Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 05:46 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The idea of universal health care is great if it worked. Because we are a country of capitalism - and it's all about money - should we go the route of universal healthcare - we would end up not having enough doctors and the development of new drugs would stagnate because who is going to pay for it. Many doctors are already going into other fields - teaching, insurance companies - or joining large conglomerates / concierge services due to the increasing regulations and costs not only for overhead and malpractice insurance but lower disbursements from the insurance companies.

We are already facing a loss of primary care physicians and enrollment is down. To institute universal health care - would make the problem even greater. I too dislike the system in place right now and the high costs. Obama should have addressed these issues first before pushing thru the ACA because it's just gotten worse - not better.
It was designed to make things worse so we'd beg for universal healthcare. Obama and the left destroyed our healthcare system on purpose. By their thinking we must now reward them by supporting their replacement system. It's like buying a new house from the arsonist who burned down your old one, and his excuse is "your old house sucked anyway". Yeah but it kept the rain out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Sorry to hear this Joe, but you can blame it on your government friend. If it didn’t create so many regulatory barriers to entry then more people could create the medication and bring the price down.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The idea of universal health care is great if it worked. Because we are a country of capitalism - and it's all about money - should we go the route of universal healthcare - we would end up not having enough doctors and the development of new drugs would stagnate because who is going to pay for it. Many doctors are already going into other fields - teaching, insurance companies - or joining large conglomerates / concierge services due to the increasing regulations and costs not only for overhead and malpractice insurance but lower disbursements from the insurance companies.

We are already facing a loss of primary care physicians and enrollment is down. To institute universal health care - would make the problem even greater. I too dislike the system in place right now and the high costs. Obama should have addressed these issues first before pushing thru the ACA because it's just gotten worse - not better.
Maybe Americans need to address this whole "it's all about money" culture that is the source of a lot of social problems here.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
It was designed to make things worse so we'd beg for universal healthcare. Obama and the left destroyed our healthcare system on purpose. By their thinking we must now reward them by supporting their replacement system. It's like buying a new house from the arsonist who burned down your old one, and his excuse is "your old house sucked anyway". Yeah but it kept the rain out.
Obama and most of the other Wall Street democrats are swimming in cash from the insurance and pharma industry. Yet you believe they will disobey their donors who fund them on purpose to destroy the health care system? Thats some wacky stuff.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:03 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Go ask the Governor of Vermont, Shumlin, about what universal care cost. he tried to do it in his state.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
This is my No. 1 gripe about the U.S. It is outrageous that people should be facing bankruptcy and/or foreclosures or having to choose between buying medicine and buying food because of medical-related costs. BOTH parties should work together to correct this situation, and this ONE issue will determine who I will vote for in 2020.

P.S. on Edit: After doing a just a tiny bit of additional research about this, I found the following:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.97f830913c79

Now IF the Trump administration follows through on this and actually accomplishes something meaningful, my intense dislike for the man will decrease significantly.

I truly doubt if most politicians realize that this is literally a VITAL issue for most voters.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-16-2018 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 06:18 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is my No. 1 gripe about the U.S. It is outrageous that people should be facing bankruptcy and/or foreclosures or having to choose between buying medicine and buying food because of medical-related costs. BOTH parties should work together to correct this situation, and this ONE issue will determine who I will vote for in 2020.
Get the Fed Gov out of health care and divest public employee unions' pension plans from investing in Big Pharma and health insurance companies.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Get the Fed Gov out of health care
So advocating doing the opposite of what every other successful health care system is doing. Sounds like a successful plan.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Get the Fed Gov out of health care and divest public employee unions' pension plans from investing in Big Pharma and health insurance companies.
I honestly am not informed enough to have any opinion as to what the best method would be, but my suggestion would be for the government to research other countries with large populations who do have adequate healthcare for their citizens, choose the country that has the highest "customer satisfaction" (because that would factor in both the quality of the care and how much individuals will have to pay for it), and then COPY it.

And I don't give a damn whether that would result in a private pay, single payer, or Universal Health Care! And I also don't give a damn how many wealthy people might lose some money or that companies might not make as much profit as a result.

I don't mind paying my fair share in taxes or anything else as long as I feel as that I am getting a fair return for the money I pay.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-16-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

P.S. on Edit: After doing a just a tiny bit of additional research about this, I found the following:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.97f830913c79

Now IF the Trump administration follows through on this and actually accomplishes something meaningful, my intense dislike for the man will decrease significantly.

I truly doubt if most politicians realize that this is literally a VITAL issue for most voters.
The single most important thing you have said, I believe, is "both parties." In most countries, health care is not a divisive issue. It is supported by both the left and the right as an essential part of having a humane and functional society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies