Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 11:39 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Once again, from the article that I linked

[i]"Compared to other substances, marijuana is not very addicting. It is estimated that 32% of tobacco users will become addicted, 23% of heroin users, 17% of cocaine users, and 15% of alcohol users. Cocaine and heroin are more physically harmful and nicotine is much more addictive. It is much harder to quit smoking cigarettes than it is to quit smoking pot."/I]
I've never had a problem quitting pot with no side effects. It's very easy. Just run out of pot and money and bingo! You're cured.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I've never had a problem quitting pot with no side effects. It's very easy. Just run out of pot and money and bingo! You're cured.
Exactly

Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Surely all the folks clamouring to lock up pot users would prescribe the same treatment to the rich guys now investing in it on Wall Street?

Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have no doubt people can be psychologically addicted to cannabis, hell, people can become psychologically addicted to virtually anything.

But like alcohol?

Can you cite cases where cannabis users have gone through anything physically close to withdrawal from alcohol, the DTs? I have literally witnessed, and I swear this is the truth, an alcoholic lick a spilled rink from a dirty floor. I've certainly never seen nor heard of anything remotely close to that about a cannabis user.

I'll confess to not having read all the cited articles on lung cancer risk but from what I skimmed I saw no attempt to equate quantities of smoke. My guess would be the average cigarette smoker probably smokes a pack a day. Twenty cigarettes with what? Maybe 8-10 puffs each? Is that compared anywhere with a cannabis user who may well only take two hits a day? And let's not forget smoking is not the only way cannabis is used.

And I'm not advocating anyone use/not use cannabis, IMO it should be a personal choice for anyone over 21.
The damage caused by alcoholism is far greater than anything that will ever be caused by cannabis use. Destroys your liver and is physically addicting. This is why when an alcoholic comes to a treatment center wanting to detox, he always gets first priority over heroin addicts. This is because an alcoholic can DIE if you stop drinking suddenly without treatment. Heroin addicts will get sick during withdrawal, but it is generally not life threatening. And of course with cannabis there is little or no physical addiction, not even in the same ballpark as alcohol.

https://www.livescience.com/15300-al...wal-death.html

Old 08-22-2018, 12:41 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Which chemicals in cannabis have not been studied?
Not only that, but for some reason most people ignore the fact that the USA itself, over the course of the last 50 years, has been the biggest "study" of the effects of a substance ever conducted.

The results are that if all the doom, gloom, perils, and damnation were even 1/10th of what the prohibitionists claim they have evidence of, there would be no such thing as an available hospital bed or open graveyard plot.

Last edited by Raddo; 08-22-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Surely all the folks clamouring to lock up pot users would prescribe the same treatment to the rich guys now investing in it on Wall Street?
Probably so.

To them it's about forcing a "family values" religious agenda down everyone's throat.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Probably so.

To them it's about forcing a "family values" religious agenda down everyone's throat.
Well at least they'd be consistent in that case.

But there is a different segment altogether who just want to punish the poor.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I think that what you are interpreting as coming across as "weed is not harmful" is really just salvos being launched against prohibition.

Someone said earlier I was "pro-weed", but that really isn't true. What I am instead is viciously anti-prohibition. There's a big difference, and it doesn't always come across when discussing this subject.

I'm interpreting it as the people who say it are potheads and they ignore the risks of smoking it in particular.

I also am against prohibition, I explicitly stated that in nearly every post that I posted here....

That I want it to be legal and only those who abuse it will have negative health issues associated with it.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How come in all my years I've never heard one person say it's healthy. Not one. I'm sure there are people out there who say it but they are an infinitesimal number. So why make a point out of it?

Does it have health benefits for some? Of course but I have yet to hear anyone say it's "healthy".
You make things up too much.

Probably because you don't know as many potheads as I do lol.

There are many people I know (and note these are not stereotypical weed smokers or low income people) who truly believe that it is "good" and "healthy" for them or that the benefits of the "high" outweigh the risks of the smoke.

And you say too many childish things too much in your immature accusations. I always picture you stomping your foot say "now there!!" lol.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Once again, from the article that I linked

[i]"Compared to other substances, marijuana is not very addicting. It is estimated that 32% of tobacco users will become addicted, 23% of heroin users, 17% of cocaine users, and 15% of alcohol users. Cocaine and heroin are more physically harmful and nicotine is much more addictive. It is much harder to quit smoking cigarettes than it is to quit smoking pot."/I]

I explicitly stated my "point" in the post of mine that you posted - that marijuana is addictive.

You posting it's addictive qualities in comparison to cigarettes and heroin does not negate my "point" that it is addictive too....

What was the point of you trying to compare addictive qualities when I didn't say that weed was like heroin...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies