Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 03:20 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Partly true. But from a pragmatic standpoint irrelevant.
Its not irrelevant. Its a big reason why you have not seen higher raises. The health care elites are eating into your paycheck every year. And they are not satisfied. More cost increases are coming as America head towards $4 trillion in annual health care costs, an absurd amount compared to any other developed country. Why put up with this nonsense? The sooner we stop voting for corrupt politicians funded by the health care industry, when we stop listening to corrupt think tanks funded by the industry (the so-called "Urban Institute" is funded by Cigna, Pfizer and Kaizer Permanente), when we stop reading corporate mainstream media telling us how awful it would be if we learn from what other countries do better, the better off we will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 03:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course Obamacare is not single payer, and part of the point. With Medicare for all we essentially have single payer. You will see how docs, providers, facilities and other HC related entities will buck at that.

We need to continue to offer choices with HC. Both public and private. Otherwise the HC people and businesses will be perpetually squeezed, and they will continually buck and then end up doing the minimum. American patients will not be happy.

There is a large swath of this country of ours we call conservative. And they want to preserve choice with less gov't, and that means a private sector in HC.

Without that we will become a giant VA, a perverse goal we should not want. There will be a reduction in quality, less motivation, less innovation, longer waits and less convenient HC access. And then all Americans will buck.

The delivery of HC over the years has changed incrementally, and I think that needs to continue as we meander down our road to more universal HC. Medicaid and Obamacare. The private sector. And then lower Medicare to 50-55. That in itself will ease much of the high risk burden off Obamacare and the middle class.

Younger and healthier, lower medical risks can be attended to well enough in the private sector.
The simple solution is to implement a Medicare For All universal HC system. And make it strictly voluntary. If a person doesn't want to enroll in it they don't have to. Purchase private health insurance in that case. And should a person have a medical problem and is not enrolled in some kind of insurance program, they go home when they run out of money.

Problem solved.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The simple solution is to implement a Medicare For All universal HC system. And make it strictly voluntary. If a person doesn't want to enroll in it they don't have to. Purchase private health insurance in that case. And should a person have a medical problem and is not enrolled in some kind of insurance program, they go home when they run out of money.

Problem solved.
That wouldnt work. If a child does not have the medical status tattoo on their forehead in an emergency, how would health care providers know whether they can treat that child or not. The providers dont know if they will get paid by the parents or not.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
That wouldnt work. If a child does not have the medical status tattoo on their forehead in an emergency, how would health care providers know whether they can treat that child or not. The providers dont know if they will get paid by the parents or not.
No problem. Just include a 5 year sign-up provision for the universal system for those that have no insurance at all.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:04 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then you surely strongly support people begging for money from the streets to pay for their medical care. That way its voluntarily given.
That is essentially what she is advocating. People here complain all the time about people asking for money. I've seen people complain about GoFundMe sites, but she is essentially saying that folks that need their meds urgently need to beg for money every month.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
No problem. Just include a 5 year sign-up provision for the universal system for those that have no insurance at all.
And how would that work?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Insurance. When she can't afford the deductibles or co-pays, I VOLUNTARILY help her with the costs.
I don't know your family situation and it's none of my business, but what happens if something happens to you? Let's say she has no one else to turn to? What then? I'm unfortunate because my parents died early (not self-inflicted) as did a sister (also not self-inflicted) and I am divorced and my kids are young. All of the people I would have to fall back on are dead save for one sister who is not made of money, but does help when she can. Not $500 a month help, since she can't.

Never mind. Your mom would have to ask for hand outs.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its not irrelevant. Its a big reason why you have not seen higher raises. The health care elites are eating into your paycheck every year. And they are not satisfied. More cost increases are coming as America head towards $4 trillion in annual health care costs, an absurd amount compared to any other developed country. Why put up with this nonsense? The sooner we stop voting for corrupt politicians funded by the health care industry, when we stop listening to corrupt think tanks funded by the industry (the so-called "Urban Institute" is funded by Cigna, Pfizer and Kaizer Permanente), when we stop reading corporate mainstream media telling us how awful it would be if we learn from what other countries do better, the better off we will be.
Nothing will change with single payer. You just watch.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know your family situation and it's none of my business, but what happens if something happens to you? Let's say she has no one else to turn to? What then? I'm unfortunate because my parents died early (not self-inflicted) as did a sister (also not self-inflicted) and I am divorced and my kids are young. All of the people I would have to fall back on are dead save for one sister who is not made of money, but does help when she can. Not $500 a month help, since she can't.

Never mind. Your mom would have to ask for hand outs.
Can’t you get SSDI and Medicaid?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Nothing will change with single payer. You just watch.
The rest of the civilized word has proven otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies