Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I used to smoke pot a lot. It nearly killed me. I had allergies and developed asthma. It wasn’t until the year that I went to the emergency room more than a dozen times that I quit. I passed out at the ER door more than once. I was intubated about 8 times in that year. Now I am 70 and have severe asthma. Every time I get a cold I get severe bronchitis and my life is in danger. I still cannot grasp how people think that cigarettes are terrible (I never smoked them) but pot is ok.
Well, you do understand that most pot smokers don't experience what you did, right?

Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
I find the whole premise of this thread to be flawed, but prohibitionists can't see it. The thread is about "invisible pot addicts". It was mentioned on the first page, so why is everyone ignoring the obvious: The reason they are invisible is because they are, for the most part, productive healthy members of society, and virtually indistinguishable. So why are prohibitionists so hell-bent on creating a problem where none exists?

It is the same reason that law enforcement officers are (generally) a poor source for objective opinions on drugs. They see the riffraff of society day in and day out, the majority of whom use drugs. But they never see the responsible users, because responsible users and law enforcement rarely cross paths. But that does not stop the LEOS, drug counselors, doctors, judges, and others who deal with riffraff on a daily basis from believing it is the drugs that caused them to be riffraff, instead of the individuals.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:00 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ROFLMAO, couldn't rep you again, but I just read that to my S.O. and his son, and we all laughed uproariously. That was hilarious.
It is hilarious, and catastrophic at the same time. That comment, given on the floor of congress, has resulted in the death of so many countless victims (on both sides) of The War On Drugs that I just cannot bring myself to laugh.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
The method of smoking plays a huge role. For example, I always use product of sufficient potency that one or two hits from a bong is the right amount. Very little smoke escapes. That's completely different than smoking joints or otherwise not practicing efficient smoking methods. Those methods results in clothing and hair becoming saturated with the smell that anyone could pick up on.

So using only one's nose to determine who is a cannabis smoker and who isn't is not 100% foolproof.
I must admit that I hadn't considered the issue of clothes retaining the smell quite some time afterwards, and I guess it's possible that clothes could retain smell for quite some time.

Not an issue for me though - even though I'm of the big blazing joint school, I observe "protocols" which are intended to ensure I have no pot smelling clothes, breath, hair, hands etc.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:00 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most of us could see this coming, but the pro-drug people worked hard to convince people that pot is 100% harmless.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ddicts/567886/

the share of cannabis users who consume it daily or near-daily has jumped nearly 50 percent—all “in the context of increasingly permissive cannabis legislation, attitudes, and lower risk perception,” as the National Institutes of Health put it.po
When we spoke, he had been sober for a hard-fought seven weeks: seven weeks of sleepless nights, intermittent nausea, irritability, trouble focusing, and psychological turmoil.
Public-health experts worry about the increasingly potent options available, and the striking number of constant users. “Cannabis is potentially a real public-health problem,”
I’m sorry but this person must be a nutcase. Pot isn’t addicting. Almost everyone I know smokes it. Some have jobs where they are drug tested so there are weeks they have to abstain. There are no withdrawal symptoms. I used to smoke pot and quit. No big deal. How about we talk about cigarettes and nicotine which is very addicting and hard to stop

Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Weed leads to munchies. Opioids lead to death.
Actually illegal opioids can lead to death, because they are not regulated, anyone can lace it with anything they have lying around, thats what caused so many deaths when they were lacing elephant tranquilizer in the heroin...addicts didnt know what they were using.

If they legalized it, an regulate it, giving them pharmaceutical grade heroin, things would be much safer for everyone in the community.

Keep in mind, those that believe heroin and opioids need to remain highly illegal...the drug cartels have the same opinion as you do, let that sink in!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:18 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most of us could see this coming, but the pro-drug people worked hard to convince people that pot is 100% harmless.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ddicts/567886/

the share of cannabis users who consume it daily or near-daily has jumped nearly 50 percent—all “in the context of increasingly permissive cannabis legislation, attitudes, and lower risk perception,” as the National Institutes of Health put it.
When we spoke, he had been sober for a hard-fought seven weeks: seven weeks of sleepless nights, intermittent nausea, irritability, trouble focusing, and psychological turmoil.
Public-health experts worry about the increasingly potent options available, and the striking number of constant users. “Cannabis is potentially a real public-health problem,”
Hey look another posting by the uncomprehending.

So we have a guy, who went through a self destructive cycle, and it was pot induced. Uhuh! Sure thing. Nothing to do with intrinsic factors like general sloth, lack of application, excessive distraction, fear of failure, fear of success, etc. etc. etc. Without some form of analysis it's going to be hard to determine if his pot consumption increased because he was a screw up, or it caused his screw up.

But! (I hear from the peanut gallery)

Daily users has increased nearly 50%. Which is interesting but without knowing the ratio of daily users to all users, we don't know if that's 1 more daily user or 30 million more. For example if we take a hypothetical percentage, 10% of users use daily, now 14.5% use daily, but if 1% use daily, then 1.45% now use daily. The increase may be insignificant, and an effect of people admitting now legal behavior, that they would not admit when criminal.

The fact the article claims these are "invisible" addicts, tells a story. The US has millions of invisible caffeine addicts, they hold down jobs, keep up relationships manage their lives. Where's the concern about the increasingly potent options available (Red Bull, Rockstar, etc.) and the striking number of constant users, "Caffeine is potentially a real public health problem".

See what I did there? If these addicts are invisible it's really a non-issue sociologically, there's no impact on society. If there is an impact they can't be invisible, and there must be a measurable impact.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:08 AM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Pot heads just want to be dopes and are at least successful at something as a result.

`

Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll take your word for it. I don't know anyone who smokes to that extent. Most smokers I know personally are like me--a couple of hits in the evening, a couple more as the night progresses. Three or four blunts a day, lol--I'd be turning around in circles not sure what I was doing.

I don't believe I am irritable when I stop. I LIKE to stop for a day or few here and there. It clears the head. It's not like coffee. Until I have that in the morning, I am cranky and I know it.

Yeah, I've been around addicts my whole life, too. Married one and gave birth to one, as a matter of fact, neither of whom ever much liked weed.

Those people mostly just sit around and talk philosophy and then can't remember what they talked about a couple days before lol.

I have a couple cousins like this and their group of friends are similar to them. They are super potheads IMO. One I'm glad got pregnant so stopped smoking due to being pregnant and is now a regular person lol. The baby is due in a few months though so she'll probably go back to it. She probably smoked 2-3 blunts a day. She always had a blunt with her and smoked the entire thing!

FWIW my mom was the same way - but back then she smoked little "reefer joints" you know the ones with zig-zags or Tops papers. She smoke about 5 joints a day when I was a kid until she started working at a factory and couldn't sustain that habit. She admits she smoked because she was depressed about her life. She stopped smoking the weed because she felt she was "stuck" and wanted to improve her life. Lots of young people I know who smoke it, IMO they are also "stuck" and honestly they aren't all that bright. They always want me to think for them (my young cousins) or find something for them and that is very strange for me since when I was their age (in my 20s) I was a go-getter and felt I could do anything and I didn't even smoke weed lol. But that may just be the culture today - everyone thinking everything is against them and they can't do anything in their day to day lives, etc.

I also know some people who are bi-polar who smoke it to remain calm and balance out their highs and lows of their illness. I personally hope that more research develops a treatment for those suffering from bi-polar disorder made from cannabis so they don't have to smoke it for its benefits. People I know who use it for that illness, they have huge improvements in their day to day lives and their moods are stabilized. But people who don't have this condition, it seems like they are depressed when they don't get their weed. My spouse used to be depressed when he didn't smoke. When he stopped he was actually in a depressive sort of funk for over a month and he and others to this day tell me it makes them feel happy/better and takes them away from reality and to help them relax/fall asleep. IMO that is indicative of other issues that people should treat or work through instead of literally covering them up with smoke and ignoring them for a spell.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
See what I did there?
Yes, you tried to compare potent pot to soft drinks and caffeine. It is what pro-drug people always do.

Quote:
If these addicts are invisible it's really a non-issue sociologically, there's no impact on society. If there is an impact they can't be invisible, and there must be a measurable impact
They are invisible because they have gone from being productive citizens to being non-productive aka invisible. Well, they are still visible when they emerge from their bedrooms to pick up their welfare checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies