Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is my No. 1 gripe about the U.S. It is outrageous that people should be facing bankruptcy and/or foreclosures or having to choose between buying medicine and buying food because of medical-related costs. BOTH parties should work together to correct this situation, and this ONE issue will determine who I will vote for in 2020.

P.S. on Edit: After doing a just a tiny bit of additional research about this, I found the following:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.97f830913c79

Now IF the Trump administration follows through on this and actually accomplishes something meaningful, my intense dislike for the man will decrease significantly.

I truly doubt if most politicians realize that this is literally a VITAL issue for most voters.
Trump has packed his administration with big pharma big shots. He talked big on the campaign trail but has cowered like a meek mouse once in office. As corrupt as it gets. Vote for someone who does not take donations from big pharma and the insurance industry. Starting in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Corporatism kills.
Capitalism when we like it. Corporatism when we don't.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:37 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
In the past you would have died because there would have been no cure. Maybe the medical industry should close up shop so you can blame god instead of them for your misfortune?

Old 08-16-2018, 06:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The single most important thing you have said, I believe, is "both parties." In most countries, health care is not a divisive issue. It is supported by both the left and the right as an essential part of having a humane and functional society.
Both parties should work together on all issues. Both parties should get together and side with my position on any given issue, which is essentially what you are saying. You're saying both sides should get together and enact the left's solutions. Well I say they should both get together and enact the right's solutions, or maybe the libertarians. So now what?

Old 08-16-2018, 06:39 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Trump has packed his administration with big pharma big shots. He talked big on the campaign trail but has cowered like a meek mouse once in office. As corrupt as it gets. Vote for someone who does not take donations from big pharma and the insurance industry. Starting in 2018.
Right who would that be? lol
Put the power in the hands of the people paying for the service. The concept of folks being free to make their own choices seems lost on you. But still you pretend to care. Touching.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Right who would that be? lol
Voting for someone who does not take donations from big pharma and the insurance industry is not hard. Just look at who their donors are.

You advocating for a Congolese system is so out of whack with reality its absurd. No country except the poorest countries in the world has such a system where the local witch doctor is paid out of pocket by consumers.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Go ask the Governor of Vermont, Shumlin, about what universal care cost. he tried to do it in his state.
OR; you could ask any one of all of the other countries that manage to do what the U.S. does not have the moral temerity to do.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Both parties should work together on all issues. Both parties should get together and side with my position on any given issue, which is essentially what you are saying. You're saying both sides should get together and enact the left's solutions. Well I say they should both get together and enact the right's solutions, or maybe the libertarians. So now what?
She didnt say anything about both parties having to get together and find a solution that is acceptable to both Wall Street and the people. The problem we have is that big money has such a ridiculous influence on public policy in America which is not the case in most other developed countries. Most developed countries would probably not have a national health care system if they had weak or non-existent labor union movements. Labor has always been at the forefront to make societies more democratic and humane. If workers are disorganized, the path to power is wide open for business elites to steamroll over ordinary people.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Go ask the Governor of Vermont, Shumlin, about what universal care cost. he tried to do it in his state.
No country in the world has a system where some parts of the country has universal health care and others have not. They have national health care systems. Just like Medicare is a national system.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
OR; you could ask any one of all of the other countries that manage to do what the U.S. does not have the moral temerity to do.
Temerity is the wrong word. There are genuine ideological and economic objections to universal healthcare at play here, whether you agree with them or not. It's not that we all agree on the issue but some just don't have the stones to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies