the Second Amendment.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Will the NRA survive? They may be deprived of some financial services essential to their corporate existence, but they'll survive.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:41 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I had actually convinced myself to vote for Hillary around July 2016 when I heard a clip of her spouting gun control nonsense. Right there I knew that I could never vote for her. I still wonder how much her gun control double down hurt her. It was widely recognized that gun control was a big factor in Al Gore's loss. He lost his home state of TN, and Clinton's home state of AR, but largely on the basis of gun control.
Bingo!

I watched an interview with Bill Clinton years ago, and he was asked why his popularity didn't translate to Gore. He was also asked if any one reason existed that caused him to lose.
Sure enough Bill said the gun issue killed Gore, as many Democrats are strong 2nd Amendment supporters, and they either voted for Bush, or didn't show up to support Gore.

`

Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
This is interesting. I wonder how much impact the Parkland Survivors actually had on the current situation...?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nra-...193804179.html

Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They act on behalf of the millions of members and gun owners in this country, why would the NRA ever support a Democrat when Democrats openly want to destroy the NRA and eliminate gun rights in this country?
Then maybe you should give more money to them. Or maybe they should increase their membership fees. And I'm so tired of hearing the lie that democrats want to eliminate gun rights. Many democrats own guns. But we need to have common sense when it comes to guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies